Water Damage Nightmare

WISE

for this homeowner.

I was called out to quote a price on some new hardwood floors. I get there and the place is in shambles really. The homeowner tells me he had a water damage 3 weeks ago and is trying to get things put back together. So we talk about the hardwoods, he shows me the areas, etc...I take my measurements and then get my meters to check the subfloor to make sure they are in range to put the wood down....Here is where the problems begin.

Subfloor--28% or more in about half of the house. So I asked a few questions about the water damage. He called this full page ad company--(toilet supply line broke btw). They came out extracted, pulled every square inch of carpet, hardwood, vinyl. Pulled 90% of the baseboards--which they did not cut the top of so the drywall is all peeled up the wall from that. Installed an insane amount of equipment for 9 days, never pulled the toe kick on the kitchen cabinets. They did pull the insulation underneath in the crawl. The subfloor in the crawl is over 40%--my BD-10 only goes up to 40%. The joists are high, but not real bad considering the climate here. And then gave him a bill for a few dollars short of $10,000.

Waiting to see what happens next, the adjuster called me and was PISSED...I met him there and showed him what I found. By now he is really PISSED! The homeowner is a Dr. who is not home much, but he is getting frustrated nothing is getting done. We talked about alot of things, including time left wet since date of loss...and the last word was I want a number on what it will take to get this man's house back to pre loss condition as soon as possible.

I am not even sure I want to deal with this!

WISE

WISE

From what I understand, the other "mitigator" has no documentation for the adjuster on drying conditions, progress, or lack thereof in this case.

I was told by the homeowner they had 9 air movers and 4 LGR's IN THE KITCHEN! Of course, they didn't think to pull the toe kick so the base cabinets are gonna come out now. I asked the adjuster what it was like when he went in on day 7....He said it felt like it was 110 degrees and equipment EVERYWHERE. I am guessing they had so much equipment running and not controlling the temp. from the btu's that equip. was putting out so all their LGR's were basically doing nothing.

To answer your question, the adjuster had to talk to someone higher up than he, and he told me yesterday to get this man's house straight asap, and give him the paperwork---and not to rip him off! I have worked with him before so he knows we are straight up. I told him my paperwork would include a disclaimer regarding mold and possible additional damage we have not discovered yet (like when the cabinets are pulled)--anyway, the disclaimer and waiver of liability will have to be accepted before we even entertain the thought of taking this on. We do have clearance testing as part of the terms. They are taking it very seriously as the adjuster and two people up the ladder from him are working on it today (Sat). I don't like it one bit, but if they accept my terms, I will get on it.

Over a week drying--after they tore out everything--$10,000--and still soaked. Unbelievable really.

WISE

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's too bad, I hate to see it happen like that, even when it's competition.

It doesn't do our industry any good to get a black eye like that.

In fact it just makes it more difficult on the guy that is doing it right, as you get lumped in with the idiots and stumble bums!

Good luck, sounds like a good job if they agree to your terms.

WISE

The ever generous Al Bradham has offered to come over with me today and put another set of eyes on this thing. Al is awesome, no question I would not be where I am now without his guidance/help.

Richard you are 100% correct.

WISE

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's great the two of you can work together like that.

Competition can be tough, but in all reality we couldn't handle all the work if they gave it to us.

We try not to tread on others....as much as we would like to at times.

Those other guys may not have been bad guys, just under educated and don't realize!

steve g

Name
steve garrett
WISE said:
..He said it felt like it was 110 degrees and equipment EVERYWHERE.

so basically he created a TES unit with all the stuff, so maybe a few things you might not think would have actually dried

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I remember my place flooded and I was drying it out... As I was setting up the equipment I was telling my room-mate about an article I read about how extended drying times are caused by the home-owners moving equipment, shutting it off or closing certain doors and causing the temperature to rise in the drying area....

I come back home, and he had everything shoved into the back room with the door closed. It was well over 90 degrees in there.

He had to watch a movie and it was too noisy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom