THE LISA HOTSEAT THREAD

Discussion in 'the Hot Seat Interviews' started by bob vawter, May 27, 2008.

1. bob vawter
    bob vawter

Name:
    bob vawter
    Hi Lisa, and welcome! Thank You for helping make history on the MikeyBoard Ribber Room HotSeat......

I'll start this out and then when ever you can... jus jump in and answer...this COULD stretch out over some time so don worry about keeping watch on the thread! Others can chime in....at any time!

To start this off...i'll ask how and when you first got into carpet cleaning...in other words...WHAT would make a perfectly sane person wanna do this....kinna work?
  2. truckmount girl
    truckmount girl

1800greenglides

Name:
    Lisa Smith
    June 1987. My second child was three months old. I got a lead on a property manager who needed housecleaners for VA repos. It included cleaning the whole house, in and out and the carpet and hard floors as well. I started out renting a commercial porty from my local jan/san store, then I bought a used porty from the rental fleet, then over the years I got better and more powerful units.

It was great, I could take my kids with me, schedule my own hours, work at my own pace.

By late 1997, the housing market in SoCal was booming and there were few repo's. I didn't worry much because my husband had a "real" job and I had weathered market fluctuations in the past. Then in January 1998 my husband died suddenly and I had to decide what I was going to do......so, I took the life insurance policy, bought a new Chevy van and a TM and started marketing carpet cleaning to the residential market.

Take care,
    Lisa
  3. bob vawter
    bob vawter

Name:
    bob vawter
    Wow...that HAD to be tough....it reminds me of the old saying that when the the going gets tough........
    Ok fast forward.....we all wanna know HOW you met Jeff errrrr....Greenie!
    DETAILS please.......and WHEN was the infamous pole involved......? Or was that jus glamour publicity....?
  4. truckmount girl
    truckmount girl

1800greenglides

Name:
    Lisa Smith
    Jeff and I "met" on the BB's.

He came out from HI for a visit and took me up to meet John G. (he was a padder then). We saw each other again at Winterfest (before it became Mikefest), and began to correspond and talk on the phone more, he came for an extended visit, then a month later he came to stay.

As for the pole dancing....I was a bikini dancer at the Pink Lady in the Palm Springs area for several months in 1991. I met my husband Greg there (#3, the one who died), he was the DJ. I did it for income supplementation when the repo market was slow. It was one of the most interesting jobs I've ever had. I learned more about the good and bad in people there than I did anywhere else.

Take care,
    Lisa
  5. bob vawter
    bob vawter

Name:
    bob vawter
    OK...i jus HAD to ask that one.....!

OK guys......now yor chance.......i'll catch up wit every one here tomorrow.....thanks Lisa...this is gonna be funer than a bag O cats!
  6. B&BGaryC
    B&BGaryC

Name:
    B&BGaryC
    I guess one thing I would want to know, is if you were ever afraid going out to clean carpets on your own with all those weirdos out there? How do you know you carpet cleaning customer doesn't have somebody in their basement already "Silence of the Lambs" Style? Did you carry pepper spray?

What got me thinking about this is the Mormon Missionary girls that have been going around my friends neighborhood. Walking through the slummy area all prettied up knocking on doors and asking to come in.... Looks to me like they are asking for trouble.
  7. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    Back a year, or may be two, when John's Custom Heat Exchangers first came out with the Big Daddy, there was a lot of buz on the unit, and Greenie was talking a bunch about it. Now that has all died down.

Do you two still think it is a good purchase?

If not, then what's wrong with it?

Is the new Magic Wand unit just a Big Daddy with a cat face on it?
  8. bob vawter
    bob vawter

Name:
    bob vawter
    Yes Gary....i run into that all the time.......
  9. Brian L
    Brian L

Name:
    Brian L
    Lisa, when you were on the truck.....what wand was your favorite and why?
  10. truckmount girl
    truckmount girl

1800greenglides

Name:
    Lisa Smith
    Undoubtedly it's the internet and bulletin boards. Nothing has done more to educate cleaners, suppliers and manufacturers alike in this industry. It has allowed the spread of knowledge, ideas, tips, tricks, camaraderie, instant product feedback, awareness, and given the individual cleaner a national, even global voice in our industry.

BUT if you don't count your computer as a tool, I'd say there are a few pivotal tools:

RX20 - and it's progeny, most designed by Cliff Monson I know it's not from the 2000's but it made a huge difference.
    Turbo Tile tool and it's evoloutions.
    Tess - and new drying technology
    Cimex and OP technology for commercial cleaning

Two of my personal favorites - the Hydroforce and CoolCuffs.

Take care,
    Lisa
  11. truckmount girl
    truckmount girl

1800greenglides

Name:
    Lisa Smith
    I have worked in some really nasty neighborhoods alone, especially when I did foreclosures. I've honestly never been afraid and never had a problem with anyone. In fact people were always kind and helpful. I never carried pepper spray or a weapon of any kind. I never even locked up the house or van/truck while working.

Take care,
    Lisa
  12. truckmount girl
    truckmount girl

1800greenglides

Name:
    Lisa Smith
    An 8 cylinder slide in TM has tons of cool points, a 350 is cheap and easy to work on and reliable, big blowers are the bomb.

But with gas as high as it is, and federal and state govt's cracking down harder and harder on emissions, it's probably not really practical in the real world for more than a very few people.....I'd still give my left arm to have one though...the gearhead in me will never die.

I'm not familiar with Taf's unit, so I couldn't comment on it.

Take care,
    Lisa
  13. truckmount girl
    truckmount girl

1800greenglides

Name:
    Lisa Smith
    Rotovac and glided Ti wand.

NOTHING cleans better than an original RV, nothing...it may be slow, it may leave the carpet soaked, it may have a lot of issues, but that son of a bitch can clean like nothing else.

I enjoyed the way the Ti wand handles, it was light and nimble and sucked like a $2 whore. It was very comfortable to me. I always preferred hole glides.

Take care,
    Lisa
  14. truckmount girl
    truckmount girl

1800greenglides

Name:
    Lisa Smith
    I'm goin' home now, but I'll ctch up in the morning. Good night all!

Take care,
    Lisa
  15. bob vawter
    bob vawter

Name:
    bob vawter
    " light and nimble and sucked like a $2 whore"

Damn girl...that almost made me fall outta my chair...this is too great!
  16. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    Please describe your dream date of twenty five years ago and also today?

Who, what, when, where and how?

I've turned off the PG17 filter for the next 24 hours.
  17. bob vawter
    bob vawter

Name:
    bob vawter
    Morning all.....

Yes Lisa...as much as Mikey may be interested in the prurient nature of yor youth....i will cut to the chafe here......

GOT ANY PICS?????

OH i'm jus kiddin'....kinna!

My first question of the day is:

That little blond girl that we see givin' the finger......

is that REALLY you? It COULD BE......!

and when did you FIRST discover that God is Imaginary....?
  18. truckmount girl
    truckmount girl

1800greenglides

Name:
    Lisa Smith
    25 years ago - Geez, A horseback riding camping adventure in the mountains would have been ideal. Someone who was intelligent, easy going, non-smoking, non-drinking, and a hellion in bed.........

Today - Same as 25 years ago, it would kill me, but I'd die happy.

Take care,
    Lisa
  19. bob vawter
    bob vawter

Name:
    bob vawter
    Ok..would ya settle for ONE outta FIVE?
  20. truckmount girl
    truckmount girl

1800greenglides

Name:
    Lisa Smith
    No, it's not me. Just a pic I found on the internet. I love her though. Actually, I was a pretty good kid and my parents would have killed me if I had ever made a gesture like that.

As for god: When I was 6 I received a children's bible for Xmas, I read it cover to cover in one day (I was a voracious reader as a child. I read the dictionary for fun, detested most children's literature, and read far above my grade level) I enjoyed the book.....as a work of fiction, but when my mother told me the stories were true, I told her there was no way. It was an entertaining set of stories, but it just never made any sense to me in a literal or even quasi-literal way. I didn't believe in santa claus either. I guess I was born a skeptic.

Take care,
    Lisa