The first week of 2017. Who's busy and who's slow? How and why on both?

Discussion in 'Lets talk Business!' started by Matt Wood, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Different tools for different jobs. When you buy a tool, you should know how you are going to make money from it. I use everything from low power portables to one that will suck your socks off. I use 175's with bonnets and pads, Brush Pro on some jobs. The truck mount is the ideal machine for doing residential work. With a truck mount, I can easily park in the driveway or close to the door, run 100 ft or hose on average and clean a 3 bedroom townhouse in 1 1/2 hours. If I had do the same job with a portable, I could do as good of a job but it is going to take a lot longer. Factor into, unloading the machine and accessories, either having to bring it up stairs or use extra hoses, plug in the machine, fill the machine, hook up the hoses and then reverse everything to pack up. Doing offices can be a pita with portable. Often you have only a 5 gallon hot water tank to provide hot water. With a truck mount, you just hook to a cold water supply and presto, you are cleaning with heat and power. Ever blow a breaker in a commercial building but the electrical panel in a locked electrical room. You have to clean a lot of carpets to pay for your truck mount but in the long run, it allows you the time to successfully clean all the carpet jobs you can sell. There are opportunities for portable only companies as well but you have to understand the limitations of your equipment. Although the carpet cleaning market may be saturated, it allows the premium cleaners to rise to the top, no matter what type of equipment they are using.
    SamIam and Chris Howell like this.
  2. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Hondo

Name:
    I am MIGHTY!
    You're thinking wrong. The more there are the more market there is for thoses services.

Why do you think there are so many Micky D's? They could just have one in each town and require the Happy Meal eaters to come from all parts of the city to one location.

TM'S are dirt cheap and require less maintenance than the vehices that haul them. Any complaining about the cost of a TM has taken the time to figure how much an hour that machine allow you to make you over its life time.

You want to save me some money figure out a way to save me labor. ; )

Wonder why in thoses same zip codes there are no or few color repair companies? Demand.
  3. GreenTechAgain
    GreenTechAgain

Name:
    Ross Martin
    Slow...but my local competitor (friend) is running 3 jobs today.
  4. Able 1
    Able 1

Name:
    Keith
    Pretty slow here also, I think I have around 10 jobs... Off today and Wednesday..

Great time for maintenance, right now I'm swapping truck mounts.. I have this one installed just needs some little things done yet. No excuse for breakdowns!!
    14833892768972055800933.jpg
  5. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Hondo

Name:
    I am MIGHTY!
    You know a home builder only needs a hammer nails and a saw. No saturation either, everyone needs a home. :winky:
    Todd Millar and Cleanworks like this.
  6. Chris Howell
    Chris Howell

Name:
    Chris Howell
    Here's my challenge to you. I've made this challenge to many others as well.

There's just as much color repair (dyeing) work out there as there is cleaning work. Anyone who doubts this. Is likely doing so because they don't advertise the services.

As I've said before, we are typically booked 3–4 months in advance at all timea. Those who have come visited us can attest to this. In all fairness we are only booked out two months right now.

The biggest difference is that color repair is a far more profitable than cleaning work because it's a specialized service that illuminates the need of having to replace carpet. It's not priced as a maintenance service light cleaning.

If cleaning carpets is your thing and you're happy with the profits from doing this, more power to ya. I just don't get why people would want to spend some much money on a machine that's so prone to problems and breakdowns and requires so much maintenance.

But again, if this is what you enjoy and you're earning a good living at it, I'm happy for you :)
    Desk Jockey likes this.
  7. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Hondo

Name:
    I am MIGHTY!
    Hey nothing wrong with selling dreams, everyone loves to dream.

Soooo speaking of "reality" what percentage of cost of sale should one expect to spend on marketing to aquire the 3 month backlog in the color repair service business?

How many years will it take to build a business to that point?

Do you have anyone (other than yourself) that has reached that level of success in color repair?

Dreaming is fun but it doesn't pay the bills. :winky:
    GreenTechAgain and Matt Wood like this.
  8. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    There's only one Chris Howell, yet hes everywhere.
  9. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Hondo

Name:
    I am MIGHTY!
    Shhhhh Chris is busy cipher'n. :winky:
    Cleanworks likes this.
  10. Chris Howell
    Chris Howell

Name:
    Chris Howell
    It would be far better for you to speak with people that I've trained rather than asking me for my feedback.

Steve Sparling earned over half $1 million in his first year of doing color repair after taking my training. I will include a photo of his FB profile if you'd like to contact him.

David Mavilio and his brother Peter in Boston earned the entire cost of their training back with their very first job. Their first job was a $10,000 + job at a hotel to repair bleach spots straight out of the training.

Meg & John Burdick (Primadonna) landed a job to repair color loss on a high-end wool carpet for one of their customers straight out of the training. It was their first color repair job. Paid for their training in full.

But it really doesn't matter how many examples I provide here. People will always be skeptical. This is because they are unfamiliar with carpet and rug dyeing. I get that. :)

IMG_7477.PNG
  11. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    If you define saturation as an excess of providers relative to the number of clients willing to support them, I think you are more so than I am.
  12. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Steve burned over half a million dollars? Not a great recommendation.
  13. Chris Howell
    Chris Howell

Name:
    Chris Howell
    The real question is… Are you competing for business? If not, you're ahead of the game. Kudos to you! :)
  14. Chris Howell
    Chris Howell

Name:
    Chris Howell
    Huh?? Just say no to crack.

IMG_7478.JPG
    Desk Jockey likes this.
  15. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Hondo

Name:
    I am MIGHTY!
    So if I take your KC class (and cancel the protest I had planned outside :winky:) what kind of marketing budget am I going to need to put in my business plan?

How long can I expect before I can color repair full time and sell off all them damn TM'S requiring maintenance. :biggrin:

What is it going to take to make myself known as the color repair professional in my zip codes?

A brown guy in color repair, I'm not so sure if this is the year to start. ?? :shifty:
  16. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    Visions of Gary Berg are dancing in my head.
    Lee Stockwell and Desk Jockey like this.
  17. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Hondo

Name:
    I am MIGHTY!
    You're lucky. I keeping seeing the boobs on that t-shirt. :winky:
  18. Chris Howell
    Chris Howell

Name:
    Chris Howell
    Are you expecting that someone else is going to do (and pay) all of your marketing for you??

You'll get out of it what you put into it.

Having said that....we provide marketing advice and support as well as marketing materials for all of our trainees in The Dye Lot.

How quickly you become known as "the expert" in your zip code is up to you. But you will have the BEST support in the industry. :)
  19. steve_64
    steve_64

What's the real cost of your class? Hotel rental vehicle a week off work.. The cost of products to get started.

I see some color damage but most of its apartments. Some residential

I see this as an addition to cleaning but I'm sure someone could make a living doing this. As I've said before I'm interested but you seem to be ignoring me.
  20. Chris Howell
    Chris Howell

Name:
    Chris Howell
    Sorry, Steve. I've actually made several attempts to get to my computer to respond to you. I know that you are waiting to find out if I received your email. I'm sure I have. I will respond to you tonight. I promise.

Regarding your statement… Color repair is the only service that we offer. We are not a carpet cleaning company and we stay busy full-time. How much work you have is fully dependent on how effective your marketing efforts are.