The Elephant in the Room - How Many Lifer's / Second Generation Carpet People we have here?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Another couple of old portables and a heavy pile lifter in the background in the first picture.

1976 Dan cleaning with Excaliber at govenors.jpg

20170218_101737.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris A

Name
Chris
I Started around 10 working summers with my dad and our full time tech at the time. At 20 I ended up with the business after a long falling out between my dad and I. Now in year 10 as an owner, almost 20 as a tech.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I had to disassemble the Deep Steam portable and put in the back of my Chevelle station wagon. I believe the base alone was 75 or 80 lbs.

I think my Steam Way portable was around 170 pounds. Hard to remember exactly. It had the large dolly wheels. I used a ramp to get it in and out of my van. It was tricky going up and down icy steps in winter! I preferred one story homes. :)

J

JS41035

Second gen here.. Mom was pregnant when pops entered the biz..

Cleaned everyday since I was home schooled at 13yo.. Took 3years off when I needed a break from my pops..

I try to learn something new everyday.. MB helped me see a bigger picture and the technical advise is second to none..
I literally can just copy your post. Right down to bring home schooled .

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
I started cleaning carpets in 1991 at the age of 19. I was power washing trucks during the week and cleaning carpet on weekends. I would deliver flyers door to door or phone solicit to get my customers. My wife's grandma had a 175 I
would borrow and rented a machine from U-Haul to extract with. My go to chemical was Tide. lol After a few months of doing that, I went to work at Sears as a subcontractor making 24% of sales toting around a Ninja in a Toyota Corolla. (I was finally big time) In 1992, my first daughter was born, I needed to make some real money. Some of the guys I worked with at the franchise had electric TM's that they purchased from the franchise before the company only used subcontractors. I was able to get my hands on a lot of parts to build my first electric TM. I built my first electric TM in a Toyota in 1992. I can remember taking back bottles to get enough money for fuel. (Good times!) Later, I built two gas powered TM's before purchasing my first brand new machine in 1996. Also, I worked on TM's for other cleaners for extra cash. I ended up building a Butler in a Ford van using a Cleanco drive shaft and installing my SteamWay into a 1999 Chevy. When I was 29, I had three TM's (Butler, SteamWay, & Vortex) and decided to sell the old trusty "Butt-sniff". I've been running big trucks ever since and our large commercial jobs were growing. In 2007, I came up with a "bright idea" to make my job easier. I have been at a standstill in my carpet cleaning business ever since. I only made this tool to help me out. I was so amazed at what It did, I wanted to bring it to market and almost put myself in bankruptcy doing it. I still own my 2001 Vortex which has a lot of sentimental value. I sold my 2005 Vortex to buy a 2017 Aero Tech and absolutely love it. I probably started with less than most, but I never gave up and never will! When you grow up with nothing and you have nothing, you have nothing to lose...

1.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.jpg
6.jpg

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 13.png
    13.png
    416.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Erik that is some story!
Mine isn't nearly as cool. First regular job was 1969, cleaning my Dad's church. Had to get an exemption from the city due to child labor laws (I was 13).
I remember being able to buy a new 10-speed, big stuff. The job lasted into high school, where I worked greenhouses in Summer and for a janitorial franchise at night during the school year. It paid the bills, like car etc. and somewhere I have the congratulatory letter giving me a raise to $1.35/hour.
In late '74 I joined the Coast Guard, where among other a hundred things I led a detachment that investigated and mitigated hazchem and oil spills. It got me thinking. In '07 I was invited to go away and let the next two generations have their fun. I am pretty sure someone had just figured out who was drinking all the coffee. So after 33 years it was time.
I tried selling, I did construction and I installed satellite dishes. I'm good at all of those, but unsatisfied.
My aged, senile Mother in Law has lived with us for 15 years. One day, using a home steamer to freshen up her mattress, it occurred to me there might be a business in it.
My son and I formed an LLC, bought a good steamer and I began teaching myself how to use it.

Turns out that in Alabama if you say "Steam Cleaning" people think pressure washing or carpet cleaning. So I reluctantly bought a decent porty and offered that. One demand after the other now sees me doing stone refinishing, move in/move out cleanings, commercial and resi carpet and tile cleanings, vct, and every so often, a high temp deep cleaning wherein I use the vapor steam to hot mop and cook interior spaces. Yeah, pressure washing (although I don't like it as much as I used to) and upholstery. It is VERY satisfying.

Still a glorified janitor, just like I started, with fewer prospects LOL.

Last edited:

altonfl

Name
Tom Alton
Started my first carpet cleaning company in Honolulu in 1973 and since then have been in the business on and off until today. Now have a company in the Pensacola Florida area and still cleaning carpets and upholstery five days a week at age 68. Always learning.

Robseyes

Name
Bob
My dad started our business in 1972 just a couple years out of college at WSU. He had a couple of janitorial jobs and would clean the occasional home carpet with his "Genie" portable. He later started a business as a milkman for a local dairy and subcontracted for them. His milk truck was always breaking down! His customer service developed a reputation and he got more janitorial jobs and more residential carpet cleaning jobs. He bought his first truckmount in 1978...a Judge Sales Company "Hot CC". After that his business kicked into gear and he bought another Hot CC and hired an employee. We were raised cleaning several local bowling alleys .....some of the worst janitor work you can do. I helped him be a hoseboy until I could drive. He gave me my own accounts the minute I turned 16. By the time I turned 18, I had my own Hot CC (130 degree water and so so suction). Eventually, he bought a SteamWay Powermatic and the heat was a revelation (along with the fuel oil odor that made me sick). He later bought a pair of Prochem Performers ....a standard and a 405. He wanted me to learn carpet repair and re stretching......I didn't want to. Needless to say, I followed a local installer for one day and started doing it for Dad's biz. Dad eventually sold the biz to me in 2006. I've been going ever since. I've worked hard to emulate what dad taught me in dealing with people and it's really paid off. Currently running a SS 570 and raising my own family. I've been truly blessed. I'm always trying to learn.....to be the best I can be. I don't always post, but I learn......from all of you. Thank you very much!

Mikey P

Administrator
Started my first carpet cleaning company in Honolulu in 1973 and since then have been in the business on and off until today. Now have a company in the Pensacola Florida area and still cleaning carpets and upholstery five days a week at age 68. Always learning.
Please post more... you must have great stories..

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
Started 2001, done every job (around 10,000 individual jobs mostly residential) more on my own than with help of family or friends...It's challenging...Never a bounced check, typically all nice people...Done approx. 3 apartments over my career in tile and grout...Returned funds over 16 years less than 5 times...AT 52, I'm feeling it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom