The Smell WONT GO AWAY!

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
I brought a synthetic rug into our shop, had been pissed on a lot. First day we soaked it in our pit with water and vinegar. Let it sit for 2 days and then sucked all the water. I cleaned the rug and then allowed the pre spray to dwell for 20 minutes. It was Cobbs enzyme pre spray... Cleaned the rug... then dumped water all over it... put skunk out all over that areas that were bad and let that sit for 1 day... then repeated previous steps. Cleaned rug AGAIN with Judsons 02 mixed with QUAT and then let it dry. The rug STILL SMELLS LIKE PISS in a 1 SF area... Any ideas????!!!

Bob Foster

Yeah, sub the job to D.A. Burns for a 50% trade discount and collect the check. You can always find an excuse to go to Seattle anyway.

RIP IT

Name
Chris
dig a shallow pit
place rug in pit
cover in salt
set on fire
tell customer that the rug died on the operating table and to buy another one
send the animal responsible to 'the farm'

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Option 1) Use a bacteria / enzyme treatment and allow it some dwell time, maybe 24 hours. Try Bio-Modifier.

Option 2) If time is more of a factor, treat with an oxidizer for pet stains such as PetZONE with Hydrocide or OSR.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
bensurdi said:
I brought a synthetic rug into our shop, had been pissed on a lot. First day we soaked it in our pit with water and vinegar. Let it sit for 2 days and then sucked all the water. I cleaned the rug and then allowed the pre spray to dwell for 20 minutes. It was Cobbs enzyme pre spray... Cleaned the rug... then dumped water all over it... put skunk out all over that areas that were bad and let that sit for 1 day... then repeated previous steps. Cleaned rug AGAIN with Judsons 02 mixed with QUAT and then let it dry. The rug STILL SMELLS LIKE PISS in a 1 SF area... Any ideas????!!!

.... you need to let it sit that long in the skunkout submerged and rolling it every hour. And if the water is still coming out yellow you need to keep changing the water. otherwise try what scott suggested and hit it very very heavy!!

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
What David said! It smells like piss because it’s still full of piss that dog was probably hitting the same spot every day for a year. I would agitate with a bonnet and keep flushing and flushing.

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
with skunk out or rug restorer put a punp in pit to circulate the solution and it should work.

It'll cost more than the rug is worth.

Terry

tafbaig

Supportive Member
If you really have to do it, then start with soaking in OSR, extract and then place in a small room and use an ozone machine for a day or two. That should do that trick. Good luck.

Name
Nate W.
tafbaig said:
If you really have to do it, then start with soaking in OSR, extract and then place in a small room and use an ozone machine for a day or two. That should do that trick. Good luck.

After it's dry of course. You'll bleach it if it's still wet.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We've had zero success using ozone to remove urine odors. The best we can do is temporarily hide the urine odor under the smell of ozone.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Ditto re the use of Ozone - it's great for smoke odors but with urine not so much - a waste of time imo.

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
OK, looks like tomorrow I will be hitting it with some PetZone and keeping my fingers crossed. Also have Anti Allergy Deodorizer by masterblend... anyone have success with that stuff?

leesenter

Masterbleds Responsible Care deodorizer has been great for us on cat urine, not as much for dog urine.
I would follow Scott's advice.

-JB-

Name
JB
do this I guarantee it. or I'll give ya yer money back!

go to the store get a box of the cheapest powdered laundry soap they have usually about $1 a box

fill the pit to about a inch over the rug w/warm water

add 1 cup of the cheapo detergent to a 5 gal pail of warm water

dump it in the pit, agitate w/a Cimex or like tool

get a plastic lawn roller, the kind ya fill w/water for weight...
6af473ca-2a63-4c60-bb30-ffa181a550bf_300.jpg

roll the #%^&! outta it!

drain the pit, rinse till the water runs clear, then rinse some more, then one more time for good measure!

as long as you rinse till the "yellow" stops running, it WILL work.

have done this to a cat pee soaked wool 1 inch thick, 9X12 Chi Ori, had to do it 2x, but worked like a charm, having said that...

even at $5 a sq ft, it's hard to make any money doing it!

Definitely not worth the time on a syn, but I understand you started the job, so finishih it, been there done that... good luck.

let us know how it turns out

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I just finished a similar piss soaked syntactic. Chemicals will only do so much. It just takes allot of time, and water. There really needs to be some kind of automated machine on the market to gently agitate rugs in a wash pit. You could probably rig something up to fill the pit with fresh water at pre set intervals. Then you would just have to dry and deliver. Has anyone ever attempted using ultra sonic technology to wash rugs?

Name
I'm Rick James
bensurdi said:
OK, looks like tomorrow I will be hitting it with some PetZone and keeping my fingers crossed. Also have Anti Allergy Deodorizer by masterblend... anyone have success with that stuff?

You know when urine comes out it is acidic. It starts to shift to a higher PH creating salt crystals that absorbe moisture, promoting bacteria growth. Thats why urine smells worst of humid days and when you hit it with your wand. From the sound of it, that has been going on for some time. I think you may of made the problem worst when you soaked it the first time, you probably fed the odor causing bacteria quicker than you could elimanate it.

So you want to introduce your own pleasant smelling bacteria to consume the food source in the urine so it consumes the source of the odor. For it to work you need to keep the rug soaked for 24-48 hours in warm water with a very strong mixture of your bacteria. Tooo less and you will just promote the bad bacteria growth. You can also use a safe oxidizing cleaner to remove the urine deposits, but that is a seperate step.

Awe look at me helping my competitor.

Ivebeensold

RIP IT

Name
Chris
ALL of this effort/expense for a synthetic rug?
STEP 1. dig a shallow pit...........etc. :mrgreen:

or hook up a waterclaw to the square foot of the rug that is still a problem, fire up the truckmount and suck every single chemical in your shed through the rug until it stops smelling. whats the worst that could happen? a $99 plastic rug goes in the bin. ( and you waste valuable moments of your life and dump $100 in chemical ).
see Step 1.^

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
ACE said:
I just finished a similar piss soaked syntactic. Chemicals will only do so much. It just takes allot of time, and water. There really needs to be some kind of automated machine on the market to gently agitate rugs in a wash pit. You could probably rig something up to fill the pit with fresh water at pre set intervals. Then you would just have to dry and deliver. Has anyone ever attempted using ultra sonic technology to wash rugs?

http://www.centrum-force.com/washing-tub.php bout as close as you can come to an automatic system for urien type rugs.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Is this TUFTED by chance? Does it have a material covered backing? If so - you are not going to get that odor out.

Soaking the rug for 2 days doesn't do much unless you are doing what everyone has said - flush OUT the urine salts as they liquify, and push the yellow water away and out of the pit. This is why a cement floor wash set-up works ideally - you can dump acid on the rug, saturate it, then run the hoses underneath and squeegee that puppy until the water runs out clean.

I personally prefer the Masterblend deodorizer over his Skunk one because the Skunk has an awful fragrance to it.

We have had no success with Ozone. We have had success with the Odorox machine. But, tossing down $3,000+ for that is probably not something your client would cover - LOL.

There is a point when you evaluate the value of the rug, or the extent of the damage, and simply say no. If this was a rug peed all over by their kids, they would toss it ... that it's from pets, I don't really see the difference. A toilet is a toilet. And if I wanted to be around sewage all day I'd be working for the water treatment plant and not a rug plant.

Lisa

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom