The chronological history of fests

Bob Foster

I sure would to know where fests started and how they competed with each other and changed over the years. I imagine the east coast has a different story than west coast.

I bet a few of you have some good stories of what happened at a few of them and it would be nice to read about them.

Scott

The idea of a Fest started over on the Cleanfax board while it was in its infancy. Many of us had conversed online but few had met one another. A guy, who's name escapes me at the moment but used to own one of the first Powerclean units (I think he was from Oregon) spearheaded the idea. Jackson Lloyd, Ron Curtis, Lee Stockwell, Bob Savage, and a few others got the ball rolling.

I'd have to look up the dates, but the first Summerfest was held in October 1999 (I think) in Columbus, OH @ John Downey's home. Around 60 of us attended and set up a roundtable to discuss where and when future Summerfests would be held. We also voted that it would be called Summerfest, although for the first many it was held in the fall. As memory serves John Downey was adamant that Summerfest remain grassroots and relatively unorganized so an entity could not take over. I dissented, stating that I believed that's exactly the reason it needed to be organized. So far I have been wrong but I maintain to this day that if SF ever "takes off", some entity is going to attempt to hijack it.

It was voted that SF #2 be held in Atlanta in 2000. Bruce DeLoatch was the host. I had 2 fond memories at that SF: 1) meeting Marty 2) meeting Bruce's dad who is an accomplished musician and serenaded SF'ers during lunch.

SF #3 was held right after 9/11/01 in San Diego @ Greg Trigiero's shop. Many didn't make it as they were afraid to fly so soon after 9/11. This is the SF where Jeff Bishop did make a brief appearance, despite what some say.

SF4 was held in St. Louis, MO in Oct 02 and there was quite a controversy over one of the machines there. I don't know if Lee Stockwell wants to rehash the controversy but he and Ron Curtis still don't see eye-to-eye because of the machine tests @ that SF. freeflow also attended this SF.

The first "Winterfest" was held in January 2003 in Pensacola, FL. I believe this was Marty's 2nd industry event but I was not there to ask him.

SF5 was held in 2003 @ Baltimore, MD. I missed this one so don't know many of the details.

The 2nd Winterfest was held in Fresno in Jan 2004 @ Yaser's place. I understand some of his equipment grew legs there, walked away, and haven't been seen since.

SF6 was held in Sept 2004 in Knoxville, TN. David Gargan was the host. Fon Johnson's young son, Christian, tested dad's swimming skills by falling in the hotel swimming pool after dinner. Fon, donned in a nice shirt and tie, dress slacks and shoes, jumped in when his son fell in and rescued him in short order. Poor kid was terrified.

Mikey commandeered Winterfest away from his competition and founded the first Mikeysfest in Feb 2005

SF7 was held in Portland, Oregon in Sept 2005.

The 2nd Mikeysfest was held in Feb 2006

SF8 was held in Myrtle Beach in Sep 2006.

Mikeysfest III was held in Feb 2007

SF9 was held at Bolden's training facility just north of Indianapolis in August 2007. If you are into water restoration, or want to be, you owe it to yourself to get to Bolden's - or "WD Mecca" as I call it. This SF was memorable as a comedy of pranks unfolded between Lindquist and Al Sims.

Mikeysfest 4 will be held in Feb 2008

The last I heard, SF 10 will be held in Muskegon, MI I believe in August.

Whew, that was a chore trying to rack my brain. There have been a smattering of Minifests thrown in between "official" fests, including one I held in (I think) 2004.

Scott

harryhides

Name
Tony
Good job, Scott.

ps: Clearly meeting Marty was one of the highlights of your life and it appears you've been "touched" by the experience. :D

pps; Meeting Brevick in Knoxville was for me a similar experience. We did indeed remove all of the stains plus a few carpet fibers.
The spotting contest was fixed but we won the fashion contest.

husky.sized.jpg

ppps; Poor Bob is gonna spend several days going through the hundreds of pictures there.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I was on the road in other directions for the first 2 Summerfests. Sometime in 2001(from memory) there was a minifest in Atlanta at Duane Oxley's place. That was the first event I attended. Met Marty, Danny, Duane, Ron Myers and several dozen other folks.

Made many of the events after that time. Scott R's recollection of events matches up with mine on most points.

Scott Warrington

R

R W

I made it to St Louis SF....my first one. Then to Pensacola for WF, and yes, Mardy was there. Then off to Baltimore SF. I hit Yassers WF in Fresno, then to Mikeyfest the next year. I don't know if there was any difference in the cleaners from either coast, but the Westcoasters get to enjoy a little nicer weather in the Winter.

And of course, Pembertons WF for the last few years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom