Strange Behavior from a competitor

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
A block of town houses had contaminated water backup into them yesterday. We got a call from the owner of three of them and sent out 3-crews. While there a neighbor of one of the units we were processing asked us for an estimate on hers. There are several other competitors processing work there, the story was there were 30-town homes affected, varying in degree.

A few hours later the owner of one of our competitors comes running over to my supervisor and asks how many did we get. He tells him three and the competitor laughs and says “we got 5 of them and didn’t you estimate that one? We got it too, took it right from you.” He goes on to say the insurance agent used to work for him so when the owner called it in the agent recommended him. :icon_neutral:

Not done yet, he asks” how’s your year been?” Before my supervisor could even answer he starts boasting “It’s been a great year, just great. We bought three new trucks, see that Butler over there, its brand new, just got it!” :icon_rolleyes:

Later when my supervisor came back he told me the story he was puzzled why the guy came over. Either the guy is a flake or he’s super competitive. Either way it was strange behavior for sure.
At 5:00 pm we get another unrelated water loss, I look over at my supervisor and say you want to call our competitor and let him know we got one he didn’t? :p

It’s all kind of risky work, the owners blame the city and the city told then to turn in a claim. Our experience is the city denies the claims and only uses that line to avoid a confrontation. Now if the city calls us we always get paid but turning in a claim, rarely unless you hire an attorney and file suit once denied.

Now not that I hope he doesn’t get paid on his 5-losses BUT…..maybe Karma will kick in! :winky:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I think its sort of sad that the most exciting thing he can find to do with his life is to get into a "mine's bigger than yours" conversation with the employee of a competitor.

You must really make this guy feel threatened.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I've told this story here before:

When I was about 10, I was walking through our neighborhood and I saw a lady I knew with a handful of dog feces in a wad of paper towel charging over to the house across the street from hers. As she stepped onto the property, and the husband and wife came out of their door, I heard a screaming match about their (the couple's) dog having taken a dump in the lady's (I am now using the word "lady" in some jest) yard. She (the "lady") threw the dog feces into their yard and stalked off screaming over her shoulder about the errant dog's deposit.

I was shocked and went home to tell my father about the entire scene I witnessed.

He just said:

"Just feel sorry for her Jim. The most exciting and important thing in her life right now is a pile of dog s**t"

I think that's sort of how I see this competitor of yours......

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL

It puzzled me as to "why" last night but fortunately you get back into the flow of the day and it forces you to move on and tackle the next real issue.

"a pile of dog sh*t" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom