Tapping into VCT

175 or Square Scrub

• Total voters

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
Would you buy a Square Scrub to strip wax? I know there are several ways, of getting good results. But whats the absolute easiest and most preferred way?

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I hate doing VCT, we got into it and got right out...took up too much time. But had we stayed in it I definitely would've got a Square Scrub.

Reactions: Total_Rookie

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Not sure what other markets will bear, but we are able to make REAL $$$ on it here.

Yes, it's hard work. This is especially true in the beginning when figuring out everything you need. I use a 175 to strip. I'm getting much better with it and my confidence has grown. I learned while charging good money. Ideally, I wish I could have learned elsewhere,while working for someone else.

A good wet vac designed specifically for the removal of the slurry will be HUGE. If you have that and a 175...the rest doesn't cost much.

We are headed to NY for a week to see my dad. I've got almost 3K ft.² of VCT to come home to. It could be done in a LONG day and would make for an incredibly profitable day, especially when considering I will be alone! That being said, I will take 2 days to do it. I've got the time.

Most don't want to touch it. I'm glad for guys like Marty.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I hate it and need to charge more.....or get out.

Good to hear you're getting good money for it Russ. I may contact you.

Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
The numbers aren't there. (In real life.)

The BB world is a different story
Different markets are ...different.

Don't let Marty's cynicism deter you. Your market might be similar to his and MAYBE there's not enough $ in it for you.

BUT maybe your market (and attitude) is better than Marty's and you can really make some money!

If I can make $150/hour without turning on my Truckmount...I'm in!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I hate it and need to charge more.....or get out.

Good to hear you're getting good money for it Russ. I may contact you.
I have to think our markets are VERY similar.

I was happy cleaning carpet, tile, and upholstery. Ok, not upholstery. I hate cleaning upholstery.

I had enough unsolicited VCT inquiries that I thought it would be a mistake not to try. I started to bid HIGH. High enough to get excited about it.

I was amazed that most of these companies didn't bat an eye at my "high" prices. What's the worst they could do, go with someone else? I would have been happy to continue without offering VCT at all.

I've found it will open doors to some commercial carpet/upholstery/cubicles. These have consistently become my biggest tickets every year. I NEVER used to be able to land such big ticket jobs.

I LOVE when a company calls and tells us they've got carpet and VCT (they all do) they want us to take a look at.

Homeowners are hibernating in Iowa. This commercial work is crucial for us since I'm not doing water damage.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey
Name
Bruce
Would you buy a Square Scrub to strip wax? I know there are several ways, of getting good results. But whats the absolute easiest and most preferred way?
I have a Betco Square Scrub and I love it, it's a very aggressive machine. You can dry strip with it but you will need a vac system , the dust is just like dry wall dust. The only time I dry strip with it is when it's a floor that I have already done , then I know what to expect in how many layers of wax.
The "EASIEST" way to to do VCT is charge the amount of money you want to make on the job, do not charge what the other companies are charging, getting the dollars you want will always make the job easier.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
You need to cheats for you not compete with Paul.

You need to get help. Doing vct alone will burn you out and you will hate it for sure.

The smaller the job the more money per square foot.

Philip Hamby

Name
Philip Hamby
I used to think that VCT was to hard to make money at. Then we switched to a company called Zing they have a product called floor prep. It eliminates stripping. We loved it so much that we are now their national distributor. If your curious how to make money on VCT without all the work check it out.
Simple Floor Care

Philip Hamby

Name
Philip Hamby
Thanks. It's an interesting process bc CPC compound helps protect the finish from getting imbedded dirt. Then the Floor Prep actually opens the pores of the wax and pulls the dirt out without losing any finish.

What products do you currently use?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Philip Hamby

Name
Philip Hamby
Oh and I agree about the square scrub. They work but are not worth the noise or mess. If I ever have to strip again I would go back to useing an Aztec Sidewinder. It's the fastest stripper I've ever seen/used.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thanks. It's an interesting process bc CPC compound helps protect the finish from getting imbedded dirt. Then the Floor Prep actually opens the pores of the wax and pulls the dirt out without losing any finish.

What products do you currently use?
We don't do much with floors. We have the equipment, just no desire at this point. I do appreciate those that are good at the craft though. :cool:

Philip Hamby

Name
Philip Hamby
We don't do much with floors. We have the equipment, just no desire at this point. I do appreciate those that are good at the craft though. :cool:

That's understandable. Like a few others in this thread a lot of people are fed up with floors in general. What's your main focus then? Carpets?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Instead of a wet vac to remove the slurry from stripping, I use a portable to rinse using a neutral rinse and a hard surface (gecko) tool. Much better than mopping.
Maybe so. I sold my (2) powerflite portys. They were a BEAR to wrestle with alone. Especially when you add mop buckets and 175's.

I bet it does a great job though. 2 man team?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom