Tire recommendations for my truck?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Hi,
A few months back I bought a used Dodge Ram Van 2500 with a Hydramaster CDS. I have not driven the vehicle much (I'm not in business yet ) but my front tires are in need of replacement and I want to be safe.
Currently it has two Wildcat R/T LT 225/75 R 16 Load range E in the back and a pair of really worn 4 ply no name tires on the front. I was thinking about just replacing the front tires with a used set because the rear ones are still good but maybe getting a new set is the safer way to go.
The van is 1/2 ton but has an upgraded 3/4 ton suspension I was told by the seller.
I went to a few tire stores today and the price for a set of four ranged from 400( no name made in China) at Altons to 800 (Goodyear)at Sears installed.
At Sears they told me about 4/6/8/10 ply tires with 10 ply being the best if I carry a lot of weight.Considering that I will have the water tank,the machine and everything else in it what type of tires would be right?
I'm in Northern Idaho, so traction is an issue for me in the winter.
I also think that the white lettering on the sidewalls is kind of cool looking :)
Thanks

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Forget all that.

Put a 12" skyjacker lift on it and throw some 46" super swampers on that bad summbich!

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
got 4 goodyear tracker 2s at walmart 10 ply load range for under 300...

But the name you buy whatever it is should be 10 ply load e...

Lots of good answers on the other bb if I may suggest under search archives...

Saw some nice hankooks today...

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Thanks Caesar.Ten Ply it will be.I'll call Walmart tomorrow.I did a search on Tires on this forum and a couple of others but nothing interesting came up.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
If you are short on cash today then just buy 2 of those tires for the front. then when you have more cash rotate those to the back and buy 2 more tires for the front. I should of bought ten ply LT tires. I ended up getting 6 ply uniroyal laredo tires from wally world they are a heavier tire but not LT rated tires. They have been good tires and I am happy with them. better then the basic tires and they do have a higher weight rating. No water tank in a 1/2 ton van with stronger rear springs.

Mister Sir

Fon Johnson

I would stick with the E load rated 10 ply tires. As for personal preference, I like Michelin. I usually get right at 100,000 miles out of a set of Michelin LT tires on my trucks. They ride great, handle great, and they usually oulast a cheaper set of tires 2 to 1. They cost more up front, but they last as much as 4 times as long as other tires. If they are out of your price range, buy the best 10 ply E tire you can get for the money. Safety is a big concern with tires on a big heavy truck attempting to stop in the rain.

The specific tire I buy it the Michelin XC LT4 made for Sears, but any Michelin LT tire in that load range should serve you well.

Fonster

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
OK Roxy, you've listened to me before, so do it again. Sam's Club, BF Goodrich Commercial, I paid like 5-600 bucks for the set. Cheaper when you buy 4.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom