Treatments for Urine Stain on Wool Rug?

Chris A

Name
Chris
I'm hesitant to dump Peroxide on it, the spots are old, and fairly light, I've tried pet/urine remover. Any other ideas?

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
There's this awesome site for rug care... it's hub of rug care facilities but no one can tell you where it is or MP will boot us :lol:

Seriously, if it's an old urine mark on wool, chances are it'll never return to 100 %. A weak solution of 3-6% H202 may be worth a shot. But pre test and take care to neutralise well.

Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will be along shortly to help out.

Look for Randy and or the great OZ as a starter.

John

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Is the rug tufted, woven or hand-knotted? If it has adhesive in the construction you'll be limited to acids and enzymes, and maybe a little reducer to knock down the color when you're through. If no adhesive you can soak the urine out.

Chris A

Name
Chris
hand knotted, no wash pit available in my 2 car garage :)

Chris A

Name
Chris
Thanks guys, I was able to remove about 90% with enzymes. I found out customer used resolve on their Hand Made Afghani rug!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Your cleaning limitations actually helped you out. Immersing an Afghan rug will cause it to buckle, a problem that is so difficult to correct you would have had to take to someone else to fix it.

Knock on wood!

Chris A

Name
Chris
Thanks Bryan, I'm attacking this rug learning curve as fast as I can, and I still need some formal training, but until then I have GREAT insurance. (haven't destroyed any rugs yet though.)

The Great Oz said:
Your cleaning limitations actually helped you out. Immersing an Afghan rug will cause it to buckle, a problem that is so difficult to correct you would have had to take to someone else to fix it.

Knock on wood!

Hang dry it.. Have a waiver signed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom