The first week of 2017. Who's busy and who's slow? How and why on both?

Discussion in 'Lets talk Business!' started by Matt Wood, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Chris Howell
    Chris Howell

Name:
    Chris Howell
    Your hotel costs are obviously not covered in the class. Nor is your time off from work.

Am I missing something here??
  2. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Yo I AM MIGHT!

Name:
    Jason
    No what I am asking is what can the average investor in your system expect in time and money to get it to where you are. Recovering training and equipment costs are great but not my goal.

If I were to invest, my goal would be build a company just like yours. So how much can we expect to spend on marketing to get to where you are now?
    Russ T. likes this.
  3. steve_64
    steve_64

I was giving you a hard time about start up cost compared to buying a TM.
  4. Chris Howell
    Chris Howell

Name:
    Chris Howell
    It's all good, bro. Just trying to keep up with everything.

Again, sorry for the delay in responding to you. I'll do my best to get back to you tonight :)
  5. steve_64
    steve_64

No problem. I'm not in a hurry. Heading out to work in a bit anyway.

The pic came blacked out not sure why. Must be a filter in the email or printer but I am a veteran.
    Chris Howell likes this.
  6. Chris Howell
    Chris Howell

Name:
    Chris Howell
    We are happy to provide our training to veterans completely free of charge. Our way of saying thank you for your service to our country. :)
  7. Beeks
    Beeks

Name:
    J.R.
    Normal week for us, last I heard it was 6 booked jobs for the day, pretty much our average. Its 80 degrees out so winters don't really have an effect on us down here. Nov and Dec are our busiest months.

I think we stay relatively busy because people are cleaning up after all the holiday and heavy foot traffic they had over the past few months. We will slow down a little towards middle/end of month, but pick right back up in Feb until late march for spring break weeks.
    Matt Wood likes this.
  8. PrimaDonna
    PrimaDonna

Megatron

Name:
    MB
    Richard...what kind of budget would you plan for a start up business in your area? Can you market to your existing customer base (is there a need there and you can tap in to existing customers)?

Will you have a dedicated sales and marketing person to get the word out about the service? Do you have many commercial buildings with carpets that can be dyed in your area? The real money will be in the the commercial accounts. Long halls of carpet that they don't want to pay to replace or have the disruption. Costs way more to replace so you can charge more.

You're not going to be booked out 2-3 months with residential jobs. @Chris Howell what is a typical day like for your team? When you say booked out 2-3 months is that 5 days a week, working 8-5? Or do you only book a few jobs a week in the evenings? It's one thing to be booked out 2-3 months running 8-5 everyday or booked 2-3 months but you only work 2-3 days a week for a few hours because that is the schedule you've set for yourself or your team.

Chris has been at this for 20 years. Just because you take the class doesn't mean the work will suddenly appear. YOU have to build the business. I can tell you that Chris often offers work up on the Dye Lot facebook page. He's personally reached out to us to pass on leads in our area or has posted on the page asking for someone who may be in the area or want a job.
    Desk Jockey and Matt Wood like this.
  9. Chris Howell
    Chris Howell

Name:
    Chris Howell
    GREAT question, Meg. I haven't defined what a typical day is like in our company. Yes, we are booked out months in advance at all times, but in all fairness, those are rarely 8 hour days. I expect that each van that we have out is going to earn a minimum of $1,000.00 per day. Whether that's doing a full room dye, dyeing long hallways, or fixing bleach spots. Each van is averaging$1,000.00 per day. That number is often much higher than that, but rarely lower.

But because of our hourly rate ($375.00 per hour for residential and $900.00 per hour for commercial) we don't have to put in an 8 hour day to reach our goal (minimum) of $1,000.00 for the day. And I certainly don't cap it at $1,000. If my techs knock out a commercial job in a couple of hours and have brought in $2,000.00 then we will certainly give them an additional job(s) to be completed that day. But because we are about 75% commercial it can be challenging to get them in to do multiple commercial jobs in a single day as much of the work has to be done during the evening hours so as to not disrupt their working environment. We also do a lot with the public schools in Maryland, so that has to be done on weekends and during holiday breaks.

So to answer your question, we usually work about 3 - 4 hours per day this time of year. But that's all that we need to do because we are reaching our sales goals. During the warmer months our technicians are pretty much always putting in 8 - 10 hour days.

This time of year we also stay extremely busy with our color restoration projects on Persian Rugs. Jeff and I were out in the shop last night dyeing the round felt rug that I shared in The Dye Lot the other day. I'm actually trying to get out of the rug work by referring more and more of our customers to other people I've trained who have the airbrush. I've also been having Sturdy come down and do rugs for me as I really don't have the time to do them right now.
  10. PrimaDonna
    PrimaDonna

Megatron

Name:
    MB
    @Chris Howell ....You know I knew all that...but I thought everyone else should know what your schedule is like and why it's 2-3 months out.

Are your guys working 3-4 hours 7 days a week, 5 days a week, less days per week?

You expect that 'each van' you have out will earn $1k per day. How many vans are you running? How many days a week are they out?

Certainly the logistics of some of the buildings limit when you have access so to say you are booked out in Feb. for a school job when they are closed for Presidents Day makes sense. I also know that when you did the Peace center, it was over several nights because there was really only about a 3-4 hour window you could be in that building working. So it took several nights to complete. Also a reason you are booked out so far when you only have small windows in the government buildings to complete the work and it has to be spread out.

Thanks for the info, Chris.
  11. Chris Howell
    Chris Howell

Name:
    Chris Howell
    Meg, we are currently running 4 vehicles. They each run five days per week. Each vehicle/operator has a sales quota of $1,000 per day. The amount of time that they require to achieve their quota depends on the type of job they are doing. Most of our jobs are completed within 4 hours. We are very selective about which types of jobs we take on.

Are you and/or John planning to come join us on the big condominium job that we are doing next week?
  12. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Yo I AM MIGHT!

Name:
    Jason
    I will never understand why you wouldn't just add more crews and get a reasonable backlog of a week or two.
    Especially as you being a trainer, you don't even have the huge training costs involved. At 1k a day per crew I'd add technicians and vehicles and crush it. :winky:
  13. Chris Howell
    Chris Howell

Name:
    Chris Howell
    As I've said before, we used to be bigger. We used to have a lot more vans on the road. We are far more profitable now with fewer headaches. My guys have work every day. I'm just happy where we're at, Desk.
    Desk Jockey likes this.
  14. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Yo I AM MIGHT!

Name:
    Jason
    Just a difference in people I suppose.

I'm still trying to build a Hagopian or DA Burns dynasty. :winky:
    Lee Stockwell and Chris Howell like this.
  15. Chris Howell
    Chris Howell

Name:
    Chris Howell
    Hagopian has a GREAT operation! I did a training there this past September. I trained 3 of their lead techs as well as a tech from Robert Mann's facility in Denver and Dr. Khosrow Sobhe's son.
    Desk Jockey likes this.
  16. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Yo I AM MIGHT!

Name:
    Jason
    Yeah I think they use the Transit Connects for color repair. They still haven't sold off the TM's yet though. :winky:
    Todd Millar likes this.
  17. WillS
    WillS

Supportive Member

Name:
    Will
    One thing that does keep us busy during the first 2 weeks of January is vacation rental homes. We have been cleaning for a Vacation Rental company for about 4 years now. All of their homes check out first week and we get called. These houses are mostly area rugs and rooms with carpet. The rental company doesn't care the cost to clean, because they don't pay for it. It is submitted to insurance and off it goes. It is one of the BEST commercial customers we have. They found us from one of their housekeepers driving by our truck one day on the road and writing down our number. :clap:
    SamIam, Mark Saiger and Matt Wood like this.
  18. A.J.
    A.J.

Name:
    A.J. Hodges
    1 week and I've already made 3 times what I did all of last Jan and Feb lol.

Then again I was new and ranking last online last year.
  19. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    It's easy to triple your volume, if you start low enough.
  20. SamIam
    SamIam

Supportive Member

Name:
    sam miller
    I put out 400 cards to repeats last week. And spending $50 a week on Facebook.

Had a busy week.
    Matt Wood and Desk Jockey like this.