Time to do maintenance on things!! prep for winter

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
So part of my to do list is already done but this is what it started as:

Descale machine, and solution lines (do this before doing the rest, i have very hard water and do this every 6 months, even though i run soft water 90% of the time, it keeps your heat exchanges working the best possible)
Check belts, couplers for wear or adjustments needed
check heat exchanger to see if it needs cleaned
check chemical injection system, chemical check valve, tm outlet strainer
check all pressure lines for wear, or rubbing on anything.
lube bullet in pressure regulator-
if its a maintainable item
change oil and filter in tm engine if needed
adjust valves on tm engine if needed -
hard to start is a indication of possible adjustment needed
change tm spark plugs if needed or due - hard to start, and black soot is indication of change needed.
change oil in blowers - most blowers are 500hrs, doesn't mean you have to wait that long
change oil in water pumps - some are 150-500hrs check owner manual for recommended hrs before changing oil.
Check spray jets for wear, or bad patterns replace as necessary - brass ones wear out a lot faster than Stainless steel ones.
(i have the above done at pembertons every 6 months if i have time)

clean all filters/ strainer in machines
shop vac out water box
(to remove any sediment that may have occured, mine usually have almost none since i have a 5 micron filter inline before the machine)
Do a heavy duty rinse of waste tanks - high flow, park so waste outlet is lowest point use ramps if necessary. this helps get the sand out.
change/ repair quick connects, shut off valves
clean strainers on all tools that have them
wipe down complete inside of van
clean carpet/ floors in van
wash and wax van -
so salt doesn't stick over the winter
check coolant levels
check tranny oil
(if its been a while since a flush or change maybe look into that as that oil doesn't last forever)
Change oil in van if close to changing point
Check tire pressures -
as it gets colder they will go down
Rotate tires if needed
Check tread depth
- replace tires as needed (stay 10 ply or better for heavy duty vehicles) if you cant drive in the rain, you probably cant drive in the snow.
Check/ change brakes if needed
Test tm and van battery to make sure they are strong and can survive the winter
change engine and or air cabin air filters if needed

so yeah tm and van maintenance but its all one system, if you cant get to the job, you cant run your machine. And as most of us slow down a little time for these things becomes available.

Last edited:

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
Mark Saiger please add anything i left out. You have much more experience than i do with DD's. if i missed something please add.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger please add anything i left out. You have much more experience than i do with DD's. if i missed something please add.

This is a really good list you've done Scott but if I run into something as we are doing maintenance today and it's something you might have left off the list I will add it. Again great post!

Reactions: Scott S.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
One big thing that ive talked about in a couple posts now is the importance of carrying a winterizing kit in your van. so if your van breaks down your equipment doesnt freeze up causing extra expense to an already bad situation.

carry an open ended connector, 2-3 gallons of glycol anitfreeze (depending upon your heat exchanger size and how many tools line etc you want to protect)

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom