volume vs high prices

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
thats true but they also end up running all over town for many $200 tickets where they had to pressure the upsells, and the customer who was planning on spending 89 bucks isnt always thrilled.

We more aim for the carpet + stone + grout/shower repair + window washing tickets all same location.. $1800+ usually. Traffic is really bad here so you cant really bounce all over the place doing short stops for smaller tickets
Bundle service the way to go. Thats what i want to do more. Do you offer lower price if they purchase bundle services?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
thats true but they also end up running all over town for many $200 tickets where they had to pressure the upsells, and the customer who was planning on spending 89 bucks isnt always thrilled.

We more aim for the carpet + stone + grout/shower repair + window washing tickets all same location.. $1800+ usually. Traffic is really bad here so you cant really bounce all over the place doing short stops for smaller tickets
Oh Yeah, I forgot you're in Seattle. The traffic is very similar to Atlanta also, so I know what you're talking about. The $89 description that I talked about is a decent business plan for an area similar to mine with a better economy, due to the traffic not really being a problem. Another thing about Seattle is just the cost of living. I think if I ever moved to your area, I'd have to have a solid contract that paid big or I wouldn't be in this business.

More power to you for doing those $1800 jobs! You're doing it the right way, and don't let anyone tell you different.

Reactions: Jimmy L

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
Oh Yeah, I forgot you're in Seattle. The traffic is very similar to Atlanta also, so I know what you're talking about. The $89 description that I talked about is a decent business plan for an area similar to mine with a better economy, due to the traffic not really being a problem. Another thing about Seattle is just the cost of living. I think if I ever moved to your area, I'd have to have a solid contract that paid big or I wouldn't be in this business.

More power to you for doing those $1800 jobs! You're doing it the right way, and don't let anyone tell you different.

The housing market here is great for business but omg the traffic is getting worse and worse. Unfortunately one big problem is there are sooo many townhomes everywhere, all full of carpet but we have yet to figure out a cost effective way of servicing them. They have no access for a truck really, the shared driveways are tiny only a stupid prius can fit.. and low overhangs. Encaping them sucks because they have 2-3 flights of stairs, theres no way we are lugging a portable into those things.

If we could figure out a small vehicle and some sort of decent system for servicing those people there is a ton of business to be had, these arent cheap customers either a lot of these townhouses are $900k+ and they are willing to pay... its just such a pain in the ass to deal with their access lol

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The housing market here is great for business but omg the traffic is getting worse and worse. Unfortunately one big problem is there are sooo many townhomes everywhere, all full of carpet but we have yet to figure out a cost effective way of servicing them. They have no access for a truck really, the shared driveways are tiny only a stupid prius can fit.. and low overhangs. Encaping them sucks because they have 2-3 flights of stairs, theres no way we are lugging a portable into those things.

If we could figure out a small vehicle and some sort of decent system for servicing those people there is a ton of business to be had, these arent cheap customers either a lot of these townhouses are $900k+ and they are willing to pay... its just such a pain in the ass to deal with their access lol
Ford transit connect, high pressure pump, propane heater, solution tank or hose connection, running off a small 2000 watt generator. Powerful, lightweight aluminum vacuum tank on wheels, 2-power cords that run off the house power. You can run all the pressure hose you want. Your 2-3stage vacuum system will allow you to run up to 100 feet of hose, so you don't have to bring the vacuum tank up the stairs.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
I have an ETM sitting in the garage, and still running hoses into these units is a pain. Encap is really the best option but encapping stairs sucks

Reactions: Cleanworks

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
This not a handyman thread
Why are you posting on it
I had to play handyman today when I busted my HF.

78A75876-1B65-4597-AECC-909932F969E9.jpeg

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
in res??
dayum....
I'm sure it's the "most profitable" option for you
But sure ain't the best option for the res custy

..LT.A.

it is when they live in a 4 story townhome with no parking within 4 blocks, yes definitely the only profitable option

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
it is when they live in a 4 story townhome with no parking within 4 blocks,

being a "handyman" an'all, my thinking revolves around selling them a driveway and garage.......

seriously, where do the homeowners park?
surely anyone that can afford such, has a couple vehicles to park .

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Why are you posting on it

cause encRapping res carpet makes me feel dirty inside and out .
we had a older folks 7 story building we did .
PITA parking and set-up , hauling hoses up the side of building to go thru the window

got lazy on a lot of them, cause a rotary, bucket o bonnets, juice and sprayer be can wheeled to elevator in one trip.
and the job is done in a 1/3 of the time

I still bare the scars of my shame

Beeoch

..L.T.A.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
being a "handyman" an'all, my thinking revolves around selling them a driveway and garage.......

seriously, where do the homeowners park?
surely anyone that can afford such, has a couple vehicles to park .

..L.T.A.
They really can only own 1 car, and it needs to be small to make the turn into the shared driveway. These people are buying a plot of land that is literally 25ftx25ft, then has 4 stories of cheap building materials which probably gets done for $50k and they pay $1,000,000 for it. Theres no room to sell them a driveway lol, you could fit another unit in that space if it was there lol

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
Km

You won't find me pushing my Cimex or sprayborg 4 blocks, then hauling it up 4 flights of stairs any time soon. Some jobs just can't be done, at least economically wise.

Thats the funny part, the developers dont care they already laughed all the way to the bank when they sold the units. We get calls for window washing bids on them, and the windows are 100% impossible to service unless you repel from the roof. So I tell them that and they ask "how will I ever get my windows washed" all I can tell them is you should ask your builder that question.

50ft off the ground and their neighbors unit is 5ft away, you cant even get those windows with any kind of a pole system.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
They really can only own 1 car, and it needs to be small to make the turn into the shared driveway. These people are buying a plot of land that is literally 25ftx25ft, then has 4 stories of cheap building materials which probably gets done for $50k and they pay $1,000,000 for it. Theres no room to sell them a driveway lol, you could fit another unit in that space if it was there lol

I thought N.C. was the only state with idiot builders. We have a new subdivision where you can't clean carpet from the street because the road would be blocked. The back garage driveway is literally 3 feet long before you're in the garage. No way would I live in a house where my neighbors can hear me fart because the houses are 4 feet apart.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I thought N.C. was the only state with idiot builders. We have a new subdivision where you can't clean carpet from the street because the road would be blocked. The back garage driveway is literally 3 feet long before you're in the garage. No way would I live in a house where my neighbors can hear me fart because the houses are 4 feet apart.
And the smell is intolerable.

Reactions: Jim Williams

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Thats the funny part, the developers dont care they already laughed all the way to the bank when they sold the units. We get calls for window washing bids on them, and the windows are 100% impossible to service unless you repel from the roof. So I tell them that and they ask "how will I ever get my windows washed" all I can tell them is you should ask your builder that question.

50ft off the ground and their neighbors unit is 5ft away, you cant even get those windows with any kind of a pole system.
I turned down a $200 job a few months ago because of lack of parking. When she asked me how she was going to get her carpets cleaned, I told her to call the mayor who in his great wisdom removed the parking from the lane because now it is a bike lane.

Reactions: Nomad74

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
the funny thing is these neighbors when you do get sucked into servicing a townhome, they are ALWAYS in such a bad mood...

I would be too if my heart rate got up to 180 just bringing my groceries inside from the car climbing so many stairs after walking 4 blocks from wherever they found parking

Reactions: Jim Williams

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
its the middle income earners in my market who are the hardest to service, they've got a mortgage and stressing to cover it so watch every penny (they want there pound of flesh and someone elses too)

Lower income just dont care who arrives as long as they get there bond/deposit back (I think of them as promiscuous customers, as long as your cheap they're keen)

Upper market dont mind handing over $1k for 4hrs work as long as you deliver perceived value and professionalism.. and they are loyal
If I had the population base I know who I would focus purely on

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom