Ultra sound therapy.....Help!

Fred Homan

I need help. Where can a person buy one of those Ultra sound therapy things that are use with a gel for message therapy? I sort of recall seeing one that that a normal person can buy for a reasonable price. Help! I dislocated my left shoulder. It is in a sling right now. It would be nice to have it heal ASAP

Fred

Bob Foster

There are several low output high frequency therapeutic ultrasounds on the market but they are phony gimmicks. The real ones used by physical therapists, chiropractors and athletic therapists are FDA registered therapeutic devices that can legally only be sold to one of these licensed practitioners.

A real 1 or 3 Mhz ultrasound in untrained hands is a dangerous device. It is quite easy to damage tissue with an ultrasound.

I suggest you see a physical therapist who will, after a proper assessment and maybe some treatments, recommend to you safe and effective things you can do to treat yourself if you tell them that is your intention.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
The real ones used by physical therapists, chiropractors and athletic therapists are FDA registered therapeutic devices that can legally only be sold to one of these licensed practitioners.

Not true, actually. For instance, they're available from MassageWarehouse.com

A real 1 or 3 Mhz ultrasound in untrained hands is a dangerous device. It is quite easy to damage tissue with an ultrasound.

True.

I suggest you see a physical therapist who will, after a proper assessment and maybe some treatments, recommend to you safe and effective things you can do to treat yourself if you tell them that is your intention.

Absolutely. If you have a dislocated shoulder, the first thing is to get it back in place. And delaying it can actually make the process worse, as your muscles "adjust" to being out of place, makes it more difficult to overcome.

If you have the idea that a heat source of some kind will "fix" a dislocation, you're sadly mistaken. And if you think that spending $1,100 and up for an ultrasonic is less expensive, think again. Because, you'll simply be spending that amount in addition to whatever you spend at a "real" therapist.

And besides, time is money. You'll get back into the swing of things much faster if you see a therapist. As Bob said, a physical therapist would be a good choice. But so would an Osteopath (sort of like a chiropractor, but with a medical degree, a.k.a., "DO"), or a massage therapist trained in Neuro Muscular Therapy ("NMT")

Bob Foster

Dwayne maybe in Area 51 that might be the case but I can tell you I spent the first half of my working life selling EXACTLY these therapeutic devices. The device is a FDA controlled device and it is against the law to sell one to anyone but an approved practitioner AND its dangerous to use one without training.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Hey, Bob:

I'm not disagreeing regarding not using one if you don't know what you're doing with it.

But you really can buy them from MassageWarehouse.com

It's not "Area 51" on the sly type stuff. They're perhaps, "The" supplier to massage therapists, in terms of size and recognition.

I haven't bought one from them. But I do buy other things there. So, the first thing I did was look to see if they're there, and "Yes", they are. I haven't been trained in Ultrasonics and haven't considered the area. It's not my main source of income. (Massage is a sideline. I went to school for it in the late 1990's)

When I set up my account with MW, they didn't ask me for a certificate. Maybe it's changed since then. But it sure looks like I can get one from there if I want it, by picking up the phone. There's not a word anywhere in their info about having to be trained in their use first.

But then, lots of things used to be "prescription- only", and aren't any more.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
It's sporadic. Not much now.

(It's a side- interest for me. Some people like football, I like things that go bump in the night...;o)

Sports massage would be a good choice as well, of course.

When I went to school, we did Swedish, Sports and NMT. The sports came from Russian sports and was mainly "proprioreceptive neuromuscular facilitation".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom