Vacuum Boosters

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I am interested in hearing your responses to a question regarding inline vacuum boosters.

If you use an inline vacuum booster to increase the vacuum of your extractor, whether it be a portable or a Truckmount, is that vacuum booster operating parallel, or in series, with the other vacuum device(s) within that system?

Please also briefly give your reason for your response.

Thank you

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Mikey P said:
Did Ed Valentine really invent the inline vac booster?

Yes and he held a patent on it. :shock: Speak to his Terjeness about how Ed helped him.....

Greenie

I don't even think it's debatable.

If you have one vac sucking on the top of the box, and a second sucking on the side of the box from a hose from another vacuum source, then you have two vacs sucking on the same box from two ports, ie: double the cfm potential...that is the definition of Air Parallel.

In order for it to be series, you have to suck THROUGH one vacuum's exhaust into the Intake of the second vacuum, this gives more Lift but the CFM remains the same as one vac.

And I did have one old dude tell me he hooked two portys up INLINE to do a commercial job some 40 years ago, ran 150' of vac hose and a garden hose feed with monster jets, he was cleaning with high flow too....so who invented what?

Brett

Which Mytee vac booster do you run with the M5, the 2 stage or the Hi performance 3 stage?

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
The reason I posted this here was KH, over on ***, went into a "several posts" explanation why vacuum boosters are in series with the main vacuum source of an extractor, and they add only lift, and do NOT add any CFM to the mix. This was after I corrected him in his original post where he said vacuum boosters were in series, and I said they were parallel.

Can you believe this guy?

Yes, Ed Valentine originated the vacuum booster, but Gene Bates built one of the first truckmounts too (also an originator), but there are other TM's out there which are improvements on originally designed truckmounts, just as there are other vacuum boosters out there.

In that same thread, Ed V corrected me and said his vacuum booster would work either parallel, or in series. It would work in series, if the intake of it was connected to the exhaust of the main vacuum(s) in the extraction system, but why would you do that, when the booster will generate more CFM, and lift, closer to the wand.

I know, IDGAS either, but it looks as if KH is business as usual. ...lol

Todd Anthony

Bob Savage said:
The reason I posted this here was KH, over on ***, went into a "several posts" explanation why vacuum boosters are in series with the main vacuum source of an extractor, and they add only lift, and do NOT add any CFM to the mix. This was after I corrected him in his original post where he said vacuum boosters were in series, and I said they were parallel.

Yes, Ed Valentine originated the vacuum booster, but Gene Bates built one of the first truckmounts too (also an originator), but there are other TM's out there which are improvements on originally designed truckmounts, just as there are other vacuum boosters out there.

In that same thread, Ed V corrected me and said his vacuum booster would work either parallel, or in series. It would work in series, if the intake of it was connected to the exhaust of the main vacuum(s) in the extraction system, but why would you do that, when the booster will generate more CFM, and lift, closer to the wand.

From reading all of the boards it seems to me that Ed Valentine is a VERY defensive person who take things to series and will not except the fact that people have made improvements in this industry and he is not the only one .

that is the impression I get of him .

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Bob Savage said:
If you use an inline vacuum booster to increase the vacuum of your extractor, whether it be a portable or a Truckmount, is that vacuum booster operating parallel, or in series, with the other vacuum device(s) within that system?

Please also briefly give your reason for your response.

Thank you

Yes we do use them.
Yes they are is series.

Our main reason is to allow longer hose runs with portable machines although we have used on a Spitfire to give it a noticeable increase in performance.
As you are aware Bob, we also use an inline pump-out to achieve longer vac hose runs
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285 ... umpout.jpg

roro

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Hey Bob, I tried to email you not sure if I have the right one. I was involved in the discussion over there as well, and Ken disagreed with me as well. I asked Mytee to elaborate, and posted their answer over there. Since you broght it up here, I will repost Mytees answer here (you were right, imagine that...)

I thought I would post a follow up to the discussion earlier in the thread where we were discussing the Mytee booster. Since we had some difference of opinion on the subject, I thought I would go straight to the source, since I hate to unintentionally give out incorrect information. Anyway, here is the question I posed on Mytees forum:

We're having a friendly discussion on one of the carpet boards about your 7502 booster. One person says that when installed in the line per your instructions the booster is air-parallel with the extractor, another person says it is in air-series. As the designer can you set us straight as to which is correct? Also, does the booster so installed primarily increase CFM or lift? Thanks!

Dan

Oh, and can I have permission to cut and paste your answer so we can all benefit? Thanks.

Here is their reply:

Dan

This is a very good question feel free to cut and paste away!

The booster when installed in-line is in air parrallel. The air flow runs underneath the vac motor itself and not through it. Therefore it is not quite in air series but, I could see how someone could interpret it that way. Also the Booster was primarily designed to boost air flow by 100 CFM. Feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Thanks
Brett McClain
Mytee Products

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Bob Savage said:

Uh oh- I just bought a Titan to go along with my other Turbo Tech stuff. :wink: Every once in a while you'll hear a popping sound- it's ken pulling his head out of his ass.

I operated an old Big Red Bob. When it ran, it was a good unit, but real finicky.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Titan Optima 500 Electric TM(500 cfm) 4- 3 Stg Vacs $3,900.00
Titan Optima 500 Electric TM(500 cfm) 4- 3 Stg Vacs
Click to enlarge

The Titan Optima is a product whose time has come.In these days of constantly rising fuel prices, there was a need for sensible electrically powered machines that don't cost much in operating costs or initial purchase price. We have made that machine. With our 30 years experience in building electric TMs, combined with the latest modern componets, we are able to deliver an electrically powered machine that can do what most of the gas powered machines can do, but do it on the power from 3 electric cords(110 volt machine), not $6+/gallon gas!By taking a modern roto-molded shell, and increaseing the vacuum power of the vacuum system, you get both great power output and increased capacity.Other large machine shells can be utilized in building your Titan machine on request. That can save you $500 or more/month on gas, which is like saving a TM payment!

In these days of escalading gas prices, the day is coming for many cleaners when the use of expensive, gas devouring TMs will not make much sense for much longer.

The Optima is much more than a Truckmount when it is installed in your van; it is also the most powerful portable machine you can buy as well. You can take it out of the van and take it where normal TMs just can not go, and have all the cleaning power you need.Now you only need one machine to do the job of what before would take 2.The 500 cfm airflow from the vacuum system, combined with the 137"WL(10"HG) is strong enough to easily power 200 ft of hoses.

The Optima is flexable in its power requirements. You can operate it on a combination of one 20 amp service and 2 15 Amp circuits(on 110 volt power).Those operating it as a 230 volt machine require only 2 cords to plug into..

The Superglide Wand (included) cuts your wanding effort by up to 80% and can dry carpets in as little as 30 to 60 minutes! The right machine for the times. Order yours today!

Here are just a few advantages an Electric TM that can be used as a high powered portable can do for you:

# Lower Operating Costs: Customer's electricity vs. high priced gas
# Lower Equipment Costs: Less up front investment
# Less Down Time: Truck mount goes down - possible days down time and high costs. Portable goes down - usually quick fixes (don't need to be a mechanic) and lower costs.
# Easier Storage: Portables can be brought in a home for storage in cold winter nights.
# Maneuverability: Think about 3rd floor apartments
# Avoid Policies: Ever run into "Closed Door Policies" ?? Banks, restaurants, and many commercial establishments must have the doors closed and locked after hours.
# Waste Water: Many communities have ordinances against dumping waste water. Many truck mount owners must drive to a local dump. Portables usually empty into the toilet.
# Customer Convenience: Customer's door is not open to the elements (rain, cold, heat) with a portable.

The Strongest 110 Volt Electric TM sold in the world! Introductory Pricing now in effect this month.

Titan Optima 220/16-110V Super Electric Truck Mount:

* 4- 3 stage high velocity vacuum motors in parallel
* Triple 50'12/3 UL power cables(runs on 3 -110 volt circuits)
* 140 lbs(20"X30"X48" in size)
* Hour meter, Vacuum guage and Pressure Guage meters
* 10" stair climbing wheels
* 5" Heavy Duty Casters
* Integrated molded hinges and handles
* Quick change motors
* Durable poly-molded housings
* 11 gallon tanks - autofill & pumpout included
* 460 total cfm output from vac motors
* Superslide Dual jet SS Wand & Glide/ 50' vac(2") & solution hose is included.
* Available in 230 Volt for World Markets
* 1 year warrantee included

Adio37

I was thinking of building my own booster box for my porty, can anybody help with some basic plans?

rick imby

Name
Rick
Adio37 said:
I was thinking of building my own booster box for my porty, can anybody help with some basic plans?

Just buy the Mytee. It is simple, clean well built and for the price of 3 or four jobs it is paid for.

Greenie

That is a fair statement, starting at $599, you aren't gona wanna build one for much less, and hope it works, and surely won't be as professional looking and lightweight with wheels and coolcuffs.

Name
Lee Stockwell
To answer his question about how a booster is made:

Think of it as a small wet vac with a high cfm motor, and similar plumbing except for one addition.

That addition is a pipe into the side of the wet vac's tank that goes almost to the bottom of the tank (.5" to 1") to suck up incoming water and pull it back out ot the booster to the primary waste tank on your truck or portable.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Lee Stockwell said:
To answer his question about how a booster is made:

Think of it as a small wet vac with a high cfm motor, and similar plumbing except for one addition.

That addition is a pipe into the side of the wet vac's tank that goes almost to the bottom of the tank (.5" to 1") to suck up incoming water and pull it back out ot the booster to the primary waste tank on your truck or portable.

A good shop vacuum could easily be adapted, I hadn't thought of that. Call it the Broke Dick super booster..

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
rick imby said:
A good shop vacuum could easily be adapted, I hadn't thought of that. Call it the Broke Dick super booster..

One caveat though, you would have to at least come close to the lift capacity of the extractor with the shop vac. If its too weak, you could end up pulling air backwards through the booster vac and end up with poorer performance than without it.

Greenie

Rick and Lee, you guys are missing some important details.

I'm not gonna waste a bunch of time on it, but don't mislead some newbie into thinking he can whip up a useable booster with a $49 shop vac and some plumbing fittings. It's just wrong.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Of course. I just explained the concept using something that would be easy to visualize. I did mention that it would take a vac motor special for the application.

Plumbing would also have to be sized and arranged to minimize resistance and turbulance.

I know you need to sell stuff, sorry to interfere.

Thanks,
Lee

Adio37

Cheers Lee, that was what I'd figured but I had never seen one operating. Don't worry I'll be sticking twin 1100w Amtek vacs on it, along with the plumbing parts :p.

Prices down in Oz are a little steeper than you get up North, a booster here will set you back $1200 plus. The cost of something like a Mytee would get you a TM up North.

Thanks again. :)

Greenie

Lee feel free to kiss my ass. There are a dozen distributors here that are more likely to make a booster sale than I am, and in fact if you had a local mytee dealer you would be nuts not to buy from him as you could actually TRY IT before you slapped down your money.

Everyone watches their money, but there is a time to recognize a purchase may just be money and time saved sometimes.

You may return to your shop vac experiment now.

Adio, Build your twin vac booster cause you want to, (I admire that) not because you think you have to, that way when you pull water and foam through them and cook em' you won't feel so bad as you figure out just what wasn't quite right, it's all just a fun experiment at that point.

rick imby

Name
Rick
So what happens if the booster overpowers the extractor. Will New Zealand get their own version of Old Faithful?

R

Rafa L

HEy Adam,
TRy your idea along with Stockwell and experiment in your garage. Keep working at it until you stumble upon a great design. That's how great inventions and opportunities arise.

AS some suggested as well, it's sometimes better to go ahead and buy and save your time. But remember this, how did these same people make millions and took you to their bank? Answer - They took an idea already invented and resold it for much more money.

Go ahead, I dare you to try in your garage.

MikeyPinhead.......the Nickobooster I'll past along.....that's another good idea.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
rick imby said:
Will New Zealand get their own version of Old Faithful?

For the geographically challenged
Oz=Australia. This big island is about the size of the USA and is located to the northwest of NZ. It takes about three hours by plane or three days by ship to travel between the two countries. :D

roro

rick imby

Name
Rick
roro said:
rick imby said:
Will New Zealand get their own version of Old Faithful?

For the geographically challenged
Oz=Australia. This big island is about the size of the USA and is located to the northwest of NZ. It takes about three hours by plane or three days by ship to travel between the two countries. :D

roro

Ya Ya Ya, New Zealand, Australia just upside down people that don't want to speak the real American English anyway. Maybe we should send Mikey down to Australia to break the Nickobooster in and he can try some Vegemite.. Deadly Stuff originally made to use up old Vegetable products no one would eat. Then the Men from down under thought it was tough to like the stuff and it caught on... I haven't tasted Cra* but vegemite seems to be close.

Sorry I didn't mean to defame New Zealand and associate you all with Australia.

Adio37

Thank you all, for pointing out that I have overpowered my concept of a booster. Don't write off vegemite, if your your used to it's saltiness, it does wonders for a hangover.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Just what I need for a hangover, something to make me throw up. I would feel better after a while though

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom