Time for new portables

Fon Johnson

I am researching portables right now. I need one for furniture cleaning that will also do a good job on carpet. I want one with 500 or so psi (adjustable), 2 3 stage vacs, and reliability. I want to keep the price under $2,000 for this one. I also need a high pressure machine for tile and grout that can also be used on carpet. I really get some mixed reviews on the high pressure machines, so I want to start with the upholstery machine (more of a need right now) first.

I am looking at Mytee, Ninja, the Galaxy at Basic Maintenance, and the Nexus (Northland product) that Jeff Ellis has. I need to keep price reasonable, as I pay cash for everything. I don't have to have auto dump/fill, but would like 12 to 15 gallon tanks. I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly about them all. Feel free to email me if you don't want to post here. I also don't mind email from salesmen with specs and price, but no high pressure sales please. :-)

Do you buy direct from Mytee, or through distributors? I don't know who carries them in or near TN.

Thanks for any information. I am a tm guy, but I need a portable on at least two of the trucks for big jobs and as a back up.

Fonster

Oh, I almost forgot. I also need a "suitcase" portable spot cleaner for going in and doing those spots that are at the back of the store, touching spots in homes, spot cleaning small spills scattered through monthly commercial accounts, etc.

harryhides

Name
Tony
I'm having a super sucker porty custom built by an engineer with plenty of practical knowledge of this industry.
Mine will be used primarily for highrise flood work and reg cleaning.

Don't think that you will all that you seek in a single unit for approx 2k.

Fon Johnson

I knew I would get the quickest response here. :D

Harry, what are you having built, and who is building it? As for a 400 to 500 psi machine with 2 3 stage vacs and no heater, I am finding that about $1,600 to $1,700 is the "going price". I don't want heat (I understand that is really a waste on a portable.) I just need something that will do a good job of cleaning upholstery, and do a good job on carpet as well. I know, I know.. nothing will clean like a tm.. I would just like to have a back up, extra machine for big jobs, and a machine for high rise/ lock-in work.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Durrmaid just made a new suitcase sized extractor that I saw in one of the trade mags.

Driguy

Olympus Portables have a wide range of options for carpet cleaning portables.

M3-500 H

2 3 stage motors, 500 PSI w/o Heat is about $2400 and change
2 2 stage motors, 500 PSI w/ Heat is about $2750

Mytee offers a big machine that does carpet and tile off of 2 seperate pumps

http://mytee.com/products/product.php?id=M-12

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Fon;

Assuming your primary need is carpet cleaning (two 3-stg,vacs):

1. Look for a hi-pressure pump with plenty of flow & pressure. We like 1.6 GPM and 400 to 450 PSI for good flushing action. You can even do some grout cleaning with the high GPM.

2. Make sure the 3-stage vacs are the hi-perf models with 137" of lift each.
There are some 3 stages with only 117" of lift.

Both Mytee & Ninja are available with these vac & pump options ~ @ your price point.

Larry Cobb

Greenie

I'm no proponent of elec. heat on porties, and in fact I call all heated units "upholstery machines", but if you are seriously just looking for a couch sucker and not a rug sucker, a heated machine may serve just fine with 02 to 03 flow.

You will only need a single 3 stage vac and you won't need a 500 psi pump, so you could save a few bucks. 10 gal is a lot of juice for furniture work, it may also be more compact for storage reasons.

G

Why wouldn't you want heat? I've had 2 portys with heat.. Just think.. your labor and time is decreased.. you use less chemicals..

I've used'em with 02 and 03's and had good heat.. steam affects!

Well not as good as a TM but better than no heat.. Get heat you'll be glad you did..............

Greenie

Johnny, you rinsed carpet with a total flow of 02 and 03 on a 12" carpet wand?

Could you put your hand in the spray at carpet level, if so, was it really what most call hot water extraction? Or was it just over warm?

If you put out more than .5 gpm, most elec. heaters struggle, that is why I call em furniture machines, they do fine at less than .5 gpm and you don't need the additional high amp draw vac motor.

G

Greenie, It was alot hotter than the water in the solution tank which was hot tap water.. The disconnects were like hot potatoes.. Now if you keep it keyed for some time it looses some heat.. and if you lay the wand down for say 5 minutes it would overheat and you'd have to push in the reset button after you keyed it again for a few minutes.. To me it was worth the $430 i payed for the Heater..

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Do like Larry says, save your money on the heater. If you want heat then get a bucket heater much better for a portable. 2 3 stage and 500psi at a decent flow would be good. I have a Ninja with 2-3's and 250psi and it cleans carpet ok, glad I have it. But it collects dust because I do very little upholstery anymore, most of the folks I serve just buy new instead of cleaning. Must be nice.

Mister Sir

G

Don't get a bucket heater.. Your pump won't last as long.. Between the 2 i would get the portable heat exchanger.. I've used both for years.. Some hot heat is better than the warm tap water...

Name
Jesse
I did a heat test on my Cobra 500. The test was performed with 90 degree water in the solution tank. Temps were measured with a Lie detector ATM. The wand had two 02 jets.

400psi, keyed max pressure: Cleaning average was 125F, Keyed continuously was 113F.

200psi keyed: Cleaning average was 155F, Keyed continuously 115F.

Highest recorded temp: Spiked briefly to 132F. Average high temp 215F when you set the wand down to move the machine ect.

With a drimaster medium-low flow, 150 psi atm. It maintained 200 no problem. I didn't do much testing with this tool due to the lack of notable settings with the needle valve.

Greenie

Thanks for posting your real life numbers Jesse.
The next one I would like to see is the bucket test with the 02 jets, be interesting to see what 200 & 400 psi produce on that machine.

This is the reason I say skip the extra cord for an onboard heater "400psi, keyed max pressure: Cleaning average was 125F, Keyed continuously was 113F."

G

Greenie.. i meant to say 2-02 and 2-03.. 06 flow...

What heater did you test.. This one here >>

GETS HOT!! With total 06 @ 250psi.. Sure they will lose some heat with more flow and psi's but will still be alot hotter than the tap water in the clean tank!

Another shot with 06 and 250psi >>

Seeing is believing.. Beats no heat or bucket heater.. Cost more too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom