Trouble with Vortex front end allignment?

hogjowl

Idiot™
Seems like I have seen a post in the past referring to problems alligning the front ends of the 2004 Vortex's. I replaced all my tires last February and had the front end alligned, but it started pulling to the right again almost immediately. I started noticing some wear on my right front tire and I'm taking it in to have the tires rotated and the front end alligned again tomorrow.

Is there something unique about the front ends of these UD's that I need to tell my mechanic about?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
My tire does the same thing but mostly because when they make the streets here they grade them to the right for water run off so they like to drift a bit.........(yes it does rain here now and then)...Had it in a few weeks ago to service the transmission's and the UD dealer/mechanic told me that the only way to align these things is they have to bend the frames....when I got home I took a look under the truck and I see no way at all to put any type of adjustment on the tires with out having to bend the frame....

Didn't I send you a UD disk....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I just got in from working all day...I have to grease the truck tomorrow..I will get you a few pic's then

Greenie

Jim Martin said:
... the UD dealer/mechanic told me that the only way to align these things is they have to bend the frames....when I got home I took a look under the truck and I see no way at all to put any type of adjustment on the tires with out having to bend the frame...

What? Are you kidding?

ascrubabove

There isn't any castor / camber adjustment due to the I-beam type front axle, they dont have independent front suspension. At the ends of the I-beam you can see the steer knuckle atatch above and below, flat caps are bolted on to the top and bottom of this knuckle to cover the ends of the king pin and hold grease in, I have changed these many times on delivery trucks when i turned a wrench for a living, its a major PITA. You can check the king pins by jacking the front end up and placeing jack stands evenly spaced under the I-beam so both front tires are about 1 inch off the ground, using a pry bar under the tire apply pressure and release while watching the knuckle joint, if it moves the king pin and bushings are bad and need to be replaced. if the wheel moves and the knuckle doesn't check your wheel bearings.

Back
Top Bottom