Tech

Name
Bruce
Ron I wish I could help you here, but I don't have a tech. I can tell you I would not put up with it at all. This is our business we are talking about and to just let some punk mess around with it like he has better things to do would not work for me.

Rex Tyus

My tech is my 19 year old son so I just threaten to beat his ass and turn his phone off. Sorry, not much help for you though.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Just fired mine for stealin an Ipod, Techs suck...unless you know how to manage :shock:

Rex Tyus

You have to set parameters. Decide what is OK and what is not. If it is not tell them calmly and quietly and not in front of a customer or another employee. Most people want to do right they just need to know what right is. If they don't want to do right then find someone that does. Train and develop.

I am a single truck operator with only my son and best friend working for me. But in another life I was a very skilled and respected manager. :D

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Contact your nearby reserve units...

Great workers,great people...

contact any 1st Sgt...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ron Lippold said:
How much crap do you put up with being late text messaging and being lazy.

give me some Ideas

How late?
a couple/few minutes once in awhile?
no biggie if he's a good worker.

20-30+ minutes AND lazy....I'd be looking to replace him

when you find a good man, PAY them a LIVABLE wage or give them a cut of the action.
if not, it'll be a revolving door of one looser after another

..L.T.A.

breathe72

Larry hit it squarely, I'd say. I'm only a couple of years old as an owner/operator, but have been the 'boss' in many settings prior to this.

Text messaging drove me crazy, they'd do it most while driving MY vehicles! Laziness and tardiness too

Personally, for my business, I realized it was ultimately my fault for expecting someone to be WHO THEY WERE NOT.

You may be expecting too much from someone who just isnt hard-wired to be who you need them to be.

You can teach them how to mix chemical, push the wand, and fill out the invoice, but one thing we cannot teach is character. (In my opinion)

My favorite line when it comes to help: 'Expectations are nothing more than pre-meditated resentments'...

The other thing Larry said that rang very true, maybe try & find a good man, a good family man, maybe one who's already employed, & see if you can win him over to your company; cut him in on the action. Thats what I did recently and though my payroll cost went up, so did my SALES and peace of mind.

Make your tech leave his cell phone at the shop. Or in his car. Or if he likes his phone that much, and you're the one driving, pay him windshield time while he calls daycares, churches, banquet halls, etc, asking if they are currently taking estimates for carpet cleaning.

Anyone who's ever been frustrated with the help they hire, click and read the link below.

http://www.birdsnest.com/garcia.htm

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Ron Lippold said:
How much crap do you put up with being late text messaging and being lazy.
give me some Ideas

Ron, You are asking the wrong questions
You should have an employee handbook that clearly defines your policy on employee issues such as this. Right now you should be in a position of asking the employee questions as to why he/ she is unable follow the expectation of employment as defined in the employee handbook with a verbal and written notice. i guess the real answer is how much do you want to put up with ?

This is from our employee hand book

ATTENDANCE & TARDINESS
Coming to work late is an insult to your colleagues, clients and your professionalism. Since we are a team, we depend heavily on each other, which make tardiness an intolerable condition. Your dependability is an important matter in your performance rating. Further, part of our marketing campaign highlights the fact that we run on time - tardiness will not be tolerated.

Verbal and written warnings will be given in all cases of tardiness and will be noted in your personal records. An accumulation of un-excused absences or tardiness 4 times or more a month will result in an immediate termination.

TELEPHONES, PAGERS, TEXT MESSAGING :
• Please refrain from having your spouse, friends, or family call during the day unless it is an emergency.
• Turn off personal cell phones while at work
• If some one needs to get a hold of you they can call the office number
• Personal use of company cell phones is forbidden.
• Personal calls are not allowed while you are in a client’s home or business.
• Personal cellular phones /pagers are to be left at home or inside the vehicle while working.
• Personal calls should be made during lunch and break periods.

Name
Ron lippold
Thanks to all that responded much good advice

Randy I have no hand book yet but that is what I have told him he is not disrespecting me he is disrespecting the client and that is not tolerable.

It looks like I will be Going Rampage style minus the post vac

Scott

The beauty of having a handbook (and systems) in place is YOU don't discipline your employees - the system does.

Scott

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I am a known hard ass about work. If someone has their hands in their pockets I ask "Hey what are you looking for?" If they are standing around not being productive I say "Are you on the clock, because if you are I think I am getting screwed". Direct communication is a good thing. A good employee handbook and measurable defined goals are very important. All that being said I am a lucky devil because I have the greatest folks in the world working for me. One guy gets here 45 minutes before he clocks in just to make sure he is ready when it is GO time. I just love it. If you got a guy who is late call his house 1 minute after he is tardy and ask whoever answers the phone "Hey is Bob coming to work today?" If it happens a second time leave without him and say "Hey if you can't get here on time then you can take a day off". Hire slow and fire fast. One bad apple spoils the bunch. Expect the best and you will get it.
Al
PS You also have to pay for and respect it when you get it.

Techs

I used to work at a distributor and many cleaner's have problems getting good techs and keeping them!
You get what you pay for....if you want to get a tech that is going to be on time, be professional and do a good job then do not expect to get this for 8 or 9 dollars an hour. Everyone wants an amazing tech but I have found that many people post ads that say they offer 8-12 per hour. I think you should offer your techs a competitive price with commission let them have some incentives to add on stuff to increase the bottom line.
Text messaging can get annoying but maybe tell your tech that he can only tech message in between jobs. Sometimes compromising with your employees is the best thing to do. NO ONE likes working for a TYRANT.
I guess the moral of the story is that if you want a responsible, reliable tech than your most likely not looking for a teenager. Be willing to pay a little more for a good technician and you will see that they pay for themselves.

Fred Homan

If subcontracting from someone what is a fair split? I have spoke with a couple of guys and 2 of them will payout 40% to me and another 25% to me.
Sounds like slave wages. They want an employee. No way would I do that!!! I would have to be starving. They set it up and want most of the profit. What do you think?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom