Vacuuming Soft/Smartstrand carpets

Mikey P

Administrator
New customer today had a nice think 4 yo Smart Strand, she returned 3 WallyMart vacuums before she special ordered this Riccar Oreck knock off. IT too was un push-able until they sent her that metal bridge to lift the head out of the pile a bit. I tried it and was shocked at how hard it still was to maneuver.

I told her I'd have to go get my Kirby w/ it's adjustable pile setting, fully suspecting that my Oreck would be the same.

Low and behold it wasn't too difficult, which surprised me as many thick piles can be a bitch to push it.

Their $6.00 bag was beyond full too.

After trying the Oreck I think she's going to get one.

What are you all finding that is usable on these new ultra soft piles?

20171106_113003.jpg
20171106_112444.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GeeeAus

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
My proteam does pretty good on it. Since the motor isn’t on the head, it seems to be very friendly.

Can someone give the pig something to play with. He’s whining again

Reactions: KevinL and Nomad74

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Pro team. I would try the new shark I bought that everyone raves about, but it broke after two months of using it at home.
Are you telling us that the Mikeysboard special vacuum wasn't any good? I thought that bagless plastic trophy was gonna be a soccer mom magnet. Darn! Oh well...back to my ugly, loud, vibrating Royal

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The most HEPA vacuum you can buy when used with a truckmount. Turbocat model TP210.
allegro_central_vacuum_air_turbine_black_turbocat_powerhead_zas031_bk_1166.jpg

No problem with any kind of carpet, but a vac relief is mandatory to keep from over-spinning it and melting the bearing housings. Will last longer than most small electric vacuums, costs around $125 with tubing, takes up very little room in the truck.

PS: Do not buy this model! It will Zoom into the garbage.
turbocat_zoom_central_vacuum_powerhead_sapphire_blue_zas032_bl_2449.jpg

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Matt Ross
What model of Shark did you have?
A new lift off duoclean one. It was over $250. The swivel where the body meets the head was little plastic bushings and cheap bearing things. Too much plastic. The head was too small to support the body. It cleaned very very well for a residential vacuum. Until it broke.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
The most HEPA vacuum you can buy when used with a truckmount. Turbocat model TP210.
allegro_central_vacuum_air_turbine_black_turbocat_powerhead_zas031_bk_1166.jpg

No problem with any kind of carpet, but a vac relief is mandatory to keep from over-spinning it and melting the bearing housings. Will last longer than most small electric vacuums, costs around $125 with tubing, takes up very little room in the truck.

PS: Do not buy this model! It will Zoom into the garbage.
turbocat_zoom_central_vacuum_powerhead_sapphire_blue_zas032_bl_2449.jpg
TOM is going to see this and get all excited.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Bryan,
Do you use a dust downer when using that vac?
Is it worth the expense and wear of running the van just for vacuuming?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Short and sweet. Thanks. Now lets see what Bryan says.

Vacuuming upholstery (I do all the time) I would not be worried about damaging the blower. With the volume and how dusty some carpets are, I would. And I doubt the filter will block enough of the particles. Never tried it though.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Bryan,
Do you use a dust downer when using that vac?
Is it worth the expense and wear of running the van just for vacuuming?
No dust downer.

There's no question that there will be some slight additional wear on the unit. We have experienced no issues with truck or unit component failure, so that hasn't been an issue.

If you look at using the truck to vacuum in the simplest way of direct cost it makes little sense. A truck mount is an expensive vacuum system to run. The thing we can market is that every particle of anything that comes out of a rug or piece of furniture goes directly to the truck. No possibility of dander/dust/odors blowing into the work site from the last job. The tech explains to the customer why we use this style of vacuum and it becomes another small but thoughtful difference maker in separating us from everyone else.

I know a meticulous owner operator will do well with a standard vac (you're already beyond most of your competition) but for us using a heavy-duty electric vacuum would mean it rarely left the truck, and a light duty one would require a full-time vacuum repairman on staff.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
No dust downer.

There's no question that there will be some slight additional wear on the unit. We have experienced no issues with truck or unit component failure, so that hasn't been an issue.

If you look at using the truck to vacuum in the simplest way of direct cost it makes little sense. A truck mount is an expensive vacuum system to run. The thing we can market is that every particle of anything that comes out of a rug or piece of furniture goes directly to the truck. No possibility of dander/dust/odors blowing into the work site from the last job. The tech explains to the customer why we use this style of vacuum and it becomes another small but thoughtful difference maker in separating us from everyone else.

I know a meticulous owner operator will do well with a standard vac (you're already beyond most of your competition) but for us using a heavy-duty electric vacuum would mean it rarely left the truck, and a light duty one would require a full-time vacuum repairman on staff.

Bryan can you go into detail on what steps, tools and chems your techs use. Please.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom