To 2 ½, or to 2, Inches, of course- That is the question

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
So I am getting a new van for the sierra. Don't ask.
Hose from recovery tank 3" will connect to filter box with two outlets.

Currently I work by myself (don't ask :winky:). But who knows, if I bribe or threaten my kid, crying is definitely an option, no knowing what will happen. I'd like to keep my options open

On the filter box I can do 1 x 2 ½", and 1 x 2" or 2 x 2" outlets.

Most of the work will be fairly close to van (not likely more than 200 feet) but who knows what kind of work will present itself in the new location. I don't normally dual wand, however the van (Butler Large blower) will be capable of it and who knows I my have an employee. I never used a 2 ½" and will definitely not run it inside with a whip (two cumbersome) Maybe the first 50 leading from the van at most. And not quite sure how much of a kick it really gives.

Which would be the best option?

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Maybe the first 50 leading from the van at most.
I think you will do that.
I ordered mine with the live reel as 1- 2 inch vacuum out and the Y Saiger 2 inch out. Lets you use the live reel or just take hose from the live reel and connect it to the Saiger Y out...good for short runs.
The Saiger Y is now offered by Butler.
I am going to add the 2 and a half Saiger Y since I am thinking now that on almost any job it's nice to have the first 50 feet essentially not restricting air flow to the 2 inch.
I carry 300 feet of hose. So even though I went all 2 inch I am going to change that in the near future to have the first length of vacuum hose 2 and a half inch.
I also like having 2 ports even though I never plan on doing any dual wanding.
Congratulations on the new Butler!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
not sure what you're asking Ofer

if you're asking if 2.5" hose is worth the hassle?
hell no..not for "normal" hose runs anyway
what I'd consider "normal" runs (and what anyone with 1/2 brain would consider "normal" ) would 75 to 125 ft.

If the majority of your runs are that length, leave the 2.5 to the pack following majoons
cause there will be no practical difference in dry times

If regularly stretching out 200 and more, 2.5 starts to make some difference

..L.T.A.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Hebrew boy, thanks you all.

upload_2017-7-17_17-45-44.jpeg

Since I don't know what my runs will be, I'm just speculating. Here in S.F it is usually up to 200 feet and every once in a while longer.
Not sure what I'll need there, especially if I get to the richer areas with these McMansions.

Does anyone actually have a measured information re:
  1. What kind of airflow boost does the 2 ½" actually gives?
  2. And since it increases airflow, does it reduce water lift?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
  1. What kind of airflow boost does the 2 ½" actually gives?
  2. And since it increases airflow, does it reduce water lift?

that dumchit is for other thinking gEEks with gadgets to play with
cause the ONLY things that matter, are the things that matter ...like dry times, efficiency and happy custys .
Your dry times won't be any different , but efficiency will go down handling the stiff, heavy, bulky hose.
Your custys won't know the difference

..L.T.A.

Reactions: ruff

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
First 50' for us is 2.5

do me a favor, Coop
the next time you clean carpets in your home, do half the LR with your set up.
Then cut the 2.5 off and go 2

let me know what difference in dry times

that's the ONLY way to do it right...same room, same day, same time

..L.T.A.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I agree and Richard is probably right and I won't be double wanding. However, if I do need to do it (leave option opened) wouldn't having one of the filter outlets be a 2 ½" better?

If both are 2" that means that there need to be two holes on the sliding door (that's how Butler does it) which interferes with the wrap.
In that case the 2 ½" option will allow me to run 50' of 2 ½" to the house, a Y split and double wand. It will also potentially allow for longer runs and only one hole in door (looks better).

I am not one of these guys that tries to squeeze every inch of performance out of his machine. And will definitely not use the 2 ½" hose on a regular basis- too cumbersome, difficult to manage and I am getting old by the minute :winky:

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
You can already dual wand if you have the filter box. The Y connector is primarily to by-pass the live reel for short runs.

Attachments

• butlery.png
    butlery.png
    296.3 KB · Views: 194

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Bob. I am not a fan of live reels. Connecting directly from recovery tank to filter box that is by the side door (mid mount). Filter box will have two outlets of my choice. I will be able to run two 2", if door is left open or if I do two holes in door.
Or one of each kind with one hole in door.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
The way we have them set up...we carry the hose on the Live reel, but only take off the reel what we need...we plug up the rest of the hose remaining on the reel. There is a y bypass mounted above the high pressure water line for easy hook up rather than go into the van and waste tank to hook up....

Much easier set up...but also, I do use 2.5 inch hose...the Reel will carry 100 feet of 2.5 inch...I carry in my 2 inch hose....

I like the 2.5 inch hose...I tend to only use 50 feet of it the most...but today, we were doing 250 foot hose runs, and knew they were longer, so we packed extra hose....

We bring usually extra 2.5 inch hose to hook up.

Reactions: ruff
Back
Top Bottom