Tools to use to clean Granite Countertop

Anyone use the Mini Turbo Hybrid to clean a Granite Counter top? Would that be effective or how else should i apply chemical?

Thanks

Mike

Mikey P

Administrator
Not needed unless its a grouted tile install.

If it's real greasy just spray it down with some regular rubbing alcohol and then go over the whole surface with a new razor blade looking for crud and goo. Then towel dry.

For hard water build up, razor off as much as you can then polish off the rest. Monkey pads and or Magic Al's Hard Water Spot Remover will work great.
Use a low solids stone sealer over the whole surface, Let it swim for 20 to 30 minutes then buff off the excess.
Look into getting some stone wax from Innovative Surface Solutions to help restore dull, lifeless areas as well as adding additional sealing capabilities.

Gary T

A high alk stone cleaner, dwell, a white pad on a Makita or orbital sander. If it is polished, it may not take sealer and you could be in trouble if you do. Let a puddle of water dwell for 20 min, wipe, if it is dark where the water was, you can seal. Not all stone needs or can even be sealed.

David Gelinas

The only thing I’d add to Mikey’s post is that we will actually use marble polishing powder on granite if were dealing with hard water and “use” build up after the razor blade. With polishing powder you get acid to help break down the calcium and a very mild abrasive to get the crud out of the texture of the stone.

David Gelinas
Marbleguy

Gary T said:
A high alk stone cleaner, dwell, a white pad on a Makita or orbital sander. If it is polished, it may not take sealer and you could be in trouble if you do. Let a puddle of water dwell for 20 min, wipe, if it is dark where the water was, you can seal. Not all stone needs or can even be sealed.

Thanks!

Gary T

Mike

There are a ton of places to get pads. I like the 3M, yes they can be more expensive but they tend to last a little longer. For my Makita, I just cut mine to fit my pad driver from the larger pads.

breezeman

Stone Medic makes a great polishing compound for granite, they also carry pads for poliising or you can use #0000 steel wool. Granite consist of mica ,feldspar, and quartz. Some are more dense than others, the inexpensive granite needs to seale espcially if it comes from the big box stores. Marble coumpounds contain alumnium oxide and thats not hard enough for granite.

Deron

Back
Top Bottom