To flow or not to flow?

KBRENNY

After going to 5 number 2 jets on my wand I realized that my 100 gal fresh water tank was just short on half of the commercial jobs now. Most of my commercial accounts have limited or no access to water. To solve this problem I was going to make a removable orifice tube fixed between the wand valve and the hose going down to the jets. After talking to Greenie he had added to my idea with the thought of using a ball valve and drilling the appropriate size hole through the ball part of the valve going through the area that would normally be closed. I checked my flow with the #2 jets and it was 1.8 gpm at 550 psi. I then put the #1.5 jets back on and got 1.5 gpm. I wanted to be around 1.5 gpm when in the "lean" mode (fairly clean areas that did not really need tons of water)and full bore (traffic lanes trouble areas) when I needed it. I wanted to be able to switch this while cleaning and with as little time / effort as possible. Here is what I came up with (thanks to Greenies input):

DCP_1842.jpg

This is the valve body opened up with the ball removed.
DCP_1839.jpg

This is how I drilled the .052" (#55 drill bit) hole through the ball.
DCP_1841.jpg

After I drilled the .052" hole all the way through the ball I drilled just the incoming side of the ball out with a .1285" (#30 bit). I did this so there was only one side restricted down to the smaller .052". Then I used the #30 bit to de-burr the .052" hole, and a #25 bit to de-burr the #30 hole. Then I lightly used a very fine file to make sure the surface was smooth enough to not damage the seals inside the valve body.
DCP_1843.jpg

This position would be full throttle.
DCP_1844.jpg

this position would be in conservation or "lean" mode.
DCP_1845.jpg

This is the installed finished product. At 550 psi and 5 number 2 jets it flows 1.5 GPM in the "lean" position, and in the full throttle position it flows 1.8 GPM.
According to General Pump's reference material the smaller hole should only allow 1.5 to 1.6 GPM at 550 psi regardless of flow from the pump.
When I finish building my new Machine the pump will have almost double the flow and the gpm in full throttle should increase but the GPM through the smaller hole should remain at 1.5 GPM.
There was no distortion to the spray patterns although when going through the smaller side the was little to no atomizing of the spray.
I will re-post when I get my new machine up and going and let everyone know how it reacts with the different pump configuration.

Greenie

Sure glad that worked for ya Kevin, I was kinda wonderin' if we were just nuts....lol

There is a time and a place to ration water, now just watch we'll get a dozen request for pre-drilled ball valves on the GH wands. :D

Kevin is one of the most forward thinking guys in the industry, it's amazing the things he's put together, he really keeps me on my toes, I think his new machine will be a site to see.

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
Not to be a smart ass but why?

Couldn't you just keep your back up wand jetted at 1.5 GPM and switch to that when needed?

what I am I missing here?

Tony

KBRENNY

The main purpose of the valve was so that during a clean if I was cleaning an area that required little water / flow I could switch flow rates without going to the truck to switch wands and then when I needed full flow I could switch right back. No need to go to the truck or switch wands, just turn a valve each time.

KBRENNY

Since there is never a fully closed position the valve will never be under full pressure. I hope this will result in a longer life compared to if it was under full pressure when closed.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Kevin;

We've done something similar with a needle valve for lowering pressure at the upholstery tool.

That way you can adjust from full open to restricted flow.

Larry Cobb

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Yes, a needle valve is great for upholstery tools, because your psi is really all about the feel. But, on carpets I can see how a preset postion would be better.

I think it is a great idea.

Steve Smith

Kevin,

When you check for flow (gpm), how many feet of pressure hose do you connect between the tool you are testing and the pressure outlet at the truckmount?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom