Tiered Compensation Plan

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
I am re-writing our compensation plan for our field techs.
Trying to come up with a better baseline for how they can earn hourly increases. I know the SFS model is pay more if IICRC certified in various fields (.20 per certification). However, that's not always doable for the guys and is a double edged sword as they can't go take 5 classes in a year.
Likewise ALL of our guys are already certified in at least WRT.
Considering a 5 tier system based on knowledge.
I am trying to tie it into our training program. ( currently consists of 6 months) but unsure if I should make it capped per tier or allow guys that negotiated stronger in the front end to make more throughout their career with DONE.

Your thoughts?

Anyone have anything like this they wouldn't mind sharing?
I refuse to leave my desk today until this is to bed....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I refuse to leave my desk today until this is to bed....
Hope you brought your blanket with you! :winky:

That is one complicated mess and while certifications are great for incremental raises we still have individuals that have the same certs but because they offer more to the company are paid higher.

You might also consider putting together your own training program that's tailored from what DONE expects from them. I'd get Steve Toburen's CD's on Healing The Loss. Might as well get everyone on the bus and heading in the right direction right off.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Personally wouldnt want to base compensation solely on knowledge.
Performance, actions have to taken in account somehow. Some people KNOW how to do something but just dont do it consistently.

Not sure how though.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea we have people that are better with clients and adjusters as well as some that are capable of leading people where others have the certs but don't possess those skills.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
I agree. I am attempting to build this primarily based on skill set with a small emphasis on certifications. We have a our training program, I'm just pulling what little hair i have out on the best way to do this where it's as fair (relative of course) as possible.
Trying to figure a way to also allow a end product review. This would entail our Field Supervisor performing regular post inspection of jobs after they have been setup. Negative or Positive points per checklist item...
Still trying to sort it. Welcome all suggestions..
And yes! i packed a lunch...lol

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm just pulling what little hair i have out on the best way to do this where it's as fair (relative of course) as possible.
:lol:

I have to hand it to you, you take on challenges head on. Those are the kind of thing that have frustrated us for decades. We complicate it by offering carpet cleaning, commercial carpet cleaning, air ducts & area rugs. It "might" be easier if we were only restoration. ????

I really don't think I have anything that would be of help to you. :icon_neutral:

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Thanks. Those are in there for us but are few and far between. Restoration is where this lies. it actually has been harder for me than carpet cleaning would be. Such as- at which point should a tech know how to properly remove and mark a door? How to do you ensure this? Field audits?
it's becoming a hell of a chore...
I'm at tier 2. have 3 more tiers to go. Currently have 12 pages written. Maybe 6-8 more to go...
After that I will refine it- send to my admin to review for typos and polishing. Then to lawyer to make sure it will comply with GA employment laws and and the FLSA..
At least i'm not hungry anymoreL Soup has been consumed and i'm ready to keep going....

Reactions: Desk Jockey

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Are you also doing benefits and health insurance?
How long will it take someone to make it thru the five tiers?

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Yes health and retirement
At most can can advance will be two tiers per year.
Original skill set witll evaluate what tier you are in.
Max cap out with tiers and master restorer certs is $26 per hour.

I finished all but tier 4 and 5.
Awaiting input from the Field supervisor .

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
The beauty is your tier can also go down based on your scores on you in site evaluation.

For example you are tier 3 and can setup injectidry on wood floors yet in your evaluations you clearly are doing it improperly . You can go down during your next evaluation as you clearly don't poses those skills. Anyone can't test well and bs. The proof is in the pudding

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
The beauty is your tier can also go down based on your scores on you in site evaluation.

For example you are tier 3 and can setup injectidry on wood floors yet in your evaluations you clearly are doing it improperly . You can go down during your next evaluation as you clearly don't poses those skills. Anyone can't test well and bs. The proof is in the pudding

That sounds like a great plan, i like it a lot.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Wow. That is a lot of work. A lot to keep track of. Essential if you are or are growing a large company I guess. My simple approach will work well for up to 8 techs and project managers in the field.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Wow. That is a lot of work. A lot to keep track of. Essential if you are or are growing a large company I guess. My simple approach will work well for up to 8 techs and project managers in the field.
What's your approach ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom