The Concrete Polishing Thread

Concrete Guy

Name
Dennis Wilson
There is some interest in concrete polishing on another thread. So rather than hijack that thread I figured I would start a new one. I will explain the different types of polishing and the equipment involved in achieving that polish. Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Concrete Polishing is now considered an umbrella term for making a concrete floor shiny. There are different types of concrete polishing with different pros and cons and very different price points. I will try to explain the best I can.

Full Mechanical Polish
This is considered true concrete polishing. It is grinding the concrete with low grit metal bonded diamonds to expose aggregate refine the surface, then moving up in grits to remove the scratches left from the previous grit. A switch to resin bonded diamonds is made around the 100 grit step. Concrete is stronger below the surface, grinding to expose aggregate gets you to the stronger concrete and will provide a more durable floor with a long lasting polish The polish is taken as high as 3000 grit, but to save costs, some stop at 800 or 1500 depending on the customers needs/wants. there are usually 7 diamond steps. A densifier is applied during the polishing process to fill pores in the concrete, which makes the concrete more dense and more polishable. A guard may be applied on top of the final grit. Guards are only needed if you require stain protection. Different guards protect against different stains.
The equipment used for this type of job is purpose built concrete polishing machines. The size of the machine depends on the size of the job. Investments in equipment can range from $5,000 to do jobs under 2,000 square feet, to $80,000+ to do 20,000 foot jobs.
Pros - High reflectivity and clarity. Very durable floor that can last 25 years or more with low maintenance costs
Cons - Expensive to install compared to other options. $4-$6 per square foot depending on size and gloss level desired.

Cream Polish
A cream polish is polishing the top layer of the concrete and not exposing any aggregate. Metal bonded diamonds are not used for this. A 100 grit resin bonded or hybrid diamonds is usually the starting point. A densifier is still applied during the polishing process. Polishes can go up to 3000 grit as well. Since you aren't grinding down to the stronger concrete, this type of polish does not last long. 6 months to 5 years depending on traffic and maintenance. Guards can be used to increase reflectivity and durability, but require more maintenance due to the lower refinement of the surface.
The equipment used for this type of job ranges from standard 175 swing machines to full concrete polishing machines. Investments in equipment range from $3000 for a swing machine and diamonds to do small jobs and all the way up to $80,000+ which is overkill for this type of job, but leaves you the ability to do full mechanical polishes on large jobs.
Pros - Less expensive to install than full mechanical polishes $1.50-$3 per square foot. High reflectivity is achievable.
Cons - Not as durable as a full mechanical polish. Lower clarity. Higher maintenance cost.

Chemical Polish
Chemical polishes are achieved by honing the cream layer with 3-4 different grits of diamonds then applying a guard to achieve reflectivity. An example of this type of polish is the 3M Trizac system. Densifiers can still be used for this type of polish. It can also be achieved with any of the machines I have listed in the other systems.
Pros - Least expensive to install, less than $2 to install. Good reflectivity.
Cons - Least durable. Lowest clarity. Highest maintenance cost.

There are variations of these different types of polishes. They vary in the number of steps the contractor uses, and the number of steps affects the final outcome. The more refined the surface, the greater the clarity achieved. A tip for doing a full mechanical polish, the quality of your polish is determined by the first 2 cuts. The fist cut is the most important and should take about 70% of your time on the job.

Durability of guards. Most guards are "micro acrylic" meaning that they are very thin coatings of acrylic. The higher the level of refinement and the finer the grit, the longer the guard will last. An easy way to visualize this is think of a piece of paper on a rough surface, step on that paper and the rough surface destroys the paper. Not think of a paper on a smooth surface, step on that paper and it will be less damaged than the paper on the rough surface. This is why a full mechanical polish has less maintenance than any other type of polishing. The guard is replaced far less often.

The important thing is to make sure you supply your customer with a floor that fits their needs and budget. Do not oversell a chemical polish as a full mechanical polish. They are very different floors. Many people, myself included, believe that concrete polishing should only refer to a full mechanical polish; while the other types should be called "making a concrete floor shiny." But, that is not the way it is. Educating your customer is key to your survival as a concrete polisher and well as the survival of the concrete polishing industry. Many people can make a concrete floor shiny, but it takes a lot of practice, experience and education to do a full mechanical polish.

That being said there is room in the market for all types of concrete polishing and any good concrete polisher should be able to supply their customer with the floor that fits their needs and budget.

I also teach basic concrete polishing every month at Hard Rock Tool in Anaheim, CA. My next class is Friday, July 28th from 9am -2pm. It's free and lunch s provided.

I know it was a lengthy post but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
My church wants to polish a few rooms to start to see how it looks. I have a regular Cimex for carpet cleaning and a few 175s.

What do I need to get entry level for residential?

Concrete Guy

Name
Dennis Wilson
My church wants to polish a few rooms to start to see how it looks. I have a regular Cimex for carpet cleaning and a few 175s.

What do I need to get entry level for residential?

The Cimex machine can be turned into a great polishing machine for residential. The only problem is if you use it for carpet cleaning you will spend a lot of time cleaning the machine after a concrete job to be able to use it on carpet again.

The planetary machines are the best for polishing because they leave a better scratch pattern on the floor. The Cimex can be outfitted with metal bonded diamonds which will give you a much better polish in the end. The metal diamonds that are available for a 175 machine are not that great.

You can get the drive plates to run the metal bonded diamonds for the Cimex for less than $300. You should already have velcro drivers to run the resin bonded diamonds.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
densifiers can be applied without exposing aggrgrate,no?

terrazzo look in concrete not always a good look

we maintain a hi end dealership concrete, that was densified when new, that floor is extremley hard

Concrete Guy

Name
Dennis Wilson
Cool so what should I buy and where should I buy it?
What model number is your Cimex?

You can buy the parts to convert your Cimex and the diamonds from us at Hard Rock Tool. We ship everywhere. Give me a call if you want to discuss anything in more detai. lMy name is Dennis and my cell# is 714-926-7916.

densifiers can be applied without exposing aggrgrate,no?

terrazzo look in concrete not always a good look

we maintain a hi end dealership concrete, that was densified when new, that floor is extremley hard

Densifiers can be put down on a steel troweled floor. It might not do as much as it would of the concrete was opened up because the surface is tighter from being power troweled.

The cheapest way to make a concrete floor shiny is to chemical polish a troweled floor, no diamonds are used. Just clean the floor, densify it, and put a guard down and burnish the guard. You have polished nothing, just made the floor shiny. This type of shine will have no clarity and the shine won't last long because you haven't refined the surface at all.

What are you doing for maintenance at the dealership? Do you have any pictures of the floor?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
chemical polish well fail, a lot faster then the 2 mechanical types due to..................................................duh TOPICAL aspects of it...

i have done a handful of the cream ones, with a densifier, and they came out great...1 of the places was bugged because...wait for it...

they thought a 40+ yr floor, with 4 different pours over time, AND a black mastic for the VCT....should come out looking like new:hopeless::hopeless:

I thought the "brownish" of the floor mixed with the black shelves was AWESOME....and told them it looked like a stained floor, that would have cost them another $2 or so a foot...

hummmm i wonder if i can find pictures of my rigged cimex, with about 125 lbs of weight on it....

and if you are staining (i prefer a dye over an acid) remember that some of the aggregate wont hold the color....

Concrete Guy

Name
Dennis Wilson
chemical polish well fail, a lot faster then the 2 mechanical types due to..................................................duh TOPICAL aspects of it...

It is more that just the topical coating. The actual cream will wear away much faster than an exposed aggregate full mechanical polish if there is no coating. A cream polish with no guard (topical coating) will last 6 months in a high traffic environment, a full mechanical polish done properly and with no guard will last 10+ years in that same environment.

Concrete Guy

Name
Dennis Wilson
Here are a couple pictures of a small sample I did a while back to help a customer of ours working on a 7 eleven.

We started at 30 grit and polished to 200 grit and applied two different colors of acetone dye, then densified and polished up to 1500. After that we applied a guard, mostly for stain protection but the extra shine is nice.
ep2x.jpg

2rhx.jpg

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
that is why i like polished concrete.....

you mean 7/11 is paying for polishing??? wooooa

Concrete Guy

Name
Dennis Wilson
that is why i like polished concrete.....

you mean 7/11 is paying for polishing??? wooooa

Not yet. This was a sample to see if they would like it. They are also interested in polishable overlays. They decided on this one to go with tile like they always have because of a really bad moisture problem. I told them moisture is going to affect tile as well, but they feel like it's easier to deal with i the moisture barrier they put down fails.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom