The Dreaded C-Word Again

Discussion in 'the Bird Room' started by Hoody, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Hoody
    Hoody

Supportive Member

Name:
    Steven Hoodlebrink
    As many of you know, my stepmom was diagnosed with cancer last year after surgery, chemo, and a few post testing follow ups, she's still cancer free.

However, November is Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month and a few months ago we found out my grandmother(the one I lived with when I moved back) has pancreatic cancer. Unfortunately this time the outcome doesn't look good or hopeful. Her health isn't great and they don't want to do surgery because they don't believe she would make it. My grandma doesn't want to die on an operating table and rather enjoy what time she has left. Grandma gets what grandma wants as I'm her POA despite my mom and uncle not being happy with her decision.

My grandfather, her husband had cancer in '05. I took care of him taking him to appointments and chemo and later we did hospice at home and I took care of him until he passed in late '06. I took my stepmom to every chemo appointment and doctors appointment and I'll take care of my grandmother too.

Pancreatic cancer is usually only found when it has made it to the advance stages which makes it a difficult type of cancer to treat because it one of the more aggressive types. I urge you all to get checked and have yearly physicals to monitor sudden weight loss and other unusual health traits as they can be early signs that something is wrong.

Business wise everything is business as usual as I now have people in place but a lot of people like to talk with me directly. Email (steven at befoundusa dot com) or Facebook is likely better so we can schedule an appropriate amount of time to talk if a phone call is needed.

My absence from Mikeysboard has been a decision to use my time where it is needed but I've known many of you for over a decade now and like to keep in touch with what is going on. I'll check in from time to time but as mentioned Facebook or email is usually the best way to get in touch as I'm on the phone a lot throughout the day with scheduled conference call.

I appreciate all the love, prayers, good vibes, and well wishes you can send my family's way. My grandma is the one that holds my mom's side of the family together, and a life without her is going to suck. I'm going to make sure to take the time to ensure she gets to experience everything she wants to while she can.
    scottw and Mikey P like this.
  2. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Hondo

Name:
    I am MIGHTY!
    It seems it will one day get us all. :errf:

So sorry to hear about your grandmother Hoody.
  3. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    Hate to hear this Dink.
  4. bob vawter
    bob vawter

Name:
    bob vawter
    Sorry Dink...
  5. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    Hugs to the Dink.
  6. PrimaDonna
    PrimaDonna

Megatron

Name:
    MB
    Ugh. There really are no words or right things to say at a time like this.

Will pray for you and family. You’re doing the right thing by honoring her wishes despite your families resistance. She’s lucky to have you advocating for her. Stay strong.
  7. sOOper hero
    sOOper hero

Number 5

Name:
    Larry Capitoni
    damn

thoughts/prayers, Dink

..L.T.A.