Supportive Member
Name
Doug
so it is a topical coating..the stripper took it off

before, under a chair

20130123_135758.jpg

After

20130123_142042.jpg

out of the laundry room...see the gloss, vs no gloss....finish vs none...
20130123_142100.jpg

Stairs where it had dripped.....gonna take some extra elbow grease here
20130123_142141.jpg

20130123_142857.jpg

going up to it

http://youtu.be/ZZugzwqMn3A

coming down

http://youtu.be/b6AZ4oVUYnY

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
so then...ideas of sqft price for something like this??? price per stair???

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yea thats around wher ei was thinking...i was pushing a $3 price...would you include the polishing in that to??

and sealer before or after polish???

ohhh and stairs..have to be done by hand....not going to be fun....5-10 a stair maybe??

Mikey P

Administrator
talk them out of polishing it.

Travertine does not hold a polish well BUT over them most of them get a shiny look to them from accumulation of foot oils and mop residue.

With a honed finish they can remove most etch marks themselves with rubbing compound, tooth paste or Magic Al's Hard Water Spot Remover.

Use a new Brown Pad with your cleaner after you strip the gunk off and you'll have a nice even appearance.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
wellllll i did it...threw out the number to them...now we will see....

oh and brown pad after the sealer???

Stripping this crap off isnt the issue...though its gonna be a ton of hand work on this....not like my commercial stripping....take the autoscrubbers and propane stripper in ...and I told her as much to...kinda set her up for a higher price..

This will be a job for the cimex, and black pads....wet vac... with the spinner used for the final rinse...

this thing is gonna take 3-5 days i am guessing....mostly because my ass (ok knees and back) are going to be sore after each day....

ohhh and wood floor in the halls and joining liv :hopeless:.......plastic runners with carpet on top is going to be the order of the day....hell half the day if going to be taping off.

open stair ends on 1 set of stairs :hopeless: with wood on the end before the drop off......can you say 2 5 gallon buckets full of towels:eekk:

gonna be a nice payday for a pretty close job....maybe leave the trailer there...i dunno

Last edited:

Kipp

Name
kip
Here's a job I did on travetine

Strip
Polish
Minor repairs
stain seal grout
seal tile

1800 sq/ft

got it...loaded to youtube

[video=youtube_share;JSRIXQC2Cfs]http://youtu.be/JSRIXQC2Cfs[/video]

Last edited:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i am thinking the price put a little scare in her.....

she asked about just sealing:hopeless:

which i told her...only works if the other crap is stripped off......hence "penetrating"...:lol:

so we will see....

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Problem with the soft stuff it is will ware or show ware where hard stuff like marble or granite wont show ware that quickly.

Rob Fairfield

Supportive Member
Name
Rob Fairfield
100% agree Lance. Travertine is the most popular hard surface out there and it keeps the restoration professionals busy. Sealing, filling, cleaning, filling, polishing, filling, etch removing, filling and so on.

The fact is that more and more travertine is being polished. Not so much to a high polish like you would see on marble but more of a satin or patina finish. I believe this is due to the finish out of the box from the factory is very inconsistent. When a home owner sees, lets say, a 600 grit polished piece next to a 400 grit piece, the 400 piece looks dirty or like it has a film or grout haze on it. The 600 piece looks clean and that's what they want. OH, the wonderful world of travertine!

Especially 2000sq. ft in the Glendale AZ. area. Right Lance!

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
Yes Sir! Should be starting that one next week, I will get (hopefully) lots of pics, and video... This one is a mess, and just be a good example... Jasco wet-look sealer. ughhh

Mikey P

Administrator
100% agree Lance. Travertine is the most popular hard surface out there and it keeps the restoration professionals busy. Sealing, filling, cleaning, filling, polishing, filling, etch removing, filling and so on.

The fact is that more and more travertine is being polished. Not so much to a high polish like you would see on marble but more of a satin or patina finish. I believe this is due to the finish out of the box from the factory is very inconsistent. When a home owner sees, lets say, a 600 grit polished piece next to a 400 grit piece, the 400 piece looks dirty or like it has a film or grout haze on it. The 600 piece looks clean and that's what they want. OH, the wonderful world of travertine!

Especially 2000sq. ft in the Glendale AZ. area. Right Lance!

Im seeing most Travertine installed with sanded grout and lippage galore as well..

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
diamonds if needed... Mostly powder, Diamond Renew... I have only used the spynergy pads on a Limestone countertop job... not on floors.View attachment 1344View attachment 1345 A counter top job done pads and powders.

This job had a topical sealer causing spalling. the 1st pic is after stripping, 400 then 800 spynergy. The 2nd is after Powder polishing with Diamond Renew. we filled before we finished with porous pro impregnator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom