Talked with the comp. owner today

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Added 11-21-07:
I just realized this was moved, which means I posted it in the wrong room again. I have a bad habit of doing that. I meant to post it in the bird room. Sorry.
End Added Material.

Original Message:
He was in a little bit of a bad mood, thinking negatively about how taxes are going to skyrocket if a Democrat gets elected, and how it will cause him to make cutbacks.

I thought to myself, "I am the newest employee (other than laborers) and my carpet cleaning doesn't bring near the money that the disaster guys bring... This could mean my job."

He sensed my worry, and let me in on a little secret.

"We can't run the company without you Gary. If we fire you, we would have to replace you, and I know of nobody who could fill your shoes. You will be the last to go. If things get really bad, it will be me and my partner running the disaster side, and you will be running the carpet side. In other words, you won't lose your job any sooner than I will."

Boy that makes me feel good.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Start looking for another job now.
Carpet cleaning isn't rocket science.

In his words was the warning.

diamond brian

Hi Gary. I think I said it before: you're way too smart and conscientious not to be an o/o. Tell this joker you want to buy him out--seriously.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Money only ties the dream down so long....eventually that desire will get the best of you, and you will go out on your own.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
This company has no debt, plenty of assets and we're the first call for most disaster work. It's not going down. He was just venting. I was talking to him while he was sitting down with his check-book writing enough checks to use up $200 in postage mailing them out. You can ask anybody in my town, B&B is the strongest company here. If we can't make it, nobody can.

BTW, this company at last appraisal was worth ten times the amount of money I have made in my entire life. No way I can buy him out.

Like I've said many times before. If I went with my idea of becoming a new start-up, with the resources I could have pulled together, I would have gone broke and went out of business in six months even with a second job. I pretended like I owned this place and kept track of what I spent and what I made, and at six months it was painfully obvious that I would not have made it on my own.

Man. Every time I have good news or say anything all you guys tell me to do is go screw my boss and work somewhere else. Point taken, and I will listen to a thousand "I told you so's" if this doesn't work out, but for the last time I'm not going to start my own company right now or any time in the foreseeable future.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Both eyes open! You have to think about what your future holds. Carpet cleaning can be run on the by and by (Low Expense). Just be ready IF the day comes. It would'nt hurt to start putting something away for that TM/ van IF that day comes. But sense your happy doing what your doing keep the course. I just wished I started earlier and did'nt up and move to a new state and start all over again. Besides does'nt everyone get a little shell shocked like the owner when they sit down to pay bills? Best of luck to you. :)

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
word of caution.............

when the shit hits the fan

every one is expendable........

diamond brian

Not saying "screw your boss".

Lots of small biz owners carry the note when they sell. Just something to think about.

Driguy

Yeah, Gary why don't you start your own business man? I'm your age, and i have thought about it.

the ROI of your own business can pay out HUGE, later on in life.

John Buxton

being self employed isnt all its cracked up to be either. If this company does ever go under you can go out on your own then. I say milk this cow for as long as you can.

Greenie

"Man. Every time I have good news or say anything all you guys tell me to do is go screw my boss and work somewhere else. Point taken, and I will listen to a thousand "I told you so's" if this doesn't work out, but for the last time I'm not going to start my own company right now or any time in the foreseeable future."

Gary, just for the record, I am not one who said go out on your own. Stay your course, nobody knows your situation, your boss, your market better than you do, business is business you guys have a symbiotic relationship, as long as it's healthy both parties will benefit, and if the day should come that it's not healthy, you will know it's coming to the end of it's cycle.
You personally will do fine in this industry, whatever road you choose.

There are plenty of owners that should have taken a job long ago, to include a few that post here, so stay your course.

I value your input and think many others can learn from it, it's not always that an owner can have the luxury of "seeing" the world from a technicians point of view because many of those out there never were a tech, and probably should have been before setting out, myself included.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Carpet Cleaning is an important service for your company.

Our company is 80% restoration and carpet cleaning is less than 15%, but it's a VERY service important to our company. Why? Because it's the first impression people have about our company.

If you stumble out of the gate with carpet cleaning, good luck when it comes to a fire or water loss at their home.

You have job security with them (as much as anyone can have) because you care about the service you are delivering and the company you work for.

Keep up the good work,
Richard

BRSUMMERVILLE

Every one has their bad days, even employers. As for my self (two heart attacks recently), I hope I can continue cleaning again without problems. Let face it, we all have doubt about the future. But, if you have a desire to do something, go for it.

Bob Rock

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
If you're making $75Gs as a cleaning tech you make more than most business owners here net without all the bullsh. I doubt I net more than that after all my expenses. Keep your day job.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I'm not making 75G's yet. Once I go onto commission (ie: have enough business) we will draw up a contract in which I will have a guaranteed salary of 75Gs or more if I build the company to a two to three truck operation with a gross of at least a half million a year. I imagine I will have that done in about 5 years.

I am a pretty simple guy. Once my salary breaks 40Gs I will be putting a lot of money away, because I only need 17Gs to live very comfortably, or 12Gs to scrape by.

Money in the bank can be used for a number of things, one of which being a company start up if I need it.

I appreciate your input guys, but running your own business is a large task for somebody with a 9th grade education, 7th grade being the last one I ever actually got a passing grade in.

F

FB7777

Do you see your boss having the desire and capital to grow the carpet cleaning side to the necessary 2-3 truck level and $500K gross for you to enjoy that $75K salary?

If he is looking at the possibility of downsizing the restoration side will he commit the funds to grow the carpet cleaning?

I think most here are raising the point about running your own show over genuine concern for your best interests.

Noone here wants to see you work the next 5 years making the same dough and no progress towards your goals.

Fred

PS Don't sell yourself short on the 9th grade education thing, formalized public education doesn't hold a candle to common sense, street smarts and desire.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
If it was me I would start looking at a starter TM and van.

Keep this from your employer for now.

Get some nice business cards.

Be ready to go out and pass those cards around in the spring.

You have the right mentality to do this for your self.

The only thing for certain in life is death.

Its the journey we all take thats important.

Don't look back on your life and say I shoulda done this or that.

People are here to help you.

Regardless of the sarcastic comments and harassing we all want to help.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I went back to work for someone else after 9 years as an O/O. They lied about the income potential and the working conditions, etc. I lasted 8 months which was 5 months too long. I don't quit anything easy. You are good to work for someone to learn the tech and business end. Can't fault you for that. Most here have the best interest for others at heart. Just filter what you hear. best wishes to you. :)

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I'm really not that offended. I do thank you guys for caring and offering me advice. It has all been noted. I will learn eventually if this is the place for me. All signs point to yes, so I will be staying until it looks bad. Same with any job. As long as it looks like things are going well, I will stay. I am not going to blindly stay at a job that looks like it has no future. The folks that know the business have all told me how lucky I am to be working for this company as opposed to the other job offers I received.

Jayson

I'm the exact same situation as you for the most part. I've was an O/O for quite some time, moved and now I was hired by a restoration company to start up his carpet and tile cleaning division. I have full run of the show from marketing to purchasing. He pays me on a hourly basis with a 5% bonus on every job and 20% commission on any added on site services. That is while I have a single truck.
As soon as I hit 3+ trucks I go to 100% salary with a % bonus of the gross sales on a weekly basis and I get to step off the truck and take care of the bigger issues that arise with multiple truck operations, estimates, marketing, etc.
It's next to the best thing that has ever happened to me. Alot less headaches and making good money with the potential to make more money than I've ever made.
Stick it out and take it for what it is. If your company ever goes under you will be in a better situation than most people form all the knowlage you've gained.

GRHeacock

I was an employee for some 20 years, for some 20 different companies.

The main reason I left most companies was not the money, but the boss's attitude.

Yes, some WAS about money, working for cheapskates, or paychecks bouncing, so- goodbye.

The last employer I worked for was a great guy, pay was right, and working conditions.

Then he retired, and his son-in-law took over. Time to say goodbye, and go out on my own. That was a good move for me.

One guy that stayed with this company for over 20 years was fired one day when he got into an argument with the boss. Out on his ear. Not good.

It can happen.

I say- stay as long as it is working for you- BUT!! be prepared with an alternative plan.

Gary

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
I was an employee for some 20 years, for some 20 different companies.

The main reason I left most companies was not the money, but the boss's attitude.

Gary no offense, but as an employer who has conducted his fair share of interviews over the years with job hoppers, I'd say that more than likely what you lacked was direction.

Ivan

GRHeacock

Ivan- you are probably right.

I did stay for years for a couple, and some were bait and switch outfits, some owners bounced paychecks, some owners were wanting me to use methods or chemicals I knew were wrong or hazardous, so I left after a few weeks. One guy had us work on Saturdays around the plant for free. Plus he only paid minimum wage, and at that time it was $1.00 per hour. Goodbye.

I was with my last employer for 6 years.

But in the back of my mind, I always wanted to own and run my own business. I had tried it 3 times and failed, so had to work for someone again.

The 4th time was a success.

Gary

Rob Lyon

Name
Rob Lyon
Ivan's comments fit my situation about the same, However,

Do What makes you happy, I had no problem working for others, I was just working for the wrong people!!

All The Best, Rob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom