The art of the well tuned antennas and keeping an open mind

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
As an O/O that is very concerned about his business' reputation, I diligently practice the art of the "well tuned antennas". In other words: I always listen carefully to potential new clients, making sure not to ignore red flashing warning signs. In my experience if the client sound like he/she is going to be trouble, I'd rather not do the job. It just ain't worth it. Through the years I learned not to ignore my gut feelings.

About six months ago I dealt with a client that had some issues with previous cleaner (first red flag). We corresponded and nothing happened. A few weeks ago she contacted me again and we were trying to find the right time. I asked for her address (to schedule when I'm in the neighborhood) she provide her neighborhood but wouldn't give me her address. I asked for it a few times through emails and she ignored my requests. Freaked me out. Beside the self evident, (how am I going to show up at your place, mam? Should I have to use the services of Madam Zadora the psychic again? :winky:).

Been doing this for twenty seven years, never had a client refuse to give me their address. I guess there's a first for anything. I put her on my "to avoid" list.

A few weeks later she called again. I couldn't do it immediately and really tried to refer her to someone else. She asked me directly: "Are you trying to avoid working for me?"
Since she was that direct I said: "Well......actually, yes." and explained why. She apologized and I had to decide on the fly (while driving) if I am to violate my red flag policy or not. Decided to keep an open mind and did schedule it. Not without real concern. Freak me out once, shame on you, freak me out twice shame on me kind of logic.

Got a Yelp review today:
  • 11/19/2016

It took Ofer and I a while to get a mutually convenient date for an appointment but the wait was well worth it. I brought him in to do the nearly impossible: bring back to life our terribly stained TV room sofa. He more than exceeded my expectations and perhaps his own too. He is careful, thoughtful, and clearly dedicated to getting the best outcome from his efforts. I'd highly recommend using him for upholstery and rug cleaning services.

Thanks, Ofer!
I rarely ignore my gut feelings. I guess every once in a long while, it's good to keep an open mind.
In case you were wondering, she did give me her address :winky:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I wonder If she is one of the nut cases we ended up firing last year.
she would give us a wrong address but meet us there and then take us a few blocks away to the real place we would be cleaning. she would also use 2 or 3 different names. I had the patience for her but my techs did not..

I also had my red flag warning from one lady that You- Ofer- had referred to us. Is was a portable job in the millennium building. She had shown me how the piping on a chair cushion wasn't perfectly straight during our initial inspection stage-- meaning before we even cleaned it. I informed her that perhaps we were not to good fit for each other and I left.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
You told me about the Millennium client you refused. Good for you. You got to be careful.
Didn't actually talk much with her before referring, as once they tell me they live in a high rise, I decline and refer to you.

Would you like me to have them pass the "crazy" test before referring?
And if yes, please specify what questions would you like me to ask? :winky:

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had a hotel call yesterday with 15 rooms and halls wet. Samir wanted us to come out but I paused him. I suggested an estimate.

Normally I would have just sent the crews but I had no comfort level. They cut the scope down, not wanting wet structural material addressed. It would have still been over 4k so we asked for 1/2 down. lol

We didn't get it, they used a competitor. I was sorry to lose it but even had we collected half...I would have still woried about collecting the other half. :shifty:

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Would you like me to have them pass the "crazy" test before referring?
And if yes, please specify what questions would you like me to ask? :winky:

As you know -- it's a gut feeling--complaining about a previous cleaning company is a red flag for us also. If a red flag warning goes off for you then it would for us as well.

Glad it worked out for you with the customer that prompted your post.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
With all the a/holes out there, it's not unusual to have someone complaining about their last carpet cleaner. Just make sure they're not talking about you.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You can't always prejudge your customers, no matter how long you have been in business. I had a lady call me up a few years ago and she was already grinding me on the phone. My spidey senses are telling me not to do it, she's a problem but I was slow anyway and I figured a little money was better than no money. I went and did 3 rooms in her house and realized as I was cleaning, that she had been badly burned by her last carpet cleaner. She had no idea of what a proper price was, what a good job was, because of her past experiences. She loved the work I did and gave me a $20 tip. Oh, yeah, she also owns 3 apartment buildings which she had me clean at my regular prices. She is still my customer today.

Reactions: Pioneer Floorcare

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I had some New Jersey guy want me to do a hallway and the elevator in his apartment building.
I asked if he'd gotten permission from the building owner or manager and was willing to accept responsibility for slips or falls.

He got ticky.

I thanked him for wasting my time and left in a good mood.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Reminds me of a client that would not provide the address. Wanted to have his driver meet me near an interstate interchange, put a black cloth bag over my head and take me to the job site without ever knowing where I was going. One of the more interesting jobs I ever did. I think it even inspired a country song.

I offer to let him put me in the trunk for an extra $50 but he said the bag on my head was sufficient.

True story.

Reactions: Mikey P and ruff

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I would not have ignored that red flag.

On a desperation scale of one to ten, at what level would you say you were taking that job, Scott?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom