Tell the truth about your Truckmounts..

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
august july 2014 017.JPG
I would imagine the Pro 1200 is no different than the CDS. wouldn't you think? They're probably generally great. Unless you get that one ...

At this point the four direct drive machines available from Butler, Sapphire, Cleanco and Hydramaster would be equally fine for everyday hard use by O/Os or employees. In my area the only company that doesn't have a local distributor is Butler and with their 10 year warranty and the known reliability of direct drives that probably wouldn't be a problem, There's four or five places around me that would fix anything on a Butler in a day's time if I had a problem (if I owned one).
I took some pictures of a Cleanco being installed locally this summer at Nu-Tech in Berkley. Fine-assed machine I would buy without hesitation if I needed a new TM.
august july 2014 013.JPG
august july 2014 018.JPG
august july 2014 019.JPG

Attachments

• august july 2014 017.JPG
    august july 2014 017.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 392
Name
Danny Strickland
Worst- early 405 with the computer controled face POS
HydraMaster CDS, like MP said just quirky shit, worst problem was it got so hot under it that my extra fuel tank would spill out fuel on drive ways

Good- Doodaddys Predator APO machine, slung a few couplers but that machine would melt grout out of commercial tile if ya needed it to. Duane was also easy to work with.

Best- HydraMaster Hydra cat- never a down day due to mechanical issues. Sold it and it sold again and worked for over 8k hours. Cast iron Onan engine was a beast.

Kipp

Name
kip
With Coitus I ran Hydramaster CDS, a couple homemades and that Prochem Hydraulic, which was not ready for prime time to say the least.

The CDS were ok but had lots of stupid issues. Most were caused by rushed or underpaid installers.
--
The Butler I bought was the most polished and issue-less from the get go. Chevy van, not so much.- Sold

The Vortex was full of issues that took me 8 years or more to iron out. Lots of electrical, plenty of shitty welds.Weak ass UD - Still have, runs great,.

The Judson was a rattletrap with 1st off the line issues. Hated the Propane. -Sold

The Aerotech is the bomb. a few very minor loose items in the first months. Now rock solid. Isuzu rules. So far. -Still have

The shop where I get my supplies has taken a couple of the prochem hydraulics and modified them with 30hp motors...looks kinda weird but the ugly bastards actually ran good!

I've owned
  1. Bane clene system
  2. Prochem 100A
  3. Prochem Peak
  4. Prochem Bear
  5. Prochem Performer
  6. Prochem Performer 405
  7. Prochem Everest HP
  8. Hydramaster 470 MAXX
  9. Prochem 150A (modified with 20hp and 45 blower)
  10. White Magic Pro 1200 HV w/Vulcan
  11. White Magic Pro 1200 w/vulcan
  12. Hydramaster CDS 4.8 w/salsa
  13. Amtex Prowler
The worst? Bane Clene, bought it when I was a green pee and didn't know any better...owned it for about two weeks before I upgraded

The best? Tough call all the prochems where good units, my favorites though are the PTO's and the hydramaster CDS we have right now is probably my favorite. with the water tank under the reel mounted in the center of the van it really helps the van drive better than the White magics with the water over the rear wheel well. The hydramaster get hot quicker it seems to. Even the the Hydramaster has a 47 and the WM's had 56 blowers I can't really tell a whole lot of difference. I will tell you thought the WM I had with the HV option was awesome. 20" of lift was crazy...actually had to turn it down to 16-17 because it was to much most of the time.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
My first TM was a 1980 Big Red I bought in 96 with 4500hrs on it.
I put another 12000hrs on it till 08 when I replaced it with a CanAm. Its since been sold to a guy in Cali who runs a couple of them. He's probably got that old girl fixed up and running great. It was a love-hate relationship with that rig. I learned a lot about TM operation, ie air flow and heating systems. I modified that Big Red till the only thing left of her that was a Big Red was the engine. Changed the plumbing, the heating, the vacuum.

The CanAm was a great unit, ie propane engine and Little Giant 4HT boiler. If it weren't for govt bureaucracy I'd still be running it that way.
I put almost 2000hrs on this unit when my truck was written off and I had to reinstall....enter govt (We're here to help you!)

Modified the CanAm to gasoline and an exhaust HX from John's. I like the gasoline power better. Its only a 25hp engine, I run it at 3000rpm, and I get awesome suck from a 4.7blower.
This final version has only been running for 400hrs, working great with decent heat with high flow at 600psi.

Jimbo

02 Vortex Was the Best for cleaning ability...I just did not like driving the UD over a 9200' mountain pass every day...

Prochem 300 was the 1st in 1981...cleaned well...had heating gremlins that would shoot flames about 20' into the sky...but just 'now and then'...I learned to park it away from buildings while cleaning!

Hydro Monster Bobcat 290...cleaned well...scads of heat...teeny vacuum blower...

Organic Compounds FOX machine...4.5 blower...#4 Little Giant heat...Nissan engine...It was a running Jesse! The Little Giant replaced the heat exchangers that I kinda blew up.....

Prochem 800A Got it up to 8500 hours before selling it to someone in the middle of the country...Nice machine that made me 'truckloads' of $!!

Prochem 65 HE... Heat exchange unit...used by a lot of Sears franchises...got it running good...and sold it! (I wanted to say 'offed it'...but that would not sound right!)

95 Butler...Thought I wanted to have a couple of employees...so Butler was the logical choice...After coming to my senses...I sold it to a local guy...

Prochem Apex...with the Kubota engine...Very Nice unit...did a few repairs on it and sold it in Nebraska...

Charlie Browns 2002 Vortex knock-off...PTO in a GMC/Isuzu Van...6008 Blower...huge stainless tanks...nice truck...poor heat...same issue driving over mountain pass...sold it to the Southland in California...

Prochem Everest HP...the one with the 4008 Blower...another going Jesse! Maybe 5k hours...runs well...pimped a bit...

This is my next TM...... still building it...

DSCN0666.jpg

I have not owned every brand...but I am sure there are many good brands that can help us make some serious money over the long run...

I am convinced that regular service of whatever machine you are using is vital...

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Best and longest for me? 2003 Ford powered Genesis 59HP. Still running great but out of service, replaced with a 2010 Blueline Thermalwave Vortec. Also owned a 1992 Powermatic, still running, 2300 hours, not in service. Also a 80's era Mastermatic, my first TM. It's gone. After the PM, a 1995 405 PC Performer Cat. Ran well until 2003, the frame rusted and I couldn't keep the blower adjusted. That's when I picked up the Genny. Still have the 405, would be a great parts machine. It has all the HX parts, heli-coil, Cat SS coil, blower, Nissan engine.
gen1.jpg
4.jpg
pc10.jpg

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Best old school was the Hydramaster Hydracat. Worst issue was having to clean the carbon from the heads in the Onans a time or two.

Worst old school was the Aquacat. Heat exchangers weren't up to the task.

Best new school is the biggest CDS with the biggest HX tied to the biggest engine. No reason to try anything else.

HydraMaster CDS, like MP said just quirky shit, worst problem was it got so hot under it that my extra fuel tank would spill out fuel on drive ways
Fords with two tanks had faulty return line switches, so they'd sometimes use fuel from one tank and return it to the other, eventually overflowing that tank. We learned to drive to the first job on one tank, then switch to do the job, switch again to do the next job... Lots of Ford ambulances and UPS trucks burned up while idling, and instead of going to a bigger tank like Dodge and GM, Ford just voided the warranty of any non-diesel truck that idled in place.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Performer 405 - excellent unit. Honestly if this unit didn't dump water to waste tank, its still one of the best units around. Could use a little more "suck" for todays machines. -backup machine and overflow

Spitfire 4.0 - Worse machine I have owned. It still did what we needed. Put 8000 hours on it. Two Motors - SOLD IT

HM Maxx470 - A complete work horse. We did burn up a belt at 1900 hours or so, and it caused it to overheat and the head gasket went out. Other than that, its been a heck of a machine- bought this the year the titan came out, still a daily runner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
Chem Tex Panther 25. - 4 years - Worst that i have owned not worst that I have used. Stupid placement of the pump makes changing the pump or belts a 3 hour project with bleeding knuckles. Had good suck would build crazy heat. But would also blow pressure lines at the truckmount as heat built up if not working.
Hydramaster 421 - I bought it flogged for a stupid low price and ran the piss out of it for 2 years died a horrible death (actually wasnt to horrible just blew headgaskets) and still sold it for what I bought it for. also 2nd least favorite. The
Saphire 370SS. - The least problems I have had with a truckmount. Have had 3 little problems that all were fixed in less then an hour. Great suck my wanding style doesnt lead to very good heat. Dont do alot of work that needs heat so not a big deal.

Reactions: Art Kelley

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
02 Vortex Was the Best for cleaning ability...I just did not like driving the UD over a 9200' mountain pass every day...

Prochem 300 was the 1st in 1981...cleaned well...had heating gremlins that would shoot flames about 20' into the sky...but just 'now and then'...I learned to park it away from buildings while cleaning!

Hydro Monster Bobcat 290...cleaned well...scads of heat...teeny vacuum blower...

Organic Compounds FOX machine...4.5 blower...#4 Little Giant heat...Nissan engine...It was a running Jesse! The Little Giant replaced the heat exchangers that I kinda blew up.....

Prochem 800A Got it up to 8500 hours before selling it to someone in the middle of the country...Nice machine that made me 'truckloads' of $!!

Prochem 65 HE... Heat exchange unit...used by a lot of Sears franchises...got it running good...and sold it! (I wanted to say 'offed it'...but that would not sound right!)

95 Butler...Thought I wanted to have a couple of employees...so Butler was the logical choice...After coming to my senses...I sold it to a local guy...

Prochem Apex...with the Kubota engine...Very Nice unit...did a few repairs on it and sold it in Nebraska...

Charlie Browns 2002 Vortex knock-off...PTO in a GMC/Isuzu Van...6008 Blower...huge stainless tanks...nice truck...poor heat...same issue driving over mountain pass...sold it to the Southland in California...

Prochem Everest HP...the one with the 4008 Blower...another going Jesse! Maybe 5k hours...runs well...pimped a bit...

This is my next TM...... still building it...

DSCN0666.jpg

I have not owned every brand...but I am sure there are many good brands that can help us make some serious money over the long run...

I am convinced that regular service of whatever machine you are using is vital...

looks great Jimbo..but you need belt tensioners on it

blowernewroots.jpg

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
1st of all, Merry Christmas

Since we have built hundreds of machines , I'd have to rate them in classes . . .

Worst TM's we built were early models with ONAN engines and kerosene heaters . . .

The Onan's were not reliable, and the kerosene heater stunk and was constantly requiring maintenance . . .

I think some of the best machines were the diesel pickups with a transfer-case PTO during the first gas crunch . . .

We demoed them a lot, but didn't sell but a handful because the total price was considered too high . . .

For currently produced machines , I favor the 32.5 HP Kohler DC534 with General Teflon pump, combined recovery and fresh water tank and all-stainless HX . . . More reliable than any heater system with plenty of heat . . .

Larry

Last edited:

Glynn

Prochem Bruin 2 - sort of OK but poor heat and so so power.
Maxx470D perfect machine, used it for 2600 hrs then sold it and got another new
2nd Maxx470D, this one running on LPG kept it for nearly 2800 hrs, again hardly any trouble from it
Boxxer 427 - performed well but temperamental, sold it
Titan 575 - this has been the best machine we have ever had, now done 3500 hrs and never had a single part fail. Also NEVER even needed any belts so much as adjusting !, runs off LPG. Awesome heat and suck. Still in daily use.
Pheonix 570i - Good machine, good heat & suck, only has 700 hrs on it as yet, but unrefined compared to the 575.

steve_64

ive only had my bane in 9 years of business. ive been happy with it but, ready for a "real" truckmount finally. well, almost ready.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

steve_64

i will probably keep the bane in service for my rentals and apartments. i clean some nasty carpet pretty regularly. maybe get a full timer and train them on that first.
ive had customers ask me if i clean dirty carpets and make comments about cross contamination. i may have not got repeat work due to that even though ive assured them i keep things clean.

id like something nicer for my higher end customers that ive been attracting more lately. better dry times and things like that too.

this board has been a big influence on me. im just hard headed but its been sinking in slowly over the years lol.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It does to me. I don't want to piss Larry off by bidding more if the motor is worn out.

HOWEVER if she has low hours Larry will eventually forgive me. :biggrin:

steve_64

i get great heat as long as i leave it plugged in all night. all my helpers complain about how hot the hose is and genny wears gloves.

as long as i go slow i get good lock down and leave the carpet barely damp. i just cant do long strokes that way. id love to show everyone how well i can actually do with my bane.

my biggest problem is when i run out of water and have to refill with the water in my water heater at home. i do leave it turned up all the way though!:eekk:
that and i need a good outlet which can be real hard to find around here sometimes. many homes with just two prongs and only 50 amps for the whole house.
it would be nice not to have to worry about electricity.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've seen the Bane clean many times and for as little power as it has I'm amazed at the results. They have good chem's.

I had to quit going to Bane's cross country shows because every time I'd I almost bought into the system. :redface:

F

FB7777

I know exactly where you are at Steve...I was convinced I would get a Butler and keep my other Bane unit for the lighter stuff

Once we saw how much better the butler cleaned versus the Bane , I replaced the Bane with a second Butler the following year

When it comes to pressure and suction, I don't there is,a weaker system out there than BC

You will be blown away with how much easier , dryer and cleaner your finished product is with a truckmount

I'm certain you are great cleaner, you have to be a superior technician to achieve good results with those up units

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Larry, I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing :smile:. As far as I can see from the picture things are just set inside the van getting ready for the install.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom