Tackless coming through carpet

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Got a work order from one of my prop manager clients today:
"Tenant tells me the carpet spikes are poking through the
carpet where you enter the kitchen. Can you please mend
somehow, even if only flattening them or something.
Carpet is poked at this place anyway so no need to spend
heaps. "

I'm guessing there is a tackless strip behind the transition and the carpet is worn - what would you do? I'm thinking maybe adding a heavy strip of glue or gluing a couple of layers of jute backing strips across the area to build it up? Haven't seen the job yet.
I don't have a power stretcher, just a knee kicker. It is also quite common here to have a tackless strip and no transition, butted right up to a tiled area.

I just thought this would be a good example for the Toolbox and to give me a few possibilities before I go there.

Cousin

Heath, just get a hammer and tap the tacks down, laying them over towards the edge of the carpet.

If it's a light weight carpet (say below 20 oz) should have installed edge capping.

If they used Chinese perimeter gripper, well they shouldn't have. The tacks vary in height with the cheapies, and some will poke through regardless of the weight of the carpet.

M

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Thanks Michael - I assume you mean without lifting the carpet?
Also, what is edge capping and a chinese perimeter gripper? I have a lot to learn :roll:

Cousin

Yes don't lift the carpet Heath. Tap the tacks over lightly onto the carpet (backing), just be careful not to hammer them too hard, or you'll end up with 'holes' where the pushed over tack pulls the backing away. It will happen a little, just try and minimise it.
Edge capping is an aluminium strip with pins in it, to hold the carpet, and a plastic strip that slots into it, covering the tacks, edge of the carpet and edge of the abutting flooring.
Chinese perimeter gripper is a cheap alternative to our smoothedge. I can't use smoothedge in reports as its a commercial name, so I always refer to perimeter gripper.

M

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
On the subject of "Chinese perimeter gripper", do you still find the one that was made out of chipboard or cardboard ??

I usually find it in accommodation places, hotels/motels, and on poly carpet. when there is a water damage restoration to be done.

When it gets wet, it pops up along the wall.

And the tight manager wants you to re-install the carpet on it, yeah right :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ooroo :roll:

safeclean

Gday Shorty

First thing to do is inspec the backing if you find it ripped, torn or not there at all than forget about re stretching if this is the case than patching and replacing the strip would be the best alternative if you can not do that than I have sometimes pulled up all the carpet and turned it around than relayed as this will give me a better backing to hook onto during the re stretch if that makes any sense. I do not recommend the vinyl strip as the same problem persists with the pins on the metal bar. Sometimes you can get away with using two tackless strips.

I would not hammer down the nails as the carpet will loose its stretch and people can trip, in saying that if the pins are coming thru I will hammner down lightly tape up for safety reasons until landlord has approved extra works.

Craig

ultraclean

We just did a similar job last week carpet was badly worn and very thin just fitted a ripple strip to cover the smooth edge at the transition.

Stevea

Heath,

Look on your video, it has information on it for that purpose. The repair will also cover this type of situation.

SA

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Heathrow ,
another option is to use duct tape as many layers as you need . This will shorten the pin height. Also if you can get your hands on e-pin tackless or even j-pin would also work great for jutes, wiltons and velvets.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Would melting some kool tape on the backing work good? I was thinking that it might have a better hold than duct tape.

safeclean

Charles that is a great idea but if the backing is weak than the kool glide will burn the tape just have to be careful.

Craig

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Did the job today - if you could call it that (bit of a fizzer after all that :roll: )
Carpet was so worn that to release and roll it back would have disintegrated it, so I took M's advice and simply knocked the points back lightly with a hammer. Whole carpet needs replacing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom