Washing white walls - smokers & grease- TSP + will Peroxide help?

Discussion in 'the CleAn Room' started by ruff, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Mama Fen
    Mama Fen

Name:
    Amy Barnes
    Because sometimes Nature really does have the answer, heh.

Lipase, amylase, and protease can cut through plant-oil residues very quickly without damaging paint, gypsum board, or any other building materials. Plus, laying it down with a foaming sprayer will keep the enzyme in contact with the surface and really lower the scrubbing time. You can even get those aggravating mini-blinds clean with little to no effort just by soaking them in a hot enzyme "bath" for an hour or so, then rinsing.

If I'm going after a soot-dense dry fire like electrical, I'm not going to bother with enzymes because there's nothing there for them to break down. But when there's an oil or grease element, like tobacco or cooking fires, enzymes can help break down those oils and make the job go faster. Plus, they're so much nicer to work with than ammonia...!
  2. Blue-Collar Hero
    Blue-Collar Hero

Name:
    Rich
    My experience with enzymes is they work too slow.

Time is money and if it impedes production by taking longer I'm looking for a faster solution. I can't wait on mother nature or mother fookers either. :winky:
  3. Tom Forsythe
    Tom Forsythe

We make various wall washes at both neutral and higher alkaline pH. However, we use a blend on non-ionic surfactants (degreasing) and a cationic hydrotope which draws and holds fine particulates such as soot into the cleaning solution. I have been told that is the key to Renovate as well.
    Blue-Collar Hero likes this.
  4. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    Lye is the ingredient
  5. Tom Forsythe
    Tom Forsythe

Lye works, but lye (caustic soda) cannot differentiate between oils and skin. ( I heard of a someone who got lye in their shoe and needed several skin grafts to repair the damage in case anyone wants to handle at full strength). Even at 1% in a formula, it is considered a hazardous corrosive material. We only use it in two formulas as over time we have replaced with surfactants and other alkaline ingredients. An oil plate test compared lye to lye and .5% surfactant. The surfactant multiplies the surface area that emulsifies and removes the oils spreading from 1/8 inch (lye alone) to 1 inch (lye and surfactant). Lye is good, but lye with a small amount of surfactant is much better.
  6. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    I hope you're not lyeing.
  7. Goomer
    Goomer

Name:
    Frank Mendo
    Lye is a little overkill me thinks.

Just about any mild degreaser would drip that right off.