This dirty old Butler.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0482.JPG

Previous owner didn't wash the truck or remove his magnets before showing it off to me. It was remarkably filthy.
IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG

You can see another outline of one of the fabulous magnets that were on there in this picture. Up front in the lower wheel well I had to replace a plastic trim piece. The body is very true and straight and the wrap should make it look great! Probably wheel covers or something cheap for now on the wheels...
IMG_0488.JPG

I think the roof is going to be great when I'm done with it!
IMG_0489.JPG

This was after rubbing on it for probably an hour and a half. The inside will happen in the future sometime.

I'm actually assuming nothing has been done to it in 15 years, by the general filth of the van. I'm not mechanical at all so I hope it's not too hard to get it running like new again.

Very low miles and hours on this gem.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
It's going to be awesome. It was incredibly filthy BUT incredibly quiet and smooth going down the road...all the way from near Philly, PA. Ive got a lot of cleaning to do on the inside and I will probably change each belt and fluid.

What should I attempt to do?

What should I pay my mechanic to do?

Should I go ahead and descale it or run something else through it to clear it all out?

It just sat for SO long. 791 original cleaning hours on an '02 Butler.

Name
Nate W.
It's going to be awesome. It was incredibly filthy BUT incredibly quiet and smooth going down the road...all the way from near Philly, PA. Ive got a lot of cleaning to do on the inside and I will probably change each belt and fluid.

What should I attempt to do?

What should I pay my mechanic to do?

Should I go ahead and descale it or run something else through it to clear it all out?

It just sat for SO long. 791 original cleaning hours on an '02 Butler.

New hour meter and unhooked speedometer cable will keep it at low hours... :lol:

Congrats on scoring it!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
New hour meter and unhooked speedometer cable will keep it at low hours... :lol:

Congrats on scoring it!
Don't be that guy!

I have no doubt the hours/miles are accurate, neither does my mechanic. He was my first stop. Even before I washed it.

But this deal didn't come without some extra work. I've never been all that afraid of it though.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
For the descaling, I'd just remove a few of the hoses and see how they look in the inside. If it looks good, it shouldn't need it. But if it sat for a long time, I'd get an opinion on how Butler descales their machines.

Reactions: Russ T.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
View attachment 72049 View attachment 72050
Previous owner didn't wash the truck or remove his magnets before showing it off to me. It was remarkably filthy. View attachment 72051 View attachment 72052
You can see another outline of one of the fabulous magnets that were on there in this picture. Up front in the lower wheel well I had to replace a plastic trim piece. The body is very true and straight and the wrap should make it look great! Probably wheel covers or something cheap for now on the wheels...View attachment 72053
I think the roof is going to be great when I'm done with it!View attachment 72054
This was after rubbing on it for probably an hour and a half. The inside will happen in the future sometime.

I'm actually assuming nothing has been done to it in 15 years, by the general filth of the van. I'm not mechanical at all so I hope it's not too hard to get it running like new again.

Rusty...

I would
do a descale,
do a blower clean out and lube,

check all filters which one is behind your drivers seat under that lid for the blower,

and change out filter going to waste tank if inside the tank...I have some tricks for you here later too....

Change all lubricants in the Cat pump and blower (that Blower is probably a grease front end blower too)

We will get you set up to bypass the live reel on the unit...or only carry 100 feet of hose on the reel and rest of hose in back....and maybe get you set up with 50 feet of 2.5 inch hose.

Change the belts under the Butler lid, and also get an extra set of belts to keep in the truck

Change the belts on the front of the van (this is a bit more work but nothing has to be removed except old belts and you use a 3/8 inch drive of socket wrench) and again, get an extra set of belts to have in the van for the front.
With that low of hours the lower pulley on the front of the van motor (on the crankshaft) should be no problem really but they can eventually groove out and lose belt tension

That is a vacuum pod RPM control, so you will want to make sure they are set so at high speed you are hitting the red line of 1750 rpm.

For the Van motor oil, we use Rotella T 15-40 weight oil...and change oil at least every 1500 miles (that oil is made for diesel motors but since always garage kept...it works very well for us) Also, Dodge dealers Diesel motor oil is Rotella T 15-40 if want to get serviced there, and we also have an express Lube here that has that as their Diesel motor oil....

And you have me on Speed Dial....WE are going to talk!....

Heck...I should just get on the road and get on down there and super tune that baby this weekend!

But here is my Butler Maintenance playlist with all the above mentioned except changing the belts in the front of the van...that is a hard one to video and do...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg45027waKT_z6O_BzzCsmJcC5r2teKCf

Name
Kevin De Medeiros
View attachment 72049 View attachment 72050
Previous owner didn't wash the truck or remove his magnets before showing it off to me. It was remarkably filthy. View attachment 72051 View attachment 72052
You can see another outline of one of the fabulous magnets that were on there in this picture. Up front in the lower wheel well I had to replace a plastic trim piece. The body is very true and straight and the wrap should make it look great! Probably wheel covers or something cheap for now on the wheels...View attachment 72053
I think the roof is going to be great when I'm done with it!View attachment 72054

Congratulations Russ. That's a great deal on an awesome machine

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Thanks so much guys!!

Mark, I can't tell you the sense of security KNOWING you'd drive 6 hours down here to help me with my new rig. You're a class act.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Congrats Russ! Where did you find this deal?
Mark mentioned to me, or here on the board I can't remember, that there was a listing on Butler's website.

I saw it and jumped immediately. I don't think he understood what he had, even considering it's filthy condition and general lack of use and maintenance over the years.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
IMG_0530.JPG

The belts and fluids came from Butler today. I'll have to install another day.
IMG_0534.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG

We scrubbed and vacuumed for about 2 hours. The inside is almost immaculate now.

The chem hose is caked solid from lack of use...it was empty...except for hardened pieces of something in the bottom. The solution line is jumping all over the place. I'm replacing the hose and going to try to get the juices flowing.

Everything is right in my face when I lift the lid and Saiger is on speed dial!

This is going to be great once the kinks get ironed out. Turns out the dirty old Butler is super clean!

Back
Top Bottom