Urine smell coming from grout lines???

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
A customer called and related she had just moved into a house where the previous owners had allowed a dog to pee on the ceramic/porcelain tile floor. She had cleaned the floor with several different products was and still smelling an odor. I suggested to her to check the corners where the animal might have peed and the urine soaked into the baseboards and drywall She insists the smell is in the middle of the floor too.

I'm thinking of mixing up Petzone with Hydrocide and spray over the area, let it sit for 10 minutes and then extract/clean. Do you guys have any other ideas and have you ran into this problem before? Am I correct in that the urine has probably soaked into the grout but probably not harmed the tiles themselves?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
That would be my guess. I wonder if color seal seals things from getting in, if it would help with the odor? if nothing else worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
If all else fails why don't you just use a 25% solution of chlorine bleach. It's just tile. ( keep it away from the carpet of course. You said you suspected the corners.)

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I have dealt with it numerous times. Most times, it not a big deal - saturate with the Petzone, 15 minutes dwell, rinse really well. I have had 2 times that I could remove the odor, no matter what I put on it - pets were kept in the laundry room. They must have urinated repeatedly. The urine must have soaked into the sub floor. Bleach fixed it for a few days, but the odor would come back.

I haven't tried color sealing to seal in the odor.

Rob Fairfield

Supportive Member
Name
Rob Fairfield
I have dealt with it numerous times. Most times, it not a big deal - saturate with the Petzone, 15 minutes dwell, rinse really well. I have had 2 times that I could remove the odor, no matter what I put on it - pets were kept in the laundry room. They must have urinated repeatedly. The urine must have soaked into the sub floor. Bleach fixed it for a few days, but the odor would come back.

I haven't tried color sealing to seal in the odor.

If that was what Sam was asking I misunderstood. Color seals, at least the ones I'm familiar with allow the grout to breath. They won't trap the smell in any way.

Reactions: SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
odor barrier from cti is for cement or wood subfloors not for tile and pourous grout. Ya I doubt color seal would work I know the grout perfesct has a mildewcide built in, and keeps urine from penetrating in the first place.

I would saturate with enzall let soak and clean, petzone or osr would probably be fine too.

ted mcfadden

Supportive Member
Name
Ted McFadden
If that was what Sam was asking I misunderstood. Color seals, at least the ones I'm familiar with allow the grout to breath. They won't trap the smell in any way.

Usually the smell is worse when the grout gets wet. A color sealer will definitely prevent that. It is hard to say if it would help an ongoing odor problem though on dry grout.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I did one on a rental unit where we poured very hot OSR dwelling for an hour and taped up the baseboards ...extracted/rinsed...left fans and came back 2 days later to colorseal...we use Kilz to seal tack, jute, concrete, etc for urine, so I figured it colorsealer would work the same on grout, could be wrong but that was 2 years ago and haven't heard anything back, so I'm assuming all is well

Back
Top Bottom