Tear out pad?

Discussion in 'Water, Fire, & Smoke Damage' started by Stevie Bs, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Stevie Bs
    Stevie Bs

Do you guys tear out pad on every job, even if it's a cat 1 and not very old?
    Every WD company I ask say they tear it out regardless. I don't.
    Just curious as to why some do it.

BEFORE YOU REPLY:
    I have the meters, Xtreme Xtractor, badass dehus, certifications, experience, blah, blah blah etc., etc.., but feel free to talk to me like I'm a Rookie if you need to, as long as some part of your reply addresses the question.
    Thanks.
  2. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    Well shoot, you take the fun out of it.

It depends...
    Bruce Humphrey, hogjowl and Stevie Bs like this.
  3. Stevie Bs
    Stevie Bs

Too funny. You know how it goes...
    Lee Stockwell likes this.
  4. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    Always a tradeoff. Usually goes if: over particle board, blandex, or swelling plywood. Cheaper way to remove a lot of moisture and get better drying of baseboards and more.
    Matt Wood likes this.
  5. Stevie Bs
    Stevie Bs

Thanks Lee. Good answer.
  6. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Rico Suave

Name:
    Mr Misunderstood
    No "We always" from our crews. Every situation is different and should be elvaluated as such.

Pad replacement is expensive so we save what we can, when it makes the most sense. Those with pet pad and non-permeable vapor barriers we have to pull.

In the last few years we are pulling more of it as the pet pad becomes more prevalent.

Just off the cuff I'd say we save more than half.
    Stevie Bs likes this.
  7. The Great Oz
    The Great Oz

Name:
    bryan
    Shortest answer:
    When it comes down to what is better for the structure and enables the fastest drying at the lowest cost, pad removal is it.

Longer short answer (removing politics and admitting to being just an interested observer):
    Top-down drying was sold as a money-saving way to dry carpet, as the insurance company didn't have to pay for new pad and re-installation of the carpet. The end cost actually grew though, as contractors took advantage of generous IICRC rules that let them stack as many pieces of drying equipment in a room as would fit, charging the insurance company for all of those rentals. Insurers weren't happy.

The IICRC rules were tightened (they still allow a ridiculous amount of equipment in a room) and insurance adjusters are more educated about drying equipment levels and for what duration they'll pay, so you might have to answer questions about your choice of drying methodology no matter how you do it.
    Stevie Bs and Desk Jockey like this.
  8. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Rico Suave

Name:
    Mr Misunderstood
    Personally I'd like to see sq/ft pricing. That would allow us to use how ever much equipment we deem necessary to rapidly dry the home or business.
    Stevie Bs likes this.
  9. CJ-FL
    CJ-FL

Name:
    CK-FL
    We carry medium size water claws on each truck. If it’s Cat.1 and under 75-100 sq. ft. We’ll offer to extract and leave the padding. If it’s larger than that the pad needs to go (it’s going to be cheaper than paying me to extract with a claw all day). Obviously, if Cat. 2 or 3, it goes regardless of extent.
    Matt Wood and Stevie Bs like this.
  10. Bob Pruitt
    Bob Pruitt

Name:
    Robert Pruitt
    If it's still a cat 1 by the time I get there I would rather dry pad, carpet in place. Longer than 72 hours then it becomes a cat 2. But what do I know.
    Matt Wood and Stevie Bs like this.
  11. Stevie Bs
    Stevie Bs

Good stuff. Thanks guys, I needed to hear some logical reasons for pulling the pad, and you all provided them. Good points, Bryan.
    Matt Wood likes this.
  12. Matt Wood
    Matt Wood

Name:
    matt wood
    I was thinking the same thing on discovering what kind of subfloor you're working with and how long it's been soaked to help determine whether or not to remove pad