types of marble

Name
Jason
Hola amigos~ I was trolling through adwords and found some types of marble that I don't think I've worked on.

Can anybody explain what these are or what makes them different:

tumbled marble

white marble

calacatta marble

crema marfil marble

botticino marble

oxyx marble

Thanks in advance~

Name
cameron demille
Hola amigos~ I was trolling through adwords and found some types of marble that I don't think I've worked on.

Can anybody explain what these are or what makes them different:

tumbled marble

Any marble that has been put in a tumbler. Travertine that has been tumbled will have open holes. The edges are rounder and the surface is slightly rough. They do this for a more antiqued finish, typically on backsplashes and shower surfaces

white marble

White marble typically refers to traditional Italian or Greek Marblle, such as Thassos, Calacutta, Carrara, Bianco Venito, etc. Ther are true geological marbles. They are crystalline in structure, porous, scratch easy and are notorious for stun marks. Stun marks are white lines that appear to be scratches, but are fine fractures in the surface that often do not come out, no matter how much you grind.

calacatta marble

see above

crema marfil marble

Crema Marfil is a compact limestone. It is one of the most consisten and easiest to finish marbles. It is referred to as a marble, which is fine. It acts more like a marble than it does a limestone. It is very dense (won't absorb nearly anything) but very soft (will scratch ). Dense and hard are not the same thing, but often confused. Its easy to repair, easy to match the color, easy to polish, etc. This is the base stone for almost all training exercises in stone refinishing.

botticino marble
Bottocino is as common as Crema Marfil. There are 3 types. Bottocino Classico, Bottocino Fiorito, and Bottocino ?? ( I can never remember the name). Classico is the devil. It can look identical to Crema Marfil. I grew up in this business and sometimes I can't tell. It is a compact limestone like Crema Marfil, but burns as soon as you touch it with polishing powder. It has white cloudy looking areas in it, these are the problem areas. This stone is best treated by going very high with diamond, up to 1800-3500 grit, then using a crystallizer, or 11,000 grit monkey pad. I have lucked out occasionally and achieved great results with 5x, but it is a very finicky stone.

oxyx marble

Onyx marble is extremely soft, but extremely dense, and extremely sensitive. It will etch by sweating on it, scratch by running a dirty finger over it, but will not stain. It's expensive, easy to work with, but can be tricky to get a perfect finish without leaving swirls.

Thanks in advance~

let me know if there is anything else. This is a very brief overview. I can get carried away with details. If you need examples or whatever I can dig up some pics.

Back
Top Bottom