the psychology of giving estimates..

Mikey P

Administrator
boy do I need to do some soul searching..

Fooking dead of winter and I expect to be busy..

Here in the high chaparral where nobody knows me (but other carpet cleaners) I have to do some major adjustments to my song and dance..

I am no longer a common house hold name, I don't stand out on Yelp or the local weekly rag , my yet to be wrapped van is incognito, for .55 a square foot you could buy a new house is the mind set here...

So do I quote half off my Santa Cruz rate to build up a client base and slowly raise prices or do I just wait for the loaded retired Californians to find me and drive Fred nuts by spending too much time here...lol

I gave a quote two days ago on a 1700sf home who I thought were going to use me no matter what. Strong referral from a realtor who saw my work elsewhere.. They took three days to call back to book and in that time my mind was all over the place...

Did I over do it by showing them all the faults in their tile and shower, did I get too technical describing all the urine damage, should I have caved when she asked for a locals discount instead of telling here it's all ready 30% less than what we charge "over the hill"..

I did call her back and offered to apply the Harvard Pet B Gone for free since Saiger gave it to me which took $170 off the bill.

and I embarrassingly called the realtor (whom I care more about impressing than landing this one time job) and cried my heart out...

I'm such a pussy.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Just had a similar situation. I estimated a big house yesterday and the lady called today wondering if I could do any better. I told her i dont normally discount my work but that I would giver her 10% off. Well that wasnt good enough for her. I am running a 20% off on facebook right now but thats only if you mention it and only until Christmas. She wants this done the week after Christmas. But I have what will probably be a long slow winter a head of me and dont have much work booked for that week yet so I caved and gave her the 20% she was asking for.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Chris A

Name
Chris
There is a certain swagger that develops in you when you know you're the top gun, I swear the less I seem to care about quotes the more I get. The first few years were tough bc I didn't have the confidence. Yer a carpet cleaning super gawd, don't forget that!

Mikey P

Administrator
I forgot to mention that she did call in and wants it done next week.

and now I have to give more off for calling pussing out with the realtor.

Oh well, I'm watching my landscapers bust ass in the freezing weather for $15 an hour right now.

I'll still make $100 per, and be inside.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I was just having a conversation of FB with one of industry guru's over this exact subject. I can't say who it was to protect his image.

I was telling him that I am going to have to change my way of doing business, or I fear a slow decline into bankruptcy coming. You see, my son is slowly eating away at my extablished business. My payroll costs have gone up by a third, but my revenue has remained the same. Our discussion centered around our mutual belief that I need to stop being Mr. Bigshot and lower myself to offering price point specials.

Mikey P

Administrator
but can we be wtw fags and do all the dance steps at a low cost rate??

If you run packages that let the customer dictate the final outcome, will she tell her friends and family that the reason the carpet looks like shit is because she chose the package that did not include pre vacuuming and rotary extraction/scrubbing?

Last edited:

hogjowl

Idiot™
Good question, but there's no way to make price point work if I continue to offer all the bells and whips. I'll need to offer them ways to reduce the price, like vacuuming and moving furniture.

hogjowl

Idiot™
and why aren't you doing more work with two vans on the road?

Isn't Jr creating his own cheerleaders yet?
I have noticed a slight uptick in conversation (on social media) over him, and there seems to be a great acceptance of him with my established base, but I've not noticed my increase in actual business. I am only up by 7% this year.
What he HAS done is give me a way to produce at a much better rate ... hourly speaking.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
but can we be wtw fags and do all the dance steps at a low cost rate??

If you run packages that let the customer dictate the final outcome, we she tell he friends and family that the reason the carpet looks like shit is because she chose the package that did not include pre vacuuming and rotary extraction/scrubbing?

Yes she will, so no, I will not.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Here in the high chaparral where nobody knows me (but other carpet cleaners) I have to do some major adjustments to my song and dance..
I am no longer a common house hold name, I don't stand out on Yelp or the local weekly rag , my yet to be wrapped van is incognito, for .55 a square foot you could buy a new house is the mind set here...

Mike,
I moved from AZ to Illinois with a wife, dog and a portable(uggggg!)...... Spent all our money buying a house and moving. That was(I believe) 8 years ago and we are still going strong. Internet and family and friends helped the most in the beginning.

You have a tm, new van, website and funds to make "things" happen, you are new. It's just going to take some time.
Hang in there(what else ya going to do?)...

I will tell you one thing about moving to a location that has seasons(winter/cold). You should be finding people with lots more carpet. I remember pooping my pants at how much carpet people have here(A big house would take 5 hours with that stupid porty.:hopeless:) when we moved back. The carpet keeps the feet warm when it's -5 out. 99% of homes here have all bedrooms, halls, basements and most stairs in carpet.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Man this is going to be fun to watch. Winter has a way of developing some character. I pretty much freak out EVERY Winter, like it's just not going to work! It drives Mel nuts. I start considering weird things, like selling and moving.

Just when I can't take it anymore the birds start chirping and Mrs. Piff can't get wait to have us in.

I bet it will take lowering your prices a bit until you make a name for yourself.

Mike Draper

Man this is going to be fun to watch. Winter has a way of developing some character. I pretty much freak out EVERY Winter, like it's just not going to work! It drives Mel nuts. I start considering weird things, like selling and moving.

Just when I can't take it anymore the birds start chirping and Mrs. Piff can't get wait to have us in.

I bet it will take lowering your prices a bit until you make a name for yourself.

Good grief, I do the same thing. I start dreaming of moving to Hawaii with Nate, smoking pot and working 10 hours a week like he does.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

Yea, you are stuck in it now, Russ. Your not going anywhere! Getting dark at 4:15 ain't no party either..... I imagine up there by Nanook of the north Saiger it's dark at noon!;)

Let's hope that's March not April! Or worse........ May.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Russ T. said: ↑
Good grief, I do the same thing. I start dreaming of moving to Hawaii with Nate, smoking pot and working 10 hours a week like he does.

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That's partially my dilemma, Mike.
Having an established business in San Francisco, yet living (now partially, hopefully soon full time) in the Sierra Foothills (paradise).
I did a quick survey of local charges. Depressing.
In 2-3 days in San Francisco, I can make more than a week's up there, if I was busy. And it was summer when I called around (usually I'm booked at least a week if not two in advance) and still they were all able to do it in a day or two.

I think I'll start playing the lottery. That's my current retirement plan.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So you want their money but you don't want to live with them. Tisk tisk, silly man you can't have both! ;)

The country calls, someone has to watch the grass grow. Money isn't everything. :winky:

Mikey P

Administrator
Good question, but there's no way to make price point work if I continue to offer all the bells and whips. I'll need to offer them ways to reduce the price, like vacuuming and moving furniture.

Vacuuming? no way.

You need to discount stuff that does not effect the outcome..

deduct protectants and sanitizers/deo or some other contrived up charge

CanadianRuss

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Teskey
boy do I need to do some soul searching..

So do I quote half off my Santa Cruz rate to build up a client base and slowly raise prices or do I just wait for the loaded retired Californians to find me and drive Fred nuts by spending too much time here...lol

I gave a quote two days ago on a 1700sf home who I thought were going to use me no matter what. Strong referral from a realtor who saw my work elsewhere.. They took three days to call back to book and in that time my mind was all over the place...

Did I over do it by showing them all the faults in their tile and shower, did I get too technical describing all the urine damage, should I have caved when she asked for a locals discount instead of telling here it's all ready 30% less than what we charge "over the hill"..

I did call her back and offered to apply the Harvard Pet B Gone for free since Saiger gave it to me which took $170 off the bill.

and I embarrassingly called the realtor (whom I care more about impressing than landing this one time job) and cried my heart out...

I'm such a pussy.
Hi Mike

You probably have covered this already given that your a LEGEND!! Given your new market. Have you tried posting your videos on Facebook, Twitter etc. Try friending realtors and property management. Try Facebook advertising works well for new clients. If you need some ads designed I could help you. I have a talented graphic designer on the payroll. Magnets for the side of your van for now. I bought mine for around $110.
How is your website? Holiday Offers seem to work well. Not the discount your services type. Some humour in your ads works great this time of year. With all the advertising that I do in my market, Facebook, newspaper, website, phonebooks, direct mail etc. There is still people that will say they haven't heard of us. Don't take it Personnal have some fun with it. You've got this.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
So you want their money but you don't want to live with them. Tisk tisk, silly man you can't have both! ;)

The country calls, someone has to watch the grass grow. Money isn't everything. :winky:
Tisk, tisk. I want your money too.
Is any forth coming?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom