VCT tile.....Help me!!!

TimP

Ok I know I've been harassing everyone about VCT. I kinda got an idea as to what equipment to get in a previous post. However the problem I have is I've got some jobs that I've been suckered into doing. I have 3 jobs. The first one is 3,000 sq ft. I might be able to push them back a few days if I'm lucky.

Now the problem is I have no idea how to strip and wax floors. I need a crash course. What to do what to look for etc. Is there anyone close to the panhandle in florida that would be willing to let me come help them for some training. I'm willing to drive etc. Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks!!!

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Tim,

Dont panic!!!!!!!!! Give me a call 352-567-5855...I will walk you through the procudures...

You can also call me from the job-site / if you run into a PROBLEM..

TimP

It wasn't my idea to do it so soon. I don't know if I'll do it or not cause I don't like to do crappy work. I like to learn to do it right first. That's why I want to find some training. I may have to turn it down if I think I'm gettin in over my head.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Tim,

If you have NO experiance with VCT.......you sure as hell don't want to jump on 3000 sq ft.
It is the worst paying job in the flooring industry........I was charging .35 a sq ft 15 years
ago & it wasn't worth it then!!!!! If you have the contracts locked-up???? sub them out &
take 10% for the OJT... Check at the local Hospital & ask for the name of the company's
that does their floors...If they use a janitor?? leave your card & ask that he call you?
Offer him cash to help you with the job after hours/Pay him double per hour what he is making
at the hospital....you supply materials & your labor....THEN PICK HIS BRAIN!!!!!!!!

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I made a training video for just that subject. It will get you through that job or one ten times that big. It sells for $49 and stars me <g>

I agree with the above post 3K is a large job to start/learn on but hell you got to start somewhere. Figure you can strip about a hundred sf an hour with regular production equipment and about five times that when you're really good at it and the floor cooperates.

Now do the math and find out if you're in over your head.

At the very least go rent the best of the best equipment from your local supplier and you'll have a leg up. Now when you go asking around for someone that does floors you are going to find all levels of experience just like the carpet biz. If I were you and couldn't find someone to help me I would drive around at night and find a guy that is doing a floor (that way you can see if he is doing the kind of job you want to learn to do) and ask him if he will either teach you for a fee or do this job and let you watch.

BTW if you buy from Superior in Orem Utah, he carries my videos too.

Ken Raddon.

ACD

1 Clear Floor as best possible.
2 Thoroughly sweep, dust mop, and edge vacuum the floor.
3 Inspect for gum, paint, stickers, tape, and any other "additions" scrape up with a razor.
4 Mix stripper at it's strongest recommended mixture and put in a 1 qt spray bottle with a Viton Seal equipped sprayer. (Regular sprayers will work awhile but stripper will kill em quick). Work your way around the perimeter of the room spraying 10 ft ahead of you at a time, allowing stripper to dissolve finish, then scrape up with a razor. Collect semi-emulsified finish (cat-squeeze as we affectionately call it) in a plastic bowl as you go along. Wipe stripped edge with wet cloth as you go. Make sure you come out from the edge 6" or better to allow the floor machine to stay off the edge. Allow even more room in corners as the floor machine can't spin round pad intosquare corners
5 Apply stripper (mixed according to directions of the Mfg.) to a reasonable section of flooring. Let it dwell a few minutes, scrub with a floor machine with a black pad or stripper brush. On heavy buildup the brushes are far more effective and last a long time. On highly worn, scuffed, and abused tile with little finish left on it, black pads I have found are more effective. I use an inexpensive plastic ring that goes around the base of my floor machine to eliminate splatter.
6 Mop or vacuum up stripper. Using an old wet vac and squeegee wand will save you tons of mop bucket water changing. Do rinse mop it immediately as you vac though. At no time ever let the floor dry with anything other than rinse water or finish on it. Letting stripper dry means you will strip again.
7 Inspect floor. If a razor scrape shows there still to be finish on the floor repeat steps 5-6. It is not 100% necessary to remove every scrap of old finish providing said finish is clear and not discolored but I would try to remove it all if you can.
8 When floor is completely stripped mop it out one more time with a neutralizer (acid) to avoid negative chemical problems with the new finish. Dry floor thoroughly.
9 "Cut In" your edges with an finish applicator or a sponge mop works good to. Then use a finish mop to apply over the rest of the area. Dry thoroughly between coats and repeat. I have found 3 coats to be the minimum on light duty buildings, and 5 or better on sever duty floors. Hi-speed burnishing (1500+rpm) after 24 hours can both harden and improve the shine of the finish.

That's a start. Keep in mind I am drinking.

Aaron

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yea yea. amd I was one of the ones you was givin the most shit to... :x now looky what happened to ya :oops:

there are many variables to this....you havent told us the places that you want/have to do...

for sure what equipment you have..

give me a call if ya want and i can fill in the blanks...remember you are 2 hrs ahead of me, and latly bed time has been 7 am...(strip jobs for me)....humm i gotta get up tom for a job at noon.....sooooo call me around 2pm your time, and ill chat with ya..

801-898-6210
Doug

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ohhh and BTW you can make money doing it...

i had an acct that I serviced, and when it was time to strip it was at $.12 and i was still clearing over $100 an hr....so dont tell me it cant be done...

no i wouldnt recommend 95% of jobs at that price

TimP

I'm now told it's new VCT and it's only to wax it. I haven't talked with the customer so I get 3rd party information.

So I need an applicator and some wax. Do I need to seal it first? I've heard of that before.

I've put minwax polyurethane on some wood floors I refinished before.....I'm guesing this is the same type deal except the wax dries quicker in this application?

And it would be best to burnish the floor the next day? I'll probably be looking at maintaining it so I'll probably want to find a reasonably priced burnisher, but I'll wait on buying that till I figure out what the customers expectations are.

I believe this place is some sort of store, gas station or something. They will be moving shelving back in on it after I'm done. There is supposedly 3 locations (including this one) probably all this size or close. Not to mention I have about 2-3 more customers waiting on me to get set up for strip/wax.

TimP

floorguy said:
ohhh and BTW you can make money doing it...

i had an acct that I serviced, and when it was time to strip it was at $.12 and i was still clearing over $100 an hr....so dont tell me it cant be done...

no i wouldnt recommend 95% of jobs at that price

I don't listen to Marty when it comes to making money. I'll be happy clearning 40+ an hour after materials, gas and all. I have an pretty open schedule and 40 an hour sounds really good to me compared to sitting on my ass.

ACD

TimP said:
I'm now told it's new VCT and it's only to wax it. I haven't talked with the customer so I get 3rd party information.

So I need an applicator and some wax. Do I need to seal it first? I've heard of that before.

I've put minwax polyurethane on some wood floors I refinished before.....I'm guesing this is the same type deal except the wax dries quicker in this application?

And it would be best to burnish the floor the next day? I'll probably be looking at maintaining it so I'll probably want to find a reasonably priced burnisher, but I'll wait on buying that till I figure out what the customers expectations are.

I believe this place is some sort of store, gas station or something. They will be moving shelving back in on it after I'm done. There is supposedly 3 locations (including this one) probably all this size or close. Not to mention I have about 2-3 more customers waiting on me to get set up for strip/wax.

Tim new VCT still has a crappy finish on it from the factory to protect it. It should still be lightly stripped to prep for the new wax. Use a no- rinse stripper (still rinse it!) but you won't need to neutralize it. Plus there will be glue and paint and all kinds of other remodeling carnage that you will need to scrape up. Most new finishes do not require sealer. I haven't used a sealer in 10 years or better. Get something good with 20% or better solids content and apply multiple coats. Several this coats are better than a couple thick ones. I like to alternate the direction I lay the wax in between coats of finish. Mop short wall to short wall one time then long wall to long wall the next.. Makes for a better end result. Make sure wax dries thoroughly before recoating. It is best to wait 24 hours before burnishing. Otherwise finish is very soft and easily marred rather than polished. It can be done sooner but that requires a burnish compound and a real soft pad on the burnisher. I average $50-$60 per man hour on floor jobs plus the cost of the finish. .35 per sq is where I am at for new VCT. Good luck!

Aaron

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Tim,
You just got some great info. from a couple of Pro's..... 3000 sf of new tile you can
handle...Especially it being new construction & wide open area!!!!!!!!

The only concern I have is it's NEW. Any problem's that may arise /You will own it...
Make sure the floor has been down a minimum of 7 days."adhesive must cure."

Try to find out who manufactered the tile??? Azrock/Tarkett,Dal tile,ect............
They all SPEC. their different products! Always use that stripper & wax "CYA"

3 to 5 thiiiiinnnn coats of wax will be fine....ALWAYS remember the PREP work is
everything , For that high gloss SHINE. It is just like painting a car? I don't
care how good the Painter is / if the Body work wasn't done right it going look like
SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH********TTTTTT.

ps .35 cents is about all they will pay in Fl. for initial wax application! GOOD LUCK...

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Stripping Vinyl Composition Tile (VCT)

1)Assess areas to be stripped. Designate any blend lines. Protect areas not to be serviced that day.
2) Remove as many obstacles from area as possible and do a detailed job dust mopping. Make certain that there is nothing on the floor or in the area that can be damaged by water. *Remove dust mop from service area.
3)Mask items that may be damaged :Wooden trim, Carpet, finished areas not to be stripped. Place wet floor signs & work in progress signs at entrances to areas to be serviced.
4) Mix stripper as per label – adjust as needed.
5) Apply a very liberal amount of mixed solution to the floor. It is best to make certain that you coat the edges very heavily because chances are the floor was not maintained properly and there is going to be a build up on the edges.
6) Allow stripper to dwell for at least 10 minutes – DO NOT LET STRIPPER DRY TO THE FLOOR. If you should need to add more solution at any time that is fine, often it works just as well if you add clear water..
7) Now that you’ve given it at least 10 minutes dwell time go back and move around the solution that is on the floor with your “Stripper Mop”; again paying extra attention to the edges. By this time your floor should becoming much LESS slippery. If that’s the case than your strip job should go well.
8) At this point in time, if this is not a floor that has been maintained properly, you will probably need to detail your edges. This is done best by using a 48” Unger Scraper and a Doodle-Bug. Do not gouge the tiles. Holding the scrapper just at the right angle makes all the difference in the world. Pay Special attention to uneven areas & “high spots” in the tile.
With your shoulder to the shelf/wall place the scrapper on the floor with the screw heads face down. Now with just enough pressure to slightly bend the handle begin pushing. If you are doing it correctly should be able to make one long continuous pass down the entire edge. Continue to work the area until it is clean. Pay special attention to doorways, door jams and thresholds.

9) Now that you have worked it in, it is time to scrub the floor. Take care not to run over any cords, including the one on your machine. Use your machine and pad of choice but most of the time the more aggressive you can get with either one the better. Slowly, methodically and thoroughly scrub the floor. If you are working along shelves or walls you will find it better, if you are using a swing/slow machine, to work the solution in a counter clockwise direction. By doing that you will be “pulling” the solution away from the shelves/walls and reducing the chances of having to deal with “Runs” later.
10)Now that you think you have scrubbed the floor clean reach down and scratch the floor like you were scratching your back – are there any white boogers under you nails? If there aren’t then the floor is clean and ready to be picked up, if there is then you need to keep working that area.
11) REMEMBER: At no point can your floor dry up, keep it wet at all times
12) Now it is time to pick up your stripper slurry. First run your edges with a handheld squeegee by going down one side and back up the other holding the squeegee at 45 degrees to the shelf/wall. At that point pick up the balance with your wet vac. MAKE SURE nothing is allowed to dry to the floor before you can rinse it (for larger areas, squeegee the slurry to a central location, then retrieve with the wet vac & squeegee). As the slurry is picked up the area will be rescrubbed with clear water & then retrieved in a similar manner.
13) Liberally re-wet the entire floor with clear water. Retrieve the water with the squeegee & wet vac. This should be a fast paced process.
14) Now rinse mop the area. Do this with a damp, blended looped end mop (blue mop head) & acid neutralizer or neutral cleaner as prescribed by the lead tech.. *If acid neutralizer is used, re-mop the floor with neutral cleaner & place fans to aid drying.
When rinsing it is normally best to start on the edges and then do the middle. Make sure that there is NOTHING left on the floor. Any liquid at all on the floor should only be water; the best way to mess up a strip job is to do a poor job rinsing the floor.
15) Allow the floor to dry completely before recoating it. Mask the base boards/cove base with painters tape while waiting for everything to dry.
16) With a rayon finish mop (white & blue mop head) apply your first coat of finish lightly & evenly in a North & South pattern. Take care to not miss spots or leave drip, puddles or mop strings. Work in small areas taking care not to paint yourself into a corner. *If the finish appears milky on the floor it is too heavy. Ring your mop out harder.
17) Once the finish is cured enough to buff (30-45 minutes) buff the floor. Dust mop thoroughly.
18)Repeat step 15 & 16 alternating the direction you lay the finish from North & South to East & West until 4 coats of finish have been applied. Buff the 4th coat twice. Dust mop.
19) Remove all equipment from the facility.
20)Remove all tape & masking. Replace any furniture or other items removed from the area. Do not drag anything across the floor.
21)Consult with customer if present. Address any issues at that time.
22) Close facility in accordance with customer directives.

Packing List:

Dust mop
Buffer
Stripping pads
Wet vacuum with squeegee attatchment
3-4 Mop-buckets and wringers
Mop-handle with mop-head for stripping solution
Mop-handle with rinse mop-head
Mop-handle with finish mop-head
Doodlebug & Pads
Floor stripper
Floor finish
Squeegee
Scraper & Blades
Tape & Drop Cloths
Burnisher
Air Movers/fans

By the way since this is a new install, be sure to razor any adhesive off the face of the tiles & you ccan probably substitute neutral cleaner for stripper & green pads for black pads. Rinse well & you'll be fine.

Spartan I-shine is a good product to use, Betco Hybrid & Betco Best are good as well but they are harder to strip when the time comes... Avoid sealer like the friggen plague for the same reason.

Fon Johnson

Tim, you have wide array of advice above, most of which covers your scenario. PLEASE give me a call if you wish before you jump in. There is just too much to cover here. And YES you can make money. The real money is not in strips or scrubs (although you can make money on therm.) Depending on the situation it could be some good easy money, or a nightmare. You do need to strip the mill finish off first. You do not HAVE to, but it will make for a nicer end result and prevent peeling and flaking due to a lack of adhesion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom