Stuborn Grout?

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
I'm sure this has been discussed before BUT, I did a res job and I hit it pretty hard with Viper Venom, twice!! But could not get the grout to come clean. Didnt even really budge it. I did the same customers bathroom and it came up great.

I read the post by Mikey about greasy grout, but that sounded like it was for mostly commercial.

What can I get around here locally that would really get the grout clean? I havent done alot of tile and grout so forgive my ignorance!

Mikey P

Administrator
Could very well be stained all the way through.

Try scrapping the surface with a grout saw (or flat head screwdriver) to see how deep the stain/soil is.

Any and all Tile and Grout Cleaners need to learn how to Color Seal if they want to be a Professional.

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
I've come across that a few times and found it to be a cheap grout identified in my area as TEC. Junk. Talk the custy into color sealing.

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
Hey Ron, thanks for the whole Viper Venom sucks thing, preciate ya!! Now tell me what to get.
So, basicly nothing can get it up if its soiled all the way through? But maybe try an acid cleaner? Like Viper Renew?

Color sealing would be great but not sure how to do it or what to charge.

I also have Jusons Juice, If I boost that real heavy will that maybe clean it?

She says last time she did it herself with some clorox stuff and the toiler power scrubber and it came real clean, so this is a little embarrasing.

Dude I did wonders on her carpet and she loves me for that though.

Man I need to learn more about tile and grout, anyone recommend a class?

TimP

Run an acid. Like viper renew. I apply it to the grout lines only pretty much cause it's expensive as hell. Let it dwell 10 minutes scrub with your blue brush and rinse. Neutralise as you see fit, with neutral rinse or throw some alkaline on and clean the rest of the tile like I do. If the tile is real dirty it's nice to scrub the tile it with a buffer.

If the acid don't get it, color seal it. That's you're only option other than learning poultices....but if it's almost everywhere it's definitely easier to color seal.

Good luck!!

Name
Ron lippold
for bad grout I use harvards 410 and and any orange juice Its like hittin it from both sides did 3500 sq ft today just like a breeze.

Gary T

Viper Venom does suck. TOG Deep Clean, Unitex hard surface cleaner 14 PH from Jon Don, Prochem Heavy Duty T&G cleaner, are all far better. Do your alk cleaning first, then acid(acid doesn't clean, it etches) Rinse thoroughly with turbo. If it makes you feel better you can rinse with an alk cleaner, I do not as it is not necessary if you rinse well. You can boost your alk with oxyblaster for better results. 20 min dwell on heavily soiled grout with oxy should get great results.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Gary T said:
Viper Venom does suck. TOG Deep Clean, Unitex hard surface cleaner 14 PH from Jon Don, Prochem Heavy Duty T&G cleaner, are all far better. Do your alk cleaning first, then acid(acid doesn't clean, it etches) Rinse thoroughly with turbo. If it makes you feel better you can rinse with an alk cleaner, I do not as it is not necessary if you rinse well. You can boost your alk with oxyblaster for better results. 20 min dwell on heavily soiled grout with oxy should get great results.

Do you apply the acid right after the alkyline without rinsing in between?

TimP

You can throw the acid in first or second it don't matter too much in a residential home usually. If it's greasy you have to get the grease off the grout first. Otherwise I usually go with acid first rinse then throw down an alkaline and rinse. I feel better about neutralizing it with the alkaline second. Grout is naturally alkaline....

Just make sure your tile don't react to the acid before using it. If it does that means you can damage the tile....as in stone

Gary T

I do alk, rinse, acid, rinse. 99.9% of the time I do not neutralize. When using acid cleaners, when the fizzing is done the reaction is done. I rinse well and am done with it. You do need to rinse between though, or else the chems will neutralize each other and won't do much good.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Take Gary's advice on products & procedures!

Did you check to see if its got some sort of wax or coating, that's one of the first questions I ask the homeowner or look for during inspection, if they have waxed over dirty grout you wont be able to clean the grout unless the wax is dealt with first.

This Old Grouts Deep clean is also a stripper, but if its a thick layer then use a stronger stripper & if its a natural stone then use Aqua Mix Sealer & Coating remover.

Gary T

Put a few drops of acid cleaner on the grout. If you don't get any fizz, more than likely there is some type of coating like Mop&Glo which regular cleaners won't budge. You'll need a good stripper if that is the case.

Mikey P

Administrator
Keep a few of your area's most popular colors on hand. In most cases you'll be selling them on it during your estimate.

At that point in time you'll have the home owner pick the color and you can order it. Over time you'll form a collection of half used quarts. A little goes a long ways.

Latest posts

Latest Auctions

Back
Top Bottom