Upholstery - what is this?

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
This lady called today, used another company and spent something along the lines of 1,000$ to have them clean and then use MicroSeal to protect their couch. I guess their designer recommended this company as they only do high end. The owner of the cleaning company said these spots on her couch are just water spots. She can't get rid of them, the guy then told her they would fade away. I'm not sure the products used to clean by this company are. She wants us to attempt to remove them. If these were there when the MicroSeal was applied, is it possible to remove them?

She said the couch was brand new basically, but when he cleaned and applied the MicroSeal these water spot looking things appeared all over.

IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Look terrible. Hard to say but could be where they spilled product. The technician assumed it would dry evenly and leave no spot. However too much product couldn't without leaving a residue spot.

Solvent should break it down. Spot it on the dry side (VDS) first and see if their is improvement.

Reactions: J Scott W and WillS

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
It maybe from the MicroSeal product you mean? She had Stanley Steemer out there yesterday and they told her it needed to be dry cleaned only... but they also told her, her shag synthetic rug could only be dry cleaned to. So who knows wtf. She lives in a very high end zip code so maybe they were afraid. I already told her we could do a test spot, but it may have already been damaged.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes, from the protection product.

Stanley is playing it safe. Anything but Standard care Herculon needs "Dry Cleaning". Its a safe but however it doesn't clean well.

Doubtful it would do any good at correcting this.

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
IMG_3490.JPG
Is it just the spots in the pink circles that are a concern? I'm sure it's just the light, but the pic makes it look like there is major texture distortion at the black arrows. Is there something wrong with the area with the black arrows?

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
So she can tell her friends in this golf community where the houses are no less than 4 million a piece that we are the BOMB.

We are definitely cleaning that rug for her, which she said was also MicroSeal'd by this high end cleaner. Mike suggested using the velvet brush on this with some distilled water first. It is pretty awkward how they didn't brush all the fibers the same way. Even with microfiber easy to clean couches we brush all the fibers the same way to dry even.

This high end cleaner told her that she should only clean spots/spills with Vinegar and Water. I'm wondering if that is from her attempting to clean with it.

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Marty is right. The foul deed of the other cleaner will fall on your shoulders once you touch it.

Can you tell me if it's a natural fiber?

If you look at the piece from the opposite angle, does the dark area look light and the light area look dark?

Give me your number if you'd like me to call

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I would let her know it is damaged but you think you can improve it. Take the Ottoman back to your office or garage and work on it there. No pressure for time and you'll get to see the results after it dries.

Sapphire tool and some grooming should make easy work of it. Should. :winky:

Reactions: Shorty

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I would let her know it is damaged but you think you can improve it. Take the Ottoman back to your office or garage and work on it there. No pressure for time and you'll get to see the results after it dries.

Sapphire tool and some grooming should make easy work of it. Should. :winky:

Yes do it off site by all means.

Do you own a steamer?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Ya I was thinking the protector was applied and the guy doing it touched the spot causing a reverse nap or pooling efffct.

He should of groomed it all one direction. Oh well!

The question is do you need to clean the protector out to fix it?

Mikey P

Administrator
Yes do it off site by all means.

Do you own a steamer?

I told Will this:

• Have her sign a disclaimer
  • Fill a steamer with distilled water
  • and place the effected piece upside down, use two chairs, work from underneath to avoid drips.
  • use a brass velvet brush to groom the steamed areas in the correct "lay"
  • Remind her that she signed a disclaimer.
  • thank Pemberton for teaching me.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Mikey P

Administrator
Ya I was thinking the protector was applied and the guy doing it touched the spot causing a reverse nap or pooling efffct.

He should of groomed it all one direction. Oh well!

The question is do you need to clean the protector out to fix it?

I was surprised to see the crap groom job Mr Mircroseal did.

I met him at the last Vegas show.

Reactions: SamIam

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Keep the steam condensate cleared periodically to avoid spitting. Don't get too close to the fabric.

Track marks from a jiffy steamer head are nearly impossible to remove. I've taken a cushion cover to the dry cleaners to use the steam press and get live steam to even out tracks. But I would do everything in your power not to have to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
It maybe from the MicroSeal product you mean? She had Stanley Steemer out there yesterday and they told her it needed to be dry cleaned only... but they also told her, her shag synthetic rug could only be dry cleaned to. So who knows wtf. She lives in a very high end zip code so maybe they were afraid. I already told her we could do a test spot, but it may have already been damaged.

If you were a Stanley tech with 6 months experience what would you say?

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Nate W.
20170117_101913.jpg

I think we had the same designer, or customer.. Ours was velvet with many water ring spots, drips ect...... We took a cushion back to our shop while picking up the rug for cleaning.. We advised the care taker that it'd be a difficult pieces to clean.. My mom is a YES person and I know she can clean it, but I rather not take such a job...

We couldn't get some stains out of the cushion, then we were told they'd like to have the 3 couches vacuumed really well.. We they sit on the couches, sand comes out.. That particular beach the house is located at has very fine sand.. I'd feel bad charging $1k just to vacuum the pieces... The rug was also loaded with sand, rubbish, and we found Jimmy Hoffa as well...

We said we can clean the couches but a lot of the stains would still be there.. Pieces were there when the house was bought, about 7 years old.. It's just a vacation house for the owner..

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
And while we're at it: Would someone please explain (or at least name it :winky:) to me what exactly goes in the brain of people who buy these kind of upholstery.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
They listen to designers. I had a customer who was about to re carpet her home and was asking me for advice. I tried to steer to a high quality, stain resist nylon cut pile carpet in a neutral tone as she had three kids, a husband, a cat and a dog. She ended going with medium grade nylon that was snow white. For the first 2 years, I was their every couple of months, either spot cleaning or cleaning the traffic areas.

Name
Nate W.
x2... We ask if they're looking for a practical house that they will be using or one that is only for show but not to be lived on.... Sisal rugs, denim upholstery, things that can't even be cleaned sold to eeejots at outrageous prices.... Then they get mad at us for telling them they bought sh!t that's not practical or cleanable... Keep in mind clean-ability when designing or plan on disposable furnishings......

Idk @Ofer Kolton them uppity-yuppity's like to buy stuff....but don't like to be sold....

"A fool and there money are soon parted"

Reactions: ruff and SamIam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom