GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Been 2 years.......

I searched before posting EVIL Fred ..

What the scoop on these crazy things?

Do they really hold at 14 plus.......

Think will they help maintain motor life for PTO machines ?

Anyone have one laying around I can play with.....

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Greenie hype . . . We tried the expensive Kunkle valves with poor results.

Vac levels depended on physical orientation.

We like these brass vac relief valves with a delrin bearing for longer life than the "name brands".
(and they go higher than 12" hg.)

vacrel.jpg

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=3656

Reactions: Pioneer Floorcare

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Name
Lee Stockwell
The valve Larry posted is a foot valve. Available at good plumbing supply places. Works well.

The Kunkle works better with a vented inlet that dampens the shock of cycling.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
The valve Larry posted is a foot valve. Available at good plumbing supply places. Works well.

Not to get too technical here but that is a common 1 1/2" Check valve.
A Foot valve would have an attached filter screen element.
Just in case someone wants to go purchase one and make their own but
you will need a stronger spring than comes in a standard check valve.
Larry adds a heavier spring and a delrin bearing so the shaft is not wearing against brass.

Reactions: Larry Cobb
Name
Lee Stockwell
Not to get too technical here but that is a common 1 1/2" Check valve.
A Foot valve would have an attached filter screen element.
Just in case someone wants to go purchase one and make their own but
you will need a stronger spring than comes in a standard check valve.
Larry adds a heavier spring and a delrin bearing so the shaft is not wearing against brass.
You are correct Kevin, I knew better when I posted that. Similar function, though the foot valve (usually used on a shallow well inlet) is typically the choice for a vacuum relief due to the (perceived) protection of its screen.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
We normally run @ 2800 RPM on our TM's.

We are about to introduce a new concept TM . . .

with even higher lift levels.

Our tanks can handle 20" hg.
That's hard to believe a 2 cylinder engine won't bog down with a load that high at only 2800rpm

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The higher the lift, the more strain on the motor, belts, pulleys and other related components. Not saying it can't be done but why would you? Most modern truckmounts with a 25hp motor and 45 blower or larger running at 14 inches hg will dry down carpets quite adequately even with 300 ft. hose runs. There are even more powerful truckmounts available for those who want to dual wand or run excessive lengths of hose. They do an excellent job at 14 inches because they also have huge airflow. Running with 20 inches hg just seems to be making it more difficult for the carpet cleaner. Never mind the wands, what guys using rotary tools. More stress on them too.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
@Larry Cobb, how would I attache this to a roots 36 blower with a 2 1/2" input and output.
I mounted a stainless floor flange and nipple over the hole on the tank lid where the old relief valve was and screwed Larry's onto that. Works very well.

Mrice

Name
Mat
To properly protect a blower a relief should be plumbed into the air stream "Before " the blower filter.
that's how I understood it, it seems the some guys just put them on their waist tank.

Name
Lee Stockwell
The problem with installing them in the waste tank, or anywhere BEFORE the blower filter, is that IF that filter ever gets completely loaded the blower will then have NO relief protection.

I've seen those filters really plugged.

Prochem puts them right at the blower.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The blower's filter will end up warping to get air if it's fully clogged. It'll be an interesting lesson learned

FredC

Village Idiot
You meant "AFTER" right?

to protect the blower if the filter gets clogged the relief should be between the blower filter and the blower

so when speaking of it in terms of airflow direction "before" is correct in Lee's post

FredC

Village Idiot
Example: On this prochem legend you can see the relief is directly on the inlet side of the blower....the blower is protected from clogs anywhere else in the system

blower.jpg

Many, if not most, are not done this way but it is still the most correct way to do it as it provides the most protection to the blower

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Lee is right in saying if the blower filter gets fully clogged, there is no vac relief protection for the blower. At the same time, looking at the common configuration above, if a piece ever comes apart on the vac relief it will destroy your blower. I prefer to have the vac relief on my waste tank and I clean my filter regularly. I was looking at several truck mounts that came up for auction a few years ago from a company that went out of business. On 1 machine, the pre filter lint basket was clean but the blower filter appeared never to have been cleaned and had collapsed in on it self.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Actually it would be close to impossible on a prochem.. Just a bolt and a washer.. Unless you think the head of that big ass bolt is going to snap off at 15hg..
14822899018712004683686.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom