Took a gamble on this Facebook post.....

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We do well on the community Facebook groups when people ask for a carpet cleaner recommendation. Our name came up on a recent post and it turns out she used us before, but thought we were a bit pricey.

upload_2017-3-20_10-11-30.png

I'm glad she mentioned that she used other cleaners in the past. I assume they were cheaper, but if she were happy with them, she would have used them again. Either she got what she paid for in the cheap price, or they're out of business. Otherwise, why would she have moved on to us?

I debated whether to let it go, or address it for others that may be reading the post and would possibly shy away from us based on her feedback.

I took the chance and replied.....

upload_2017-3-20_10-12-59.png

It could have back fired, but she had a friendly response.

Is this a risk you would have taken?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Any attorney will tell you that they never ask a question if they don't already know its answer.

With social media, it can be very risky, as its nearly impossible to know how a former customer might respond. In this case, it turned out fairly well, as she added in the end that her income status had changed, and that health issues put them in the place of having to work with a tighter budget.

In the end, only you can determine how effective your pricing strategies are for you, and how you can effectively market the value of what you offer over what other carpet cleaners are offering.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I think you should have responded Meg and your response was very good. Luckily the client's response was friendly and in kind, no doubt influenced by yours.

I disagree with Jim. Yes, lawyers never ask a question they don't know the answer to. But the woman's declaration about Meg's pricing was already there and posted in public. No response at all would have been worse.

Using the same lawyer analogy- the answer was already there, it was Meg's job to frame the right question.

If the client responded in a mean spirit, that would have made Meg look good too.
Good job.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
This is why we run promos for our existing clients in our lighter times. If they can be flexible with when they schedule, they can take advantage of a great discount.

But since our target demographic is not those living on retirement budgets, we understand that we won't always be a fit.

And she didn't have tile and grout cleaning.... 4 rooms, hall and stairs. With dog issues.

Mikey P

Administrator
But since our target demographic is not those living on retirement budgets, we understand that we won't always be a fit.

We feel like we've about maxed out in Scruz for people willing to pay our rates, if we were wanting to expand, we have to either lower prices or start a second division.

"Expert Carpet Cleaning"
Almost as good as those upiddy french guys but 1/2 the cost

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
We feel like we've about maxed out in Scruz for people willing to pay our rates, if we were wanting to expand, we have to either lower prices or start a second division.
A friend of mine in the drain cleaning business did that. Speedy-Rooter and Rescue Rooter. He would hang up with the Customer that thought his prices was too high and the other phone would ring for his other company and he would book the job.
He did very very well. The cheaper one, Rescue Rooter became the big one.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We feel like we've about maxed out in Scruz for people willing to pay our rates

That makes sense. Still plenty to tap into here. That being said, we had a late storm and things are slow going for March, so I just ran a new special. First time we did a clean more save more type of thing, so I'll be interested to see how this type of promo works out.

Maybe Linda will get the email and decide to use us after all.

upload_2017-3-20_13-17-52.png

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Just booked a job with one of our top clients who got the email. Last time the job was $3500 and she booked during the special. Wall to wall wool in her master suite with double dressing rooms. Limestone in the kitchen, pantry and breakfast area. House is 11,700 sq. ft. Everyone likes a good deal!

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I learned a lot about retirement budgets and frivolous spending here in Nevada.

Fixed incomes do not allow for $3 a foot grout cleaning..
So in your experience, how much % less do you need to charge to win these clients?
30 cents a square foot for carpet? 35? I that the going rate in your new area and can you still be at the top of the going rate?

Will it allow you to still do the 12 step poodle show, or necessitate some reasonable shortcuts?
Can you make up some of the slack due to less travel time?

Reactions: PrimaDonna

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had a similar instance where someone asked who to use. Our name came up three times finally the person asking stated they wanted someone cheaper since it was their rental.

The supervisor that saw it told me he didn't comment and I told him not to. We are perceived as the high guy in town (Not Burdick high!:winky:). Being a rental we probably aren't the best choice for the job. We just left it alone.

We did get a commercial Fire loss over 100k that was due to someone asking "who to use?" on Facebook last fall. We didn't comment on that one either.

The owner said after reading so many great replies he wanted to use us. :biggrin:

Reactions: PrimaDonna

hogjowl

Idiot™
I got a call today from a dude asking for a donation. A year or two ago his wife said we were too high in a FB post where others were recommending me.

SamIam

Name
sam miller

"Expert Carpet Cleaning"
Almost as good as those upiddy french guys but 1/2 the cost

Hell I still run a $16.95 coupon on the side!

Reactions: Mikey P

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Is this a risk you would have taken?

I think the "risk"would have been in not responding.

With social media, it can be very risky, as its nearly impossible to know how a former customer might respond. In this case, it turned out fairly well, as she added in the end that her income status had changed, and that health issues put them in the place of having to work with a tighter budget.

Isn't that the truth!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom