Vac motors

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
In parallel, directly connected to the manifold, which is connected to the waste tank, without the use of any hoses, using 2 inch plumbing.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It really all depends on how you are going to use your machine. I prefer parallel, I have 2-5.7 inch 3 stage vacs, that take 13.5 amps each that give me the opposite of what Larry's machine does. I have aprox 11 inches hg and 220 cfm. This enables me to use up to 150 ft of 2 inch vacuum hose with great performance. When you go in series, you get great suction but no increase in air flow. That's great for a machine that you don't plan to put more than 35 ft of 1 1/2 inch hose on. You always need a balance of inches of lift and cfm to get your best performance. There are several manufacturers that make machines in parallel such as Mytee, Ninja Warrior, Nautilus (which can be adjusted between series and parallel). Always best to try before you buy and make sure you try the configuration with both 1 1/2 and 2 inch hose. The plumbing or the machine makes a big difference. The more interior hoses and elbows there are, the more potential for turbulence and air leaks. 2 inch internal plumbing is always better, even if you are using 1 1/2 inch hose. The best machines will have the vacuums mounted flush to the waste tank or a manifold without any internal hoses.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Lee;

We have testing graphs from both of the large vac motor manufacturers for our industry.

We also have done testing on wet carpet with 25' 1.5" vac hose and 12" CMP wand,

with 1% digital gauge for lift at the vacuum-carpet interface for: VacGauge.jpg

1. Dual 3-stage vacs in parallel http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=4725

2. Dual 3-stage vacs in series http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=4725

3. Four 2-stage (series/parallel) 250 air watt vac motors

4. Dual 6.6" Lamb vacs in series http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=5085

The Dual 6.6" extractor has the most airflow, airwatts, & performed the best in our testing on the wet carpet.

Engineering requires proper testing . . .

Last edited:

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
How can I change my portable from series to parallel? Do they make some kind of Y to do this?

Also where can I get the devise that tells you when you have the electric cords on separate circuits? ( I would like to add this to my current portable)

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
CFM is king in real world carpet cleaning.

That is absolutely correct . . .

but the amount of LIFT is what generates CFM thru the wand head.

More lift at the wand generates more CFM.

P. S. Jesse;
If you have 13 amp 3-stage vacs, they are fairly close in series or parallel.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
That is absolutely correct . . .

but the amount of LIFT is what generates CFM thru the wand head.

More lift at the wand generates more CFM.

P. S. Jesse;
If you have 13 amp 3-stage vacs, they are fairly close in series or parallel.
That's not quite true Larry. Putting vacs in series increases lift but airflow stays the same. In parallel, the lift stays the same but the airflow is increased. As long as you have enough lift with the one vac (136 inches water lift or so) adding the second vac in parallel will really increase performance. You need to have 2 inch plumbing or else all that airflow is wasted. Even on a 25 ft hose it will be noticeable

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Yes, They are 3-stage vacs.

Could I get better dry times if I use a 2" hose? ( I never go over 25' from the machine)

If you go parallel and 2-inch Plumbing as cleanworks suggested you can go 50ft from machine and have to move it less and more water will be removed with proper wand technique. Embrace CFM over Hg..

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I just need to find a way to re plumb the vac hoses ( need some type of Y ).
Most guys make their own. I have seen some made with pvc pipe glued together, I have had one fabricated from aluminum or you can do as Papa John suggests and run 2 standpipes into the waste tank. You will require 2 ball shut off filters as well. Putting them through a manifold may give you a slight increase in suction and reduction in amperage. Example 2-vac motors attached to a box with a 2 inch opening. You will have 3-4 inches opening going in but only 2 inches coming out. Puts a little restriction on the vac motors which normally lowers the amperage a little.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom