Sunbrella interior upholstery fabric

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Just got a call and scheduled a job to clean a sectional couch with that stuff. I don't remember ever cleaning it, so I'm not sure if there's anything different I need to do. The customer said it's some bullet proof type fabric against spots and spills.

Any tips?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

I think this is the instructions for the homeowner when they want to clean it themselves. I read somewhere it says it's 100% acrylic fiber material

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Just got a call and scheduled a job to clean a sectional couch with that stuff. I don't remember ever cleaning it, so I'm not sure if there's anything different I need to do. The customer said it's some bullet proof type fabric against spots and spills.

Any tips?
Act like it is hard to clean, then enjoy. Awesome results with minimal effort. HWE key.

Sunbrellas name is strarting to be said when it is not really. Still probably an easy clean.

Give it a wipe with a clean dry towel if your into extra mile stuff.

Dwell time makes it even easier.

Set up a full table and really nail the corners and piping and the sides. Then the main area. Production line style.

Post some pics........

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SamIam and BIG WOOD

Hack Attack

Name
Dan

Any tips?
I see it often on yachts and launches, it's not as mold proof as claimed but generally cleans up well. Maybe spike your prespray with a solvent if on the greasy side

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Luky

Name
Mario

Any tips?
Sunbrella is best known for making awning material, hence the " bullet proof " reference from Custy. I don't think you can hurt it with anything, but you might have a hard time to use upholstery tool, material will start to fold, if you don't use vacuum relief.
Foam it with a sponge, wipe , mist it, wipe , repeat as needed; a thick cotton towel would be great. I think that topical treatment will work just fine.
Let us know how it went so we can learn from your mistakes😉

Ramacciotti

Name
Eric
I have tried to clean sunbrella awnings with significant dirt/mold and it has not done well. More recently I have seen it on patio furniture. It does not do well either. I have had some success with Sporicidin Mold and Mildew Remover. I have used regular upholstery detergents and HWE when cleaning.

Part of the issue is the client waiting too long to call because they think it will clean well.

Eric

Name
Jeff T
I have tried to clean sunbrella awnings with significant dirt/mold and it has not done well. More recently I have seen it on patio furniture. It does not do well either. I have had some success with Sporicidin Mold and Mildew Remover. I have used regular upholstery detergents and HWE when cleaning.

Part of the issue is the client waiting too long to call because they think it will clean well.

Eric
And to add to that, the material is porous, and the mold growth happens INSIDE the stuffing of any outdoor upholstery…
So, you are treating it topically, but will NEVER be able to get the black mold (often years of neglect) out of said furniture….

I’ve often seen the client use a pressure washer or other method to ‘clean’ things, and do NOT dry them, the issues get worse, then they call out of desperation.

It then becomes our problem…

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Pemberton

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You can hurt it with heat. Turn your flame thrower down or it can shrink. Might not be noticed if outdoor cushions, but we've had to replace some fabric before we learned our lesson.

Glen Raven says nothing over 80F.

Sunbrellas name is strarting to be said when it is not really. Still probably an easy clean.
I've seen plenty of knock-off (Asian) "Sunbrella" that loses color when you clean it. Always test.

Reactions: Mike J

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
You can hurt it with heat. Turn your flame thrower down or it can shrink. Might not be noticed if outdoor cushions, but we've had to replace some fabric before we learned our lesson.

I've seen plenty of knock-off (Asian) "Sunbrella" that loses color when you clean it. Always test.
This is indoor fabric

Brian H

Name
Brian H

We do quite a few outdoor cushions every year and testing is always part of the process now. We too learned the lesson the hard way.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
We do quite a few outdoor cushions every year and testing is always part of the process now. We too learned the lesson the hard way.
I've cleaned outdoor fabric also where color was removed from cleaning. But I just assumed it was damaged from being out in direct sunlight to be the cause. I never took responsibility for it because the customer never properly brought the fabric in when it wasn't being used but I have added that in my discussion with them about the possible risk of cleaning if it looks like it's sat out in the weather for a long period of time

Reactions: Brian H

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Nothjing to do with weather - everything to do with not being real outdoor fabric. A case of manufacturer not knowing (or caring) about the bye being UV stabile. Even cushions made with outdoor fabric are sometimes sewn togeether with non UV stabilized thread. The seams pop apart in handling.

Back
Top Bottom