Troubleshooting a ar pump

Braden bell

Name
Braden bell
Got no pressure on my ez1633. I've got water to the pump for sure. Fresh tank full. Filter right before the pump is clean and I used it's cap to bleed air out of the line. Any more ideas on troubleshooting. I took the output hose directly off the pump and turned the machine on. No water. Thanks for any suggestions

Mikey P

Administrator
is that one of those EZ that needs to be operated like a German U boat to control your heat?

pics or video of the layout would be helpful Braden

Braden bell

Name
Braden bell
Wouldn't running it with the output hose off the pump rule everything else out. Shouldn't water come out. I'm talking about at the pump.
Yes Mikey. I know how much you like ez. And no just a thermostat knob and one valve

Braden bell

Name
Braden bell
And what do I look for in the unloaded. I took the knob and spring out yesterday and could see the little cap in there. It didn't seem to want to come out

Braden bell

Name
Braden bell
No clutch. Belts turning. Pulleys turning. Waters to it. Just nothing coming out the front of machine or the outlet of pump when hose is off

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What brand pump is it? Not knowing what is, it sure sounds like the pump is shot. What happened? Is this the first use since winter?
Were you extracting water and over heat it? Had it been operating and stopped during use?

Did you call Nick?

Braden bell

Name
Braden bell
It's been sitting since June 12th 2016. The brand is AR. It's was ran dry twice on accident before June which at the time I told the person that forgot to turn the hose on (wife) that she probably cost us a pump in the future
But it was working when parked back in june

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sorry its in the title but I had never heard of that brand "AR".

Considering where you live and it going through winter its likely shot. You could pull it apart to be sure but I think its replacement not rebuild time. The housing could have a hairline crack or metal fatigued after spending money on rebuild parts.

It looks like an inexpensive pump which should help with replacement.

Braden bell

Name
Braden bell
Yah it's a cheaper pump. I figured I'll probably just have to buy one. It was in the garage with a heater so it shouldn't be freeze damage. Wouldn't you think if you took the out hose off the pump and started it water would come out if it was pumping. It's a open hole so there wouldn't be much pressure but something would come out

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Lee Stockwell
The valves are simple, a seat and a spring, that allow flow in ONE direction if they seat properly.

Each piston has an inlet valve that allows water into the cylinder on the first half of the revolution.

Each piston also has an outlet valve that lets pressurized water OUT during the second half of the revolution.

Reactions: dealtimeman

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Yah it's a cheaper pump. I figured I'll probably just have to buy one. It was in the garage with a heater so it shouldn't be freeze damage. Wouldn't you think if you took the out hose off the pump and started it water would come out if it was pumping. It's a open hole so there wouldn't be much pressure but something would come out

I have an AR pump on my pressure washer.

On my pump, I prime the pump and hoses before starting the engine by running water all the way through for a minute and it should free flow through the pump when not running, just like your thinking.

Eliminate the possibility of a blockage in the plumbing.

Blockage would be the first thing to check.

During winter storage, whenever I get a chance, I keep the ignition off and pull the start cord a few times to cycle things to keep them moving, and I can hear the pump pistons cycling, and can hear a burp of air as it cycles.

You might want to try to manually turn the pump pulley and check to see if the outlet puffs any so you can tell if the pistons are cycling or not, you should be able to hear them cycle also.

Still seems like a blockage, because water should flow around the pistons and out if it can get there.

Last edited:

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Check the pick up tube strainer and pump inlet strainer. If clear and water will not flow freely (with a garden hose), drain and examine the oil. If it has water, then running it dry has screwed up the piston seals. If it froze, the ceramic pistons will be cracked or shattered. In both cases the outlet may be plugged and there is no pressure to blow it clear.
Assuming you didn't score up the cylinder walls with ceramic bits, all is repairable with simple tools. Order a rebuild kit and photograph your way in, torque evenly on your way out.

Boils down to finding the obstruction and clearing it. Piece of cake. Good luck!

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Odd that no water at all is getting through.

What's the temp like where you are?

When was the last time below freezing?

Braden bell

Name
Braden bell
Thanks alot guys. You've gave me alot to work with. I'll be dealing with it over the next couple days. I'll post what I figure out

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
If you don't have a fresh water hookup on the machine to pressurize the pump as Lee said, put a open quick connect on the outgoing solution line and attach your vacuum hose to it to pull water through the pump to prime it while it is running.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom