The UGLY Truth! Animal-Testing - what is REALLY going on in your Encap solutions?!

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
dramatic title to get you to look :arrrr:

but seriously, I have a potential Client that I'm sending a Quote to for their facility. she requested that I also send her documentation to show that no animal-testing was performed in the development of the cleaning solutions that we'll use on their carpet.

so far today I've spoken to 1 seller of Encaps (not sure if he makes it or has it made for him) and he apologized and said that he has nothing to prove that written up. instead of calling all of the encap manu's or distrib's, I figured I'd save time and just ask here.

so have any of you run into this and if so, do you know which encap products might be animal-testing-free??

i know it's a long-shot. thanks in advance :marty:

Reactions: Mikey P

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I'm thinking that only the larger Encap manu's might have any documentation like this, but that might be a long shot as well.

Name
Nate W.
Her next question will be "do you eat meat"...

My reply would be "I haven't tested anything on animals, do you have one you'd like me to test on?" While smirking of course..

I'd actually pull a @dealtimeman on @Desk Jockey and talk about the crystallized dust residue getting into the airstream which would probably be more harmful to whatever is going to be occupying the facility.. :winky:

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with :bull:

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Somebody look up depilatories

There you go...

sketch-1503690244833.png

Reactions: Old Coastie

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The only certificate I know of is the Leaping Bunny
small-logo.png

I'd be very interested in the answer also regarding steam cleaning products like rinses and pre-sprays. None of the manufacturers that we deal with to the best of my knowledge says anything about it or carries the leaping bunny certificate. I'd definitely support (buy the product) of a company that does.

I wonder if Plus Manufacturing (Procyon) says anything about it. Seventh Generation" products carry the leaping bunny label.

From the leaping bunny program:
If a product says "Cruelty-Free" or has a bunny on it, that means it has not been tested on animals?

This is simply not true as the devil is often in the details. Designation as "cruelty-free" or "not tested on animals," or even the image of a bunny on a label may only refer to the finished product, when in fact, most animal testing occurs at the ingredient level. Furthermore, while a company may claim, "We do not test on animals," it could still contract other companies to do the testing. The only way to be 100% certain a company is cruelty-free is to buy products from companies that have been certified by the Leaping Bunny Program, which requires that no new animal testing be used in any phase of product development by the company, its laboratories, or ingredient suppliers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Derek

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I wonder if Plus Manufacturing (Procyon) says anything about it.

I don't know...but I do know that they'll tell you about rubbing garlic on your sole....and you will taste it next morning.

I really, really hope it wasn't an animal test...you don't want to find out how the dog's paws were treated with garlic and next morning when the dog french kissed you in your bed...it tasted like garlic.... Bleeeewwwwhhhhh

So gross when you dog owners let your dog lick you in the face and mouth!!!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Bridgepoint does not test any product on animals. I highly doubt that any manufacturer of carpet cleaning products would test on animals. The question - WHY? We test carpet cleaning products on carpet. No legitimate reason to test on animals.

The great majority of raw materials used in cleaning products have been around a long time. New products are different blends of existing basic ingredients. Many are know entities like sodium, hydrogen peroxide, phosphate and such. If they were ever tested on animals, it was long before someone thought of using them in carpet cleaning products.

A few new surfactants are developed each year. I guess the developer might want to use the same surfactant in baby shampoo or such and tests on a rabbit. I would not know about that. But it would not occur in the process of developing a carpet cleaning product.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Zee, it seems like reducing cruelty to animals is low on your priority list.
Is the following that hard to understand?

Many people view animals as objects, not living beings, and that needs to change. We need to develop more compassion towards animals so we can stop the unethical way that animals are treated every single day.

http://www.ilanelanzen.com/other/co...als-reasons-to-convince-others-to-develop-it/

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Zee, it seems like reducing cruelty to animals is low on your priority list.
Is the following that hard to understand?

Many people view animals as objects, not living beings, and that needs to change. We need to develop more compassion towards animals so we can stop the unethical way that animals are treated every single day.

http://www.ilanelanzen.com/other/co...als-reasons-to-convince-others-to-develop-it/

??

Based on what I wrote.... How did you figure that it was low on my "priority list"?

Because I think it's disgusting to let a dog lick me in the face and mouth?? That has nothing to do with me being against cruelty...which I am btw.

Last edited:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I'd actually pull a @dealtimeman on @Desk Jockey and talk about the crystallized dust residue getting into the airstream which would probably be more harmful to whatever is going to be occupying the facility.. :winky:

Probably the best suggestions If you are planning on doing encap... then sell her HWE for at least 3 times the encap bid.

Tom Forsythe

We use a test called Corrosivetex to test some products for corrosiveness. It uses a special membrane to determine the corrosiveness of a product on skin which can be used for shipping classifications and safety warnings. It prevents testing on mice and rabbits. Many raw materials utilized animal testing in the past with the data still being used decades later. This would probably include hydrogen peroxide, sodium hydroxide, citric acid, glycolic acid, etc. There is a lot of data accumulated over the years that is used for our SDS sheets. Is their a problem with using data derived from animals that we did not request? Is there a grandfather clause from a certain date as there were no other options 30 or 40 years ago? Are they requiring that you redo tests without animals so you are not condemned? If you have no other means of testing do we just release the product to the public?This opens up Pandora's box once you actually think about all of the implications. A simple idea on the surface is amazingly complex in real life. This is why government screws so many things up.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Tom, they already answered that question. This is from their site:

"The only way to be 100% certain a company is cruelty-free is to buy products from companies that have been certified by the Leaping Bunny Program, which requires that no new animal testing be used in any phase of product development by the company, its laboratories, or ingredient suppliers."

"There are many reliable alternatives to using animals available, including cell and tissue cultures and sophisticated computer and mathematical models. Companies can also formulate products using ingredients already determined to be safe."

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
??
Based on what I wrote.... How did you figure that it was low on my "priority list"?

Because I think it's disgusting to let a dog lick me in the face and mouth?? That has nothing to do with me being against cruelty...which I am btw.
I am glad to hear it, Zee.
My judgment was based on the mocking tone in the posts and not yours alone (Nate, Marty). Glad to hear that you care about reducing animal suffering.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I am glad to hear it, Zee.
My judgment was based on the mocking tone in the posts and not yours alone (Nate, Marty). Glad to hear that you care about reducing animal suffering.

Ofer, if anything, my wife won't even buy meat that is not at least labeled cruelty free. (since we won't be vegans in the foreseeable future)

We're just not in favor of dogs in bed with humans and sharing food and licking each other... That's gross. (think about where the dog's nose and tongue has been...)

Reactions: hogjowl

steve_64

How can any company say their product is safe for pets if they haven't tested it on any?

Reactions: Newman

Able 1

Name
Keith
They should just test it on fetuses, then we will know for sure..:eekk: Well...

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Releasit does not test on animals.
In fact I doubt that any carpet cleaner manufacturer does.
It's not necessary for our industry (this isn't mascara or lipstick).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom