Truth about Vacuums

Farenheit251

Couple years ago I stopped by a vac shop to check out the dyson,sanitaire and conquest. The owner with like 40 years experience sold me on a Royal Commercial. The guy assumed I was a bonnet cleaner and told me the only way to really clean was to rotary then use a truckmount. Seemed pretty knowledgeable. My Royal has great airflow and what seems like a good brush. Thing is, unless there is pet hair I rarely get more than 2 cups of dirt(mostly it is fine dander like what you see clogging your ac filter). I do alot of trashed rentals and 4 cups might be the most I get.
I hear about guys who go into decent homes,Mrs customer says I've already vacced,then they go on to empty their dust cup 3-4 times awing Mrs customer. Now I'd gladly pay top dollar for a vac like that if it really exists. Brian E

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ever try a Bissel Powerforce bagless, Brian?

If not, grab a $50 dollar bill and head to Wal-Mart and pick one up.
They're $46 bucks here.

The Powerforce is better than the Cleanview and $20 cheaper

I think you'll find it lighter and "at least" as effective as your Royal.
And you can ABUSE it in the empties and never have more than a $46 repair bill
(the price of a new one)

..L.T.A.

-JB-

Name
JB
Try the
SEBO x4 .

Features-

1- 92' water lift, (most cleaners get 45-55 in at best, when properly functioning)
2- Made from a plastic that doesn't shrink, unlike most other cleaners, so it wont lose vacuum as it gets older.
3- 5" lay down flat ( fits under beds & dressers w/ease )
4- 40' cord length, w/ quick release
5-Lifetime warranty belt,
6- Brush roll sensor literally sense's brush roll to adjust to the perfect agitation for carpet from commercial all the way to shag. Automatically raises and lowers the machine as needed.
7- Very easy to clean if clogged, rarely if ever clogs.
8- clogs grade filters, no not Hepa, but then again I don't perform operations in clients homes , so I don't see why hepa would be necessary.

We have been using the x4 for three years now with never a problem, we use them 6 mo at a time then resale them to clients with a demo model discount, while they still look nice an new. They work great for us, not the cheapest but if you become friendly with a Sebo distributor he may help you on price, especially if he can sell you a new one every 6 mo. You can pick one up for $599 and resell @ 6 mo for $549. that's $100 a year and you always have a new vacuum.

Works for us.

Scottie

I agree, Sebo all the way. I have been using one now for three years and I find it to be top quality. Yes, it is CRI certified. The amount of material I pick up always amazes me. :D :D

Greenie

I'd have to run it side by side with the Bissel, I'm amazed what those vacs pick up, just did the LV/Dn room on thur, darn near filled the cup, where does it all hide?

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I have the Dyson and Bissell. Both work darn well. I prefer the Dyson because it doesn't get the stinky vacuum syndrom. When you fire it up there's no smell. The Bissell on the other hand makes me want to puke when I start it. Too much maintenance to keep it fresh IMO.

G

I have to agree with Larry above. (MEAT)

I clean a few offices.. and I use their vacs.. and they have cheaper vacs.. and maintain them.

I find them as well. if not better.. than my Hoover Conquest..

They're some sucking machines. lol

SO in the end.. a well maintained vac... and empty bag or cup.. will yield good results.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Hey Dirk,

Agree with you on the Bissel smell. Strange thing was mine seemed to have that strange smell right from the get go. Noticed it the first time I turned it on, before I started vacuuming.

Never understood if the smell was the actual machine or what?

Jim

The Preacher

I like the Powr Flite PF61 commercial lite. they have a new PF62 dual fan model out now i'm gonna try. those little vacs pick up some soil and hair and do a nice job of pile lifting.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
You're right about the filters Mikey. They seem to need constant cleaning though and it drives me nuts. The smell never seems to go completely away. That's why I like the Dyson.....low maintenance.

That's also why I recommend it to Mrs Piff. Sure the low end vacs can work great, but they require more maintenance than I believe most homeowners will do. The Dyson can be neglected for quite a while before needing to do a thing to it.

Greenie

rinse the bissel filters in some cheap odor masking deodorizer.

I don't even "dust" them off, just wash em in the sink and squeeze them dry with a paper towel they fully dry in minutes, or do the deo rinse and let it air dry, it helps.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Dyson is an over rated, over priced plastic vac with mediocre performance.

The best thing about Dysons, are their marketing.

The Bissel Cleanview and CV Revolution do have PITA filter issues.

The Powerforce baggless and PF Turbo are much less troublesome and easier to clean.

as Greenie mentioned, simply rinse the foam filter and give it a shot of deo/sanitizer

..L.T.A.

-JB-

Name
JB
Eddie,
Yes, the Sebo price is steep, but remember what we all stress day in and day out, you get what you pay for. I know it's hard to remember that given where many of us started, but it's none the less true.

GRHeacock

A big local vacuum store here that carries at least a dozen brands of vac machines always recommends- (and sells I am sure) more of the Royals.

I think however, that they get more commission from them instead of these machines being better.

That is only an opinion though. I have never been impressed with the Royal myself.

For my money, the turbine vac connected to the Truck Mount is best for total soil removal.

Next to that, the Hoover bagless I liked for an electric. That impressed me more than the Conquest.

Gary

G

I agree Larry..
I think the local sales reps.. make it off of Royal.

they push that at the local shop.(and then send me lots of refs)..

I like the looks and durability of the Royal commercial.. but like Mikey said about another vac.. I don't think the bristles reach down into the fibers .. hardly at all.

besides that .. great little machine..

but its all suck.. no agitation preceding it. lol

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
while both the Dyson and aforementioned Bissel models have at least 1 foam filter each (which makes cleaning it a breeze and is less $$ to replace -vs- paper filters), the Dyson is NOT user friendly when it comes to REAL maintenance. you can't change either the belt or the brush roll on a Dyson...talk with a vac repairman, alot of them can't do it either, no joke.

besides that big fact, i prefer my dyson.

just bought a Lindhaus Activa and it's not working correctly, shipping it back for repair / replacement. these Lindhaus' have 5,000 RPM - seems the way to go for CGD. the suction is no where near the Dyson or Bissel, but that high of an rpm and the design of the brush-roll creates a wind-tunnel effect. woulda bought the larger "commercial grade" Lindhaus, but the Mrs's does the pre-vac'ing and needs a lighter unit.

thanx --- Derek.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
no :( think i seen one of Peter Kahl's stock at a reptile show in the mid '90s down in Pennsylvania. back then they were around $6k a piece...give or take a few grand if memory serves. no idea what the going prices are now, no doubt a lot less.

that stark white contrast is killer! couldn't believe it was real when they 1st were advertised back then :shock: otherwise, Ball Py's are very boring to look at. the "mutant" type herp's are the coolest i think :!:

thanx --- Derek.

royalblue

I have a Royal 18" sitting in my shed. Haven't used it for about 8 years. Sure it has great airflow, but the pick-up directly into the turbine is an archaic design. I used to use the hospital grade filter bags. The way they just push onto the plastic snorkel in the cloth bag is a joke. Not a positive seal and if I let the bag get a little too full, it would sometimes blow off, filling the cloth bag and air with choking dust! :(

I also got a couple of (now redundant) Nilfisk GU350 upright vacs. (They are made by Lindhaus). Work quite well, but a bit top heavy and not that user friendly. I found a number of bits breaking with normal use, and the bags cost a fortune!.

I have used Turbocat turbine units on my t/m. Quite good, but running a t/m to vac is not too economical.

I have used Dyson vacs for a few years now. :D No bags to buy, and parts are very cheap. Yeah they are a bit plasticky, but if you look after them, they serve you very well. Good filtration and no smell is one of the best things! The DC04 Constantmax that many Oz techs use are very easy to change brushrolls or belts without tools and in a matter of seconds.

Ash.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom