The World's Greatest Rug ID Thread.

Mikey P

Administrator
I brought these in today.

terrazo008.jpg

terrazo007.jpg

White one is a Ikea special, cost about $79.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Back to the topic of Tibetan rugs made in Nepal vs. Tibetan rugs made in Northern on the first page India here are a couple of pics

The first rug is a Nepalese Tibetan rug the back has a rough look because it's hand spun and plied yarns the weaving technique is slightly different too which i won't address here

DSCN2347.jpg

This is an Indian Tibetan. the wool is machine spun singles not plied so the knots are slightly taller and smoother on the back and knots are more definable

DSCN2346.jpg

Mikey P

Administrator
Secured?

Why?

I'm not having a lay issue with this one, just some browning.

I let the chimp flush this one untended and I think he didn't get enough of the shampoo out.

the other 11 rugs came out sweet., some fringe browning but the rugs are bright and fluffy.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
it appears nothing is holding the end together but the header on the salvage and that’s starting to unravel or so it looks in the pic steaming it without the steam

terrazo008.jpg

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
I don't know much about where they are made I just clean them, but the owner of this one paid $60.000.00[attachment=2:1uqmknd8]001.JPG[/attachment:1uqmknd8]

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We've had a couple of customers bring in Tibetans made with all silk pile. They also reported paying in the $60,000 range.

One was all white, with severe traffic soiling, dog oil and a few urine stains. You have real money when you can abuse a rug that cost that much.

Mike,
I'd recommend seeing if the customer would agree to turning what's left of the fringe on the Indo-Persian under and securing it with latex. These typically don't have much of a resale value so you wouldn't be wrecking the value of the rug.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Are you talking about the kelim unravelling. You would want to sew that with a overcast stitch. Bryan Why not overcast it . I know the value isnt there but doesn't adhesive being used on a rug wrong. Mikey you can get that adhesive from your local carpet supply house

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
MIke,
You might not want to take on that rug as your first. The foundation is stiff enough that you may have to steam and pound the end to get the kilim to fold before you can glue it.

Harry,
I used to have that perspective (sew only) but with the volume of inexpensive hand-knotted rugs that have little resale value coupled with the owner's refusal to spend the money for hand work, I've eased away from that a bit. Once I started seeing new rugs with kilim glued under and that the fringes had obviously been cut off somewhere after manufacture I realized that contemporary rugs don't have fringe; it's out of style.

We'll insist on hand work on some rugs, and give the customer options on others. For example, a 9x12 Bokhara could be a rug that fits nicely in a particular home, but would sell used for $100. That rug either gets a machine-sewn fringe or has the fringe turned under, and more often than not the price of glue is what they want. I put the average Indo-Persian in the same group.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
You can buy latex glue by the gallon (or smaller sizes) at any carpet supply store. Buy a gallon and seal it tight after using and it will last you a while.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
bump and one more. Lady said she purchased for $80.00 at an estate sale. Suspected of being over 60 years old. Definatly shows its age. We are thinking this might be an afghan... or are we dead wrong?

Rugs003.jpg

Rugs005.jpg

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Mikey you little rug is copy of a late 19th century Wagireh (Sampler rug) it’s made in Turkey several produces make similar pieces Woven legends, Oritop & Asia minor it should have a label on the back.

Sweeny’s rug,

It could be Afghani or made in North eastern Iran it looks structurally it looks Baluchi but it has a Turkoman design

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom