Waste Tank corrosion on 4 yr old CDS

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
Our 2013 Hydramaster CDS unit began leaking from the "bung hole" under the waste tank discharge area. Our local service shop claims it is from corrosion in the aluminum. Seems a little odd a 4 year old unit that is well taken care of, dumped daily, and rinsed out weekly would have this kind of issue in such a short amount of time.

Anyone had this happen? We have an '08 CDS that runs day and night and never has had an issue like this. We bought 2 CDS units in 2013 and the other unit shows no sign of any corrosion. We are currently seeking to create a warranty claim, so we'll see how that goes. Sani-Bright Unit #14 Waste Tank  Bung Hole Port 072417 1 of 2.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree 4 years on a tank I wouldn't think you'd have an issue. We've had aluminum tanks last nearly 20 years with a lot less care.

Could it be the pipe thread that goes into the tank cracked and caused corrosion? :headscratch:

Reactions: Cleanworks

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Had that happen with my CDS. Not so fast. Exact same place.
Seems like a problem in design or manufacturing with their tanks to me.

Name
Nate W.
They don't make them like they used too....:eekk:

A friend of mine had to weld 2 cds tanks for another cleaner, for corrosion also.. I know other people say to rinse out tanks daily..

I'd still like a sprinkler type setup for a waste tank cleanout.. My pops good friend who owned another cleaning company used a hose that he made to help rinse out the "fine silt" that would accumulate on the bottom of the tanks..

Name
Jeff T
Why do they not make the tanks with a sloped bottom, so that all you have to do is rinse it with a garden hose? Flat bottom is not the way to do it..... then, nothing would accumulate.....

Reactions: TomKing and Mikey P

Chris A

Name
Chris
Mine started getting the first pinhole leaks around year 5, now at 9 years old there's a half dozen or so small holes that I've goobed up with jb weld

Chris A

Name
Chris
IMG_20170727_080452.jpg

Grass ain't always greener though, this is the front of the water pond on my 18 month old pro1200. Like you it's cleaned fairly often but looks like shit for a unit less than two years old

Reactions: Bob Pruitt
Name
Kevin De Medeiros
View attachment 73736

Grass ain't always greener though, this is the front of the water pond on my 18 month old pro1200. Like you it's cleaned fairly often but looks like shit for a unit less than two years old
Same thing happened to the finish on my prochem chemical rack . after 6 months was corroding wherever the slightest bit of moisture hit it. Same finish u have on that tank. Its a shame. You spend a ton of money on these things and should be able to hold up under any condition. A few months after buying, looks like crap.

Reactions: jcooper and Chris A
Name
Lee Stockwell
In 1983 my dad, Ralph Stockwell, helped me build a stainless steel combined solution and recovery tank that is still going strong.

I ran the shear and brake, he ran the tig and plasma. He welded as fast as I could feed him the pieces. Side curved to exactly fit the van and wheel cutout. Finished in one afternoon that I cherish.

I hate to see the lazy design of most tanks.

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
Is that water pond powder coated?
I have never had anything powder coated that lasts more than 2 years. I cring every time a manufacturer puts powder coated as one of their features.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Nate W.
In 1983 my dad, Ralph Stockwell, helped me build a stainless steel combined solution and recovery tank that is still going strong.

I ran the shear and brake, he ran the tig and plasma. He welded as fast as I could feed him the pieces. Side curved to exactly fit the van and wheel cutout. Finished in one afternoon that I cherish.

I hate to see the lazy design of most tanks.

It obviously comes down to cost... The big manufactures need tank overhauls...

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm going to be pulling my waste tank out very soon to move in to another vehicle. I see pits inside of it at the bottom. Is there anything I can do to it to help prevent the problems above while I have it out?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm going to be pulling my waste tank out very soon to move in to another vehicle. I see pits inside of it at the bottom. Is there anything I can do to it to help prevent the problems above while I have it out?
Watch the acid rinses. Rinse it and open the lid and let it dry out now and then.

All the moisture from the tank and then closed up in a truck doesn't allow shit to dry. Metal, moisture, extended time=corrosion. All that is magnified if the truck sits out in the elements day in and day out. I know some of it is unavoidable but its also ridiculous for us to cry foul on a waste tank that gets abused.

In the CDS tank, its sounds more like an isolated problem with the drain outlet weld. ???

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Chris A

Name
Chris
Jebus, is that the inside?

No right on the front of the water pond, my new rig with 160 hours is showing rust at the bottom also. It's very visible and looks like crap. My local interlink is looking into it

Name
Nate W.
Watch the acid rinses. Rinse it and open the lid and let it dry out now and then.

All the moisture from the tank and then closed up in a truck doesn't allow shit to dry. Metal, moisture, extended time=corrosion. All that is magnified if the truck sits out in the elements day in and day out. I know some of it is unavoidable but its also ridiculous for us to cry foul on a waste tank that gets abused.

In the CDS tank, its sounds more like an isolated problem with the drain outlet weld. ???

I've heard of guys who will leave their WT valves open at the end of the day.. I think it's more of people using the pump out and less dumping/rinsing the tank out.. The way the tank is designed with the pump out seems to be the problem imho..

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom