Using Benefect Decon 30 on wool area rugs

Name
Jeff T
Has anyone tried this? I’ve looked on their website, and it says nothing about wool. It’s does however, say the PH of the product is 4-5. I’ve got 2 large area rugs I picked up from a restoration company that need to be cleaned. Problem is, they are REALLY rank with cat pee. I need to figure out what to do quickly, as I have a total of 17 rugs I have to run and return early next week. 14 of them came from the resto company. Ideas?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The Decon 30 can help reduce contamination by killing some of the micro-organisms. This will also reduce the odor, at least for a while.

To really get rid of the odor, you need to remove the urine! Treat with Bridgepoint's Wool Medic. Then flush. You can use Decon 30 at this stage if you want, but you will need to flush it out to avoid resoiling issues. A final treatment with Hydrocide or similar is a better option.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
For urine, Scott has given you the answer you need.

If the rugs were contaminated by conventional water damage (not water than has been run through the urinary system of felines or canines, to be clear), this study might be helpful:

https://aura.antioch.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1078&context=etds

Thymol, Benefect's primary ingredient, proved both effective and caused less damage to the wool fibers than some commonly used alternatives.

Reactions: J Scott W
Name
Jeff T
The rugs in question were from a catagory 1 flood. They also happen to be the cats bathroom I suspect. I put one onto soak overnight, and dumped a full bottle of Decon 30 in the water. I then used my Cimex with the brushes to agitate. I’m in the process of extraction right now.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I use decon 30 but not for urine removal, I normally soak rugs in 1:5 mix of acid rinse. Then scrub, rinse and rinse. Maybe decon 30 at the end to "legally" say its been decontaminated

Name
Jeff T
I’ve got another project in the works right now. The rug pit takes up WAY to much space in my shop. When I’ve got rugs that need to sit in solution overnight, I’m building this...and using this concrete vibrator to agitate...
B1BB53A6-B7E2-4B6E-8916-1044F91FF310.jpeg
EA70C9BB-F02B-4EA1-8210-D2367D79B34B.png

Reactions: Hack Attack

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
For flushing out urine and saving space, you should look at Joe Robert's Marinator. I was impressed when I saw it in action last week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom