TM - Noise & Heat & Polycarbonate Plastic

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Have you thought of ways to quite down truckmounts.

In conjuction with a way to transfer heat of TM w/out having to open any doors, meaning if the doors of your van/truck are fully closed when TM is operating, how can we get the heat out effectively, but w/out making more noise to our surroundings.

Polycarbonate plastic can sustain low and high temps(around 300 f), it's very durable, it flexes, but it does not chatter like glass. There are many thickness of this material being used. It also can work as a sound barrier for sound deadening. It's also 1/12th of the weight of glass at the same thickness.

So an enclosure of some sort made with similar materials above, that would allow access to the TM yet can be close for sound deadning. Along with an exhaust fan(s) holes, along w/ a reverse negative air system to escape the hot air out.

I know there's gotta be ways to do this.

Would like to start a discussion on this.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
the lion's share of racket on a TM is from the blower, Bill.
on a slide-in, there's also a fair amount from the engine.

covering the TM in a poly shroud "might" help reduce some engine, pump and blower vibration/chatter noise, but my concern would be over heating.
If you poked enough holes in it to allow proper ventilation, you're back to square one as far as noise.
You're vent fans will not only be pulling hot air, but also the noise, no?

and you still have to address the blower and motor...as the exhaust must vent outside
That's where the focus should start if you want to quite it down.
The blower and engine exhaust

I ran our exhaust thru the floor, then mounted a hi-flow performance muffler under the van frame.
That made a large difference on our Powermatic...which is a loud machine to start with.

Mounting the TM on thick rubber mat will also help reduce some of the vibration noise

..L.T.A.

Chris A

Name
Chris
you know I always thought the worst noise was from the blower exhaust, but I closed up my doors at an after hours residential the other night, and it was pretty reasonable (my blower exhaust exits under the truck. I guess you'd have to do the same on a slide in to shut the doors.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Chris Adkins said:
I guess you'd have to do the same on a slide in to shut the doors.

It's not a good idea with a slide-in, Chris.
Even if exhausted thru the floor, you still need "clean air" for cooling.
Maybe less with water cooled motors, but certainly bad ju-ju for air cooled power plants

I'll be looking for your van while I'm out about in your 'hood today.
I'll quiet it down some more for you while your working inside.

I have a couple potatoes...one for blower silencer and one for engine exhaust.... :twisted:

:mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

Chris A

Name
Chris
meAt said:
Chris Adkins said:
I guess you'd have to do the same on a slide in to shut the doors.

It's not a good idea with a slide-in, Chris.
Even if exhausted thru the floor, you still need "clean air" for cooling.
Maybe less with water cooled motors, but certainly bad ju-ju for air cooled power plants

I'll be looking for your van while I'm out about in your 'hood today.
I'll quiet it down some more for you while your working inside.

I have a couple potatoes...one for blower silencer and one for engine exhaust.... :twisted:

:mrgreen:

I'd check all the lines to your Wayne Burner before you head out! :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom